diesel85 is offline Junior Member

opinions on this...

used this in another post, it talks about pre and post workout nutrition, wondered what everyone's take on it might be...

http://www.outlawmuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4789

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    What is it about, that's an awfully long read and I'm pretty busy.

~SC~

i cut and pasted the main idea below, it basically talks about drinking a pre and/or during workout shake, as well as a post workout one...it's the foundation of that book i was talking about in another post...Nutrient Timing

Carbohydrates: 0.8-1.0 g/kg of bodyweight

To make the best possible blend, it is recommended that the carbohydrates be a 50/50 blend of dextrose (glucose) and maltodextrin. The dextrose will be absorbed very quickly and be put to work. But why not make it all dextrose you ask? Because glucose is actively transported across the cellular membrane into the muscle [9], there is a limit to the amount that can cross at any given time. Overloading the system can lead to it being oxidized, meaning that not all of it may end up in the muscles. Instead, we include maltodextrin, which takes a fraction longer to reach the ambush cite, and we are better able to create anabolic fusion.

Protein: 0.4-0.6 g/kg of bodyweight

Which protein to use is a little more complicated. As in the case of carbohydrates, we want to use the fastest absorbing protein possible. Hydrolyzed whey protein is o_ne of the most quickly absorbed due to an enzymatic production method that leaves the amino acids open for use. The o_nly problem with the hydrolyzed proteins is their taste. If I can guess something that tastes similar, it probably is urinal cakes. Well, maybe not that bad, but you get my point.

There are two methods around this problem. You can either decrease the amount of hydrolyzed proteins by replacing this amount with whey isolates (another faster acting protein), or find a way to cover up the taste. You will have to see what will work best for you and your puke reflex. I personally use the first method. It works well, tastes good, and is a little more cost effective. A friend of mine forgets about the maltodextrin and adds this amount of powdered sports drinks to cover up the bitter taste of the hydrolyzed whey. Tastes good and seems to work well. In this case, you would definitely want to make sure you have the dextrose, maybe even a little extra.

Fructose, which is often used in these sports drink products, is ingested more slowly through facilitated transport, apparently has an ingestion limit somewhere around 60%, and usually shows signs of gastrointestinal distress at levels around 50 [16, 21]. Glucose, when ingested simultaneously with fructose, seems to accelerate the rate of fructose absorption and raises the level needed to cause the gastrointestinal distress [16, 21].

High octane kickers!

The above formula will work well by itself, but adding the following kickers can possibly knock your recovery and growth to another level.

5-10 grams of Branched Chain Amino Acids and Glutamine.

This includes 3-5 grams of BCAA and/or 3-5 grams of glutamine. All four of these amino acids are essential to muscular growth but their inclusion into this mixture goes beyond this. First, during exercise, they may be used to create energy by the working muscle cells thus increasing the body's need for them post-exercise. Secondly, BCAAs are not regulated by the liver and pass directly into circulation for quick use in muscle protein synthesis [9]. Lastly, added glutamine can result in many benefits that are all needed post exercise. Glutamine is essential in the transport of nitrogen, excretion of ammonia as the result of gluconeogenesis, and is used for energy by the immune system and intestinal cells [9]. Each of these systems is taxed as the result of strenuous activities so their inclusion may be beneficial.

3-5 grams of creatine monohydrate.

The benefits of this supplement are well documented and most if not all of you are familiar with its benefits and uses by now. The synergistic results of the other ingredients make this an ideal deliverer of creatine.

Recap

0.8-1.0 g/kg of a 50/50 blend of dextrose and maltodextrin
    0.4-0.6 g/kg of hydrolyzed whey protein or a blend of this and a whey isolate (a minimum of 50% hydrolyzed whey)
    3-5 grams of BCAA
    3-5 grams of glutamine
    3-5 grams of creatine monohydrate.
    *Drink ½ of this mixture pre (less than 15 minutes before exercise) and/or during your workout. Because of decreased gastric emptying during moderate to high intensity exercise, it has been hypothesized that during exercise supplements should be kept to a solution of 10% concentration or less (Anataraman et al. 1995). This means that a during exercise supplement will need to be mixed in 1-2 liters of water. That is a lot of fluid to drink during a 45-60 minute workout. If it is a little more concentrated, the results will probably not be affected much, so you need to see what is going to work for you.

no comments? ****...

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    pre work out shakes Rock if composed properly and consumed at right time.
    during workout .. STUPID no need to pull blood to gut to process that shyt while lifting. oh all this is JMO im no doc. and post work out is most important i always try to include 2-5 grams of free aminos in both

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I've seen things like this before about drinking part of your pwo shake before or during the workout, but it's pretty pointless.

Try it for yourself I suppose, but I'll never employ that nor suggest it.

~SC~

what if, let's say, my meal 4 goes down at about 6:00pm, and i can't get to the gym until 8:30 or maybe later...should i just do my workout and then PWO, or try to fit a small meal in first? this was the purpose of me posting that article, cuz i was thinking in that situation, instead of trying to hit it on an empty stomach, i'd have something in my gut...

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    so u cant drink maybe.. a small protein shake w/ 1/4 or 1/2 cup oats blended in it? about 1hr or so before lifting?

Thread Information