insanepump621 is offline Member

is it really that bad to do cardio during or after workout

Due to my job it is a major hassle to go do cardio in the morning. I am on a lean muscle mass diet. I am 20 yrs old and weigh 191 with 11.4% bodyfat. I am currently lifting all natural will eventually starting my 2nd cycle. I am doing cardio in between chest and tris and in between back and bis and maybe on a off day. How much am i dimishing my muscle gains and hurting my actual fat burning stage. Thank

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by insanepump621
    Due to my job it is a major hassle to go do cardio in the morning. I am on a lean muscle mass diet. I am 20 yrs old and weigh 191 with 11.4% bodyfat. I am currently lifting all natural will eventually starting my 2nd cycle. I am doing cardio in between chest and tris and in between back and bis and maybe on a off day. How much am i dimishing my muscle gains and hurting my actual fat burning stage. Thank
    Curious what your goals are. You are pretty young to be in your second cycle, but I will try not to judge you and I can only assume that you know what you are doing.

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    You def. sacrifice muscle gains doing that. I wouldnt worry too much about cardio. I think most people put too much emphasis on doing cardio. IMO its only good for about a month when you want your bf the lowest possible then your body adapts to it. I know a lot of bbers that only do cardio 1m before a show. Focus on lifting you can burn just as much calories that way as well.

-SHRED

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Depends mostly on what your "lean muscle mass diet" actually is more-so than anything.

But cardio after working out does suck, I have to say.

~SC~

Also, I just re-read that you were going to do chest, then do cardio, then do triceps after? Same for back/bi's?

No way.

~SC~

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    Ihave read that doing only 20 mins after a workout is best if that is the only time you have to do it. Because while you were lfting you burnt all the sugars in your blood while lifting now that its time to do cardio you will be burning nothing but BF

I dont see as much harm in it after a lift as some people do. The only ****ty thing I can see is instead of a protien/dextrose meal, you may have missed that 30 min window for PWO recovery fuel, and in that case you'd be better doing a whole food meal 20-30 min after the cardio. It's not something I'd make an everyday habit out of, but if thats your only time available, then yes, do it. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by steve0
    Ihave read that doing only 20 mins after a workout is best if that is the only time you have to do it. Because while you were lfting you burnt all the sugars in your blood while lifting now that its time to do cardio you will be burning nothing but BF
    That's the surface of the subject only, the selling point being that it's "easier" to break into fat burning mode because of the low levels of blood glucose. What it doesn't address is how you blunt fat burning immediately when you consume what should be the ideal pwo shake, cutting into recovery time, aerobic and anaerobic activity together, etc., etc.

~SC~

Why not do it in between muscle groups swole... I figured do some chest give it a 20 min rest or so then do tris when they are a little more rested

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by insanepump621
    Why not do it in between muscle groups swole... I figured do some chest give it a 20 min rest or so then do tris when they are a little more rested
    My name isn't SwoleCat but I'll attempt to field this one anyway...

1) You're missing crucial recovery time for your chest by not taking a PWO shake immediately afterwards with protein and carbs. If you do take one afterwards and before cardio, your cardio is useless.

2) Your body is close to a catabolic state after a workout with no PWO nutrition, and doing cardio definately puts you catabolic. This is bad.

3) You'll get a $hitty Tricep workout after cardio.

4) If you down a PWO shake after you're all done, you are stopping fat burning in its tracks. Much more beneficial to go to sleep an hour early and wake up an hour early so you can do cardio, then eat a Protein/Fat meal or two, and keep your metabolism as high as possible. You can still burn fat sitting on your ass if you don't have any carbs in your system and you did cardio.

Yeah, waking up early sucks. But determination is what sets us apart from all the fat lazy slobs of America, and that's the reason why everyone doesn't look like a bodybuilder. It takes some d@mn hard work.

I already have to wake up between 5 am and 530 my gym opens at like 5 so it wouldnt even really be any time neways

IMO muscle recovery and maintenance is more important for body composition then actual "cardio" is... because your muscle mass pretty much makes or breaks your metabolism.

cdogge is offline Associate Member
    so when is the best time to do cardio? I usually do about 25 mins after i lift...but apparently thats not good

Quote Originally Posted by cdogge
    so when is the best time to do cardio? I usually do about 25 mins after i lift...but apparently thats not good
    On an empty stomach right when you wake up

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Not a diet guru but you dont have to go to the gym to do cardio. Take a good bisk walk down the road for 30 min.

Quote Originally Posted by brew035
    Not a diet guru but you dont have to go to the gym to do cardio. Take a good bisk walk down the road for 30 min.
    EXCELLENT point...

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    EXCELLENT point...
    Using this as a criterian, I would never need to do cardio. I walk to work 25 minutes walk to the gym 25 minutes, walk home 25 minutes. I never really count this because I dont think I am gettin my heart rate up anywhere near 75% of target. I really think that I would need to run to accomplish this and a "brisk walk" ain't gunna cut it.

Thread Information