rschenck is offline New Member

Can this be right?

I have a good friend who wanted to compete in his first show. He weighs 170lb and is in good shape. His daily intake of stats were as follows.

eating 7 times a day

260g pro 140g carb 40g fat

He passed out at work after 6 days on the diet and the docter told him because his carbs were so low if he stayed on the diet he would have had a heart attack. Can this be right, atkins diet they take in a lot less carbs. His carbs were from post workout, Oatmeal, brown rice, myoplex and veggies.

What do you think?

MrMent1on is offline National Level Bodybuilder
    That doctor needs to be shot. unless your friend was lying to you about his carb intake. My carb intake was close to 0 for 4 day and 1 day 150 carbs and I'm heavier than your friend. go figure. its not the because of the carb. something else is going on with your friend. just my opinion.

wild-one is offline Female Member
    I would think it had more to do w/ a combination of his total calories being too low and maybe an underlying health issue (low blood pressure?) and/or too much activity.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I believe he may either have diabetes or have an early form of diabetes.

His blood sugar cannot stay stable enough w/having carbs only in the time-frame of PWO.
    I bet if he included oats in the morning, perhaps some before training (oats in both cases) as well as his usual PWO offerings, you'd see that he really has no issues.

Tell the doctor SwoleCat said that.

~SC~

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

His blood sugar cannot stay stable enough w/having carbs only in the time-frame of PWO.
    I bet if he included oats in the morning, perhaps some before training (oats in both cases) as well as his usual PWO offerings, you'd see that he really has no issues.

~SC~
    But Doc....Swolecat said..... I can see it....

Sorry I didn't mena to take away from the thread.

~SC~
    Just wondering what in that post you base the diabetes call on?

260g pro 140g carb 40g fat

His carbs were from post workout, Oatmeal, brown rice, myoplex and veggies.
    rschenck.....just reread that...and the way you write it suggests he was counting veggies in his carb intake...which would mean even lower total calories than what I originally thought...if this is the case...why is he going so low on cal intake?

He was not counting calories he was trying to keep his statistics with the above numbers. He was eating oats early and brown rice during the day and carbs from his shakes and veggies. He was eating seven tiems a day but I just was lost when he said the docter told him because of his diet he was headed for a heart attack and he is only 19 and a natural body builder. He asked me what I thought and his mom was freaking out. She even maid him quit the gym he was going to. I was lost and personally thought he may have had heat exhaustion since he works in the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by wild-one
    Just wondering what in that post you base the diabetes call on?

May want to RE-READ my post again, as there is an explanation within.

Passing out because of low blood sugar (thus the need for carbs aka "sugars" in the blood) is a tell tale sign of blood sugar issues that can be indicative of diabetes, or an early form of it.

It's really pretty clear. This may not be the case here, however it's a very valid avenue that should be explored. I've had many diabetic clients w/the same issues, hence me drawing from real-world tactile experience.

~SC~

May want to RE-READ my post again, as there is an explanation within.

Passing out because of low blood sugar (thus the need for carbs aka "sugars" in the blood) is a tell tale sign of blood sugar issues that can be indicative of diabetes, or an early form of it.

It's really pretty clear. This may not be the case here, however it's a very valid avenue that should be explored. I've had many diabetic clients w/the same issues, hence me drawing from real-world tactile experience.

~SC~
    Thanks...I read yours just fine

Again, not saying that I am 100% correct, because it would be an assinine assumption for me to think so, but I'm very confident that the said problem is related to what I proposed in some way shape/form. How much can only be determined by the appropriate tests, trial diets, etc.

~SC~

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    I'm on 0 carbs and still kicking!

skribbble is offline Member
    I went 0 carbs for 3 days. I was more tired then usual of course but never to the point where i couldnt function.

I appreciate all the imput. I am going to pass on the info to him. Thanks swole I think you are probably on the right track.

Thread Information