newbrew is offline Senior Member

How do you feel about Mercury in fish?

What are your thoughts about Mercury? Any of you know much about it?

Obviously mercury is bad, and it seems its in pretty much everything, including fish.

Any of you know how the body processes mercury, how long it takes to be cleaned from the system (if it does?), etc?

Some interesting links.....

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html
    .12ppm of mercury in canned tuna

http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.asp?ID=1852

Amounts leading to toxicity: The average intake of mercury varies with location and diet. It may range from 10 mcg. to more than 500 mcg., mainly depending on air contamination. Industrial cities and heavily sprayed farmland have the highest levels. The average overall daily intake is probably about 30-50 mcg. Most humans can process at least that much daily without any problems.

Blood levels of mercury should be below .02 ppm, while hair levels may be higher, up to about 3-5 ppm. More than 5 ppm becomes a concern. When these levels are exceeded, we should look for the sources of increased exposure and work toward avoiding or eliminating them.

newbrew is offline Senior Member
    The agencies say one should consume, on average, no more than 0.1 microgram of mercury per kilogram of body weight per day. If you weigh 130 pounds, then one 6-ounce serving of swordfish, fresh tuna, shark or eight ounces of canned tuna in a given week could send you over that limit (though mercury levels vary from fish to fish within a species). Not that this mercury would stay with you forever; it lingers for a month or two before the body flushes it out.

NotHuman is offline New Member
    Good topic. Ive read a few articles on fish mercury. I had a really good one with some detailed info but cant seem to find it here. personally i could care less due to the fact that just about everything we eat and drink these days can cause some kind of cancer or disease according to medical research. Its unfortunate that we have to think about these things. So if i die at age 35 from mercury poisoning becuase i ate to much tuna no big deal becuase i would probably have died at age 38 from cancer caused by using my cellphone. JM2c

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    we have just been advised in UK to eat smoked salmon just occasionally due to mercury pollution. Bad news for those who us who have been eating it a lot already!!

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by newbrew
    What are your thoughts about Mercury? Any of you know much about it?

Obviously mercury is bad, and it seems its in pretty much everything, including fish.

Any of you know how the body processes mercury, how long it takes to be cleaned from the system (if it does?), etc?

Some interesting links.....

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html
    .12ppm of mercury in canned tuna

http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.asp?ID=1852

Amounts leading to toxicity: The average intake of mercury varies with location and diet. It may range from 10 mcg. to more than 500 mcg., mainly depending on air contamination. Industrial cities and heavily sprayed farmland have the highest levels. The average overall daily intake is probably about 30-50 mcg. Most humans can process at least that much daily without any problems.

Blood levels of mercury should be below .02 ppm, while hair levels may be higher, up to about 3-5 ppm. More than 5 ppm becomes a concern. When these levels are exceeded, we should look for the sources of increased exposure and work toward avoiding or eliminating them.
    This is all well and good, but honestly, what are you supposed to do about it? Stop eating fish? After that you can stop eating beed because they shoot it up with hormones, stop eating eggs because of bacteria, stop eating veggies because of pesticide?

The sceintists are always fast to point out problems but the solutions are few and far between.

jasper1968 is offline Associate Member
    I am not overly concerned. However, I do not eat much tuna or seafood for that matter...

Tushe is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001
    we have just been advised in UK to eat smoked salmon just occasionally due to mercury pollution. Bad news for those who us who have been eating it a lot already!!
    That was the front page of the Daily Mail.

They talk sh*t.

T.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    All I can say is do limit your fish intake just like you want to limit and protein source. Sorry I mean vary it up. I hardly eat tuna or fish anymore except when I go out to eat. Other than that switch it up.... chicken, turkey, beef, eggs...etc. Why limit your protein to just fish??

SplinterCell is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    All I can say is do limit your fish intake just like you want to limit and protein source. Sorry I mean vary it up. I hardly eat tuna or fish anymore except when I go out to eat. Other than that switch it up.... chicken, turkey, beef, eggs...etc. Why limit your protein to just fish??
    Well put, plus chicken in bulk at costco is just as cheap as tune.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SplinterCell
    Well put, plus chicken in bulk at costco is just as cheap as tune.
    Yeah, yeah.... must be nice to have a costco around.....jerk.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Mercury causes Autism in your offspring!
    im going to pop out like 3 autistic kids and hopefully one will be able to play awsome music on piano, one will be able to crunch numbers and the third will be nothing but PURE ENTERTAINMENT... with his hat of course
    Please dont flame... i can talk like this due to my own personal mental condition!

Thread Information