beenie is offline Senior Member

Dextrose after cardio

Should dextrose be taken after intense cardio? It would seem that intence cardio can lead to muscle loss so taking dextrose would be prudent. Right?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Why would you purposely want to blunt lipolysis?

Unless you aren't doing cardio for fat burning, but that still wouldn't warrant dextrose of all things, no.

~SC~

SplinterCell is offline Senior Member
    Nope

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    what do you mean INTENSE? like maybe 20 100m Sprints all out to no end .. i would definetly take in some carbs pre work out 2hrs or so moderate GI and mild amount of dex/pro due to the fact it would be similar to a high rep leg work out.
    but if your doing like 30min of jogging at 80%MHR or something i wouldnt touch any carbs post cardio.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

Unless you aren't doing cardio for fat burning, but that still wouldn't warrant dextrose of all things, no.

~SC~
    Look at this guy!!!! Wins a few shows, helps numerous people achieve their dream physiques, gets some articles wrote about him in popular magazines, runs his own training biz and he suddenly thinks he knows it all....

Quote Originally Posted by BIG TEXAN
    Look at this guy!!!! Wins a few shows, helps numerous people achieve their dream physiques, gets some articles wrote about him in popular magazines, runs his own training biz and he suddenly thinks he knows it all....

What's up bro.

~SC~

What's up bro.

~SC~
    Just getting back in the swing of things.... instead of just hanging out in the lounge. Figured it's time to start helping people out again. (Got burned out for awhile)

Everyone gets burned out, everyone!

One has to experience both sides of the extreme to excel at one side.

Congrats on getting back into it!

~SC~

~SC~
    Ohhhh. Okay. I feel so screwed up. My work outs, I am told are too long, because first I lift for 60-90 minutes, then I do my cardio - 45 min.. I was told to split it into two workouts, cardio in the AM and weights in the PM for the longest time. Last week I broke down and tried it. I was so tired I began hatinting working out after the 4th day of this. Wake up 6am shower, get dressed, drag my sorry ass to the gym get undressed then redressed then work out for 45 min, get undressed shower get dressed, go to work, go back to the gym get undresessed work out shower get dressed. Go home, eat, get undressed, have sex, take another shower, get dressed again. Seems like I was taking off and putting on my clothes more than I was working out. Its tiring just thinking about it.

What's more, the second workout, the PM one, I felt so tired that my lifts were not as strong as usual. I have now switched back to the old routine of my really long workouts. When would I take dextrose? After lifting but before cardio, given my current routine.

I have not started taking it. I am pretty lean, but not as cut as I would like. I have been getting decent mass, but that is partly due to scientific aids and also because I work out very hard. If dextrose can help me, I certainly have no aversion to it and will try something, if I could figure out a way to make it beneficial to my goals.

Everyone gets burned out, everyone!

One has to experience both sides of the extreme to excel at one side.

Congrats on getting back into it!

~SC~
    Thanks.... now the only challenge to helping is beating you to the threads dammit!!!

It'll never happen!

~SC~

trippyx is offline Junior Member
    dude you like talking bout getting undressed huh?

Quote Originally Posted by trippyx
    dude you like talking bout getting undressed huh?
    My point was quite serious, so I am glad that you revived the thread. The point isn't so much in talking about it, it's more about the amount of time it takes to do it. 15 miutes each time counting the time and its a lot of times. When you add a second workout to the day, even if it is just a 60 minute workout you are really talking about much longer, because you must add the tiome to an frm the gym, the amount of time to shower, and the time getting dressed and undressed. Hence 1 two hour workout takes 3 REAL hours (what I have been doing) out of a day. 2 One hour workouts really means 4 hours out of the day (what has been suggested and I tried and was killing me). If I were a student or didn't have a life, I guess it wouldn't be a big deal, but for me, I don't understand that how a regular person with a geular job at which they arive in an office at 930 and go home (or to the gym at 6 or 630) can possibly do it - at least in New York. Maybe its possible for someone living in Nebraska or something where they don't need to dress up for work. commute on the subway, etc.
    Last edited by beenie; 04-27-2005 at 02:31 PM.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    are you still doing your cardio post-workout?

I tried switching it last week so i was doing cardio before work and weights after. The amount of time that it was taking me was exorbinate and I was spending more energy getting to and from the gym than I was at the gym. The effect was that my PM session I was very weak, not to mention the fact that my gym is very crowded any time after 6, so I was waiting for equipment - even less time efficient. So yes, on Friday I went back to doing my cardio post-lifting. At least my lifting strength is back.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    'k

I do Cardio post-workout too...due to time constraints

When i do...i DO ingest dextrose PWO

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    'k

I do Cardio post-workout too...due to time constraints

When i do...i DO ingest dextrose PWO
    When you say that you take dextrose PWO, do you mean after your cardio or before your cardio and after your lifting? In either event, what are the results you have achieved? How long have you been taking it? How long did it take to see the results? What, eactly were the results?

I know I have a lot of qyuestions and some may seem sophmoric, but i hadn't really seen much discussion here execpt from people that are either incredibnly out of shape, or at/near competition level (so they make/have the time at the expense of other persuits (a job, a life, etc.)).

jixxxer is offline Associate Member
    I do my workout, take in my pwo shake and then start cardio. How is this? The only other thing i could do wouble be workout am and cardio for lunch break. Would this be better than doing both at the same time?

If you ingest dextrose before cardio, not only are you not going to burn ANY fat being that your insulin level is through the ROOF, you are burning off much needed nutrition to help you begin recovery from your weight training workout.

Far from ideal, very very very far.

~SC~

If you ingest dextrose before cardio, not only are you not going to burn ANY fat being that your insulin level is through the ROOF, you are burning off much needed nutrition to help you begin recovery from your weight training workout.

Far from ideal, very very very far.

~SC~
    Thiis makes some sence as the body looks to carbs as energy first. This being said, someone had suggested waiting a few minutes in between lifting and cardio. Think that 30 minutes would do it, or how long, would be a minimum to wait?

Assuming your response is 2 hours or something non-do-able like that, am I better off skipiing dextrose assuming that I continue to do my cardio after lifting.

If you must do cardio after weights, jump right into the cardio and try to keep the initial weight training time down as well. A 30/30 split is okay, then drink your shake about 10 mins after cardio.

~SC~

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    If you must do cardio after weights, jump right into the cardio and try to keep the initial weight training time down as well. A 30/30 split is okay, then drink your shake about 10 mins after cardio.

~SC~
    aye 30/30 is harsh GL w/ 30min cardio!!!

~SC~
    This is an interesting aproach that I think that I will try. I can make another change to adapt to it. Currently I wait a minute or two between sets. If I co in early enough I may be able to move back and forth between exersises, so maybe I can squeeze in more lifting in a shorter amount of time to compensate. I like taking the rest between sets, but if this aproach yeilds improved results, then it will be worth it.

This represents a major shakeup to my routine.

Board members: Please be on notice. I am reporting back in a week.

Thread Information