gotjuice? is offline Associate Member

body fat scale, any good?

i just bought a body fat scale at the sporting goods store. it says my body fat is at 17%. can this be right if i can see all my abs and my veins are noticably out and big on both arms. i see guys on here that say they are 12 % BF and cant see any abs. and guys on here that say that are less than 10% BF and my body looks the same as theirs does.... so is the scale wrong.......im 5' 10" 170.......i eat pretty clean and do 30 min cardio 4x a week in the am

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    I read somewhere that those scales are precise but not accurate.

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    very very inaccurate bro.

gino_slayer is offline Associate Member
    those scales depend on a many factors, one of which is hydration. They send a current through your body and depending on how well it flows it calculates you bf%, so you were probably really hydrated when you stepped on the scale. For that reason they are not really good for calculating actual bodyfat but what they are good for is if you want to track progress over a period of time... say you measure you bf% tomorrow morning right after you ****, shower, and shave and measure it a couple of weeks later in the morning at the same time and under the same conditions it will give you a consistent reading regarding if youve gained or lost fat, it just wont be accurate in the number it gives you.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gotjuice?
    i just bought a body fat scale at the sporting goods store. it says my body fat is at 17%. can this be right if i can see all my abs and my veins are noticably out and big on both arms. i see guys on here that say they are 12 % BF and cant see any abs. and guys on here that say that are less than 10% BF and my body looks the same as theirs does.... so is the scale wrong.......im 5' 10" 170.......i eat pretty clean and do 30 min cardio 4x a week in the am
    They are 100% accurate. They NEVER lie. Guess you are not in as good shape as you thought.

gino_slayer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beenie
    They are 100% accurate. They NEVER lie. Guess you are not in as good shape as you thought.
    actually they ARE NOT 100% accurate... most of the time its off. If you want to test it out then drink as little water as you can one day and test yourself, then the next day take back 5 - 6 litres of water and test yourself... you cant tell me that youve gained that much bf% in one day! It's a major flaw of those scales. Use fat calipers to measure and either the Yuhasz or Durnin technique to calculate your bodyfat... that is your most reliable method.

Quote Originally Posted by beenie
    Are you being sarcastic? Those scales suck ass

My body is close to AandF6969.......do u know your BF ???......

My body is close to AandF6969.......do u know your BF ???......
    About 8%

you might be a little leaner than me. so maybe im at about 10%...so the scale can be off by that much huh???.....thanks for your replies

diesel85 is offline Junior Member
    actually, Tanita has one out that measures water composition as well, and according to them, it has a 5% error, meaning, you could be 16.15% to 17.85%, HOWEVER, like someone mentioned, it depends on a variety of factors, i.e., you're supposed to measure yourself later on in the day, say around 4 or 5pm, and do so each time you measure (you need to have eaten a few meals)...this of course was all passed on to me by a Tanita rep, sooooo....

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    Are you being sarcastic? Those scales suck ass
    Yep, I was being sarcastic. It you see something that OBVIOUSLY isn't true, I don't even understand why the question is being posed.

The scales are reasonble accurate for me. Last summer I was cutting. The guy at the gym used callibers and put me at 12%. My tanita put me at 11%. Did the water dispacement at Rutgers and the had me at 8.6% I suppose its all within the 5% margin of error, but the difference between 9 and 14% is a pretty big deal.

alphaman is offline Member
    they suck azz, period. especially for those in our category.

alphaman is offline Member
    Perfect example.

diesel85 is offline Junior Member
    I suppose its all within the 5% margin of error, but the difference between 9 and 14% is a pretty big deal.[/QUOTE]

Beenie, it's not like that, it's 5% of the total, meaning, if it reads 10%, then you take 5% of that, and add/subtract from the 10, so you be between 9.5% and 10.5%...

Thread Information