Thread: Trader Joes

Hans is offline Associate Member

Trader Joes

Anybody have these stores where they live? Everything seems to be healthy and natural. They have a huge selection of chips/crckers/dried fruits/etc for snacks. I've got a really clean diet, 5 to 6 XED, but do crave snacks too. Concerned of the sodium in the natural potato chips opr veggie chips or 97% fat free beef/turkey or salmon jerkey, too much natural sugar in the dried fruit, etc. Realize i'm strict on diet and really trying and succeeding with a clean diet, but this selection made me drool. Thoughts?

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    no room for snacking on a cutting diet. I have trader joes where I live, it sux. Whole foods is much better.

GQSuperman is offline Banned

if your rich

whole foods costs an arm and a leg. i picked up my girl some, OJ, milk and cheese once and it was like 18 bucks. i can buy three times that much at a regular store.

well for those not biased to price or cutting, what do you think of the snack-sodium/sugar post originally started here?

Like I said there are no "snacks" in a cutting diet only meals. You should be eating every 2 and half to three hours anyways so it shouldn't be an issue.

Whole foods you pay for what you get. If you want to be sh#t meats then go save 5 dollars and go somewhere else.

-SHRED

Klossus is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    well for those not biased to price or cutting, what do you think of the snack-sodium/sugar post originally started here?
    I think if you are drinking enough water you should be ok. Beef jerky is a favorite of mine, when I choose to eat is I make sure I up my water intake for the day.

Anyone else??

but then again if youre cutting.....

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    Like I said there are no "snacks" in a cutting diet only meals. You should be eating every 2 and half to three hours anyways so it shouldn't be an issue.

Whole foods you pay for what you get. If you want to be sh#t meats then go save 5 dollars and go somewhere else.

-SHRED
    I shop at Whole Foods too. They really are a rip off, but thier stuff is better than anywhere else so, I just dont think that there is much other choice at least where I live.

The diet you describe - no snacking- is really tough. I never really thought about it much and always eat if I feel hungry. It basically works out that I eat about every 2 or 3 hours oddly. That being said, I am assuming that you have your meals planned out a day in advance with a plan like that. I guess thats the difference between those of us who can get to 9% and those of you who are able to get to 4 or 5%.

What do you do if you feel hungry and it isn't a meal time? Just wait?

(Oh by the way, did you see they put "senior member" under my name? In one sence it makes me feel proud for all of my posts over the years, some thoughtful some idiotic. In another sence it just makes me feel old - who are they calling a senior anyway?!)
    Last edited by beenie; 05-05-2005 at 06:03 AM.

alphaman is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Anybody have these stores where they live? Everything seems to be healthy and natural. They have a huge selection of chips/crckers/dried fruits/etc for snacks. I've got a really clean diet, 5 to 6 XED, but do crave snacks too. Concerned of the sodium in the natural potato chips opr veggie chips or 97% fat free beef/turkey or salmon jerkey, too much natural sugar in the dried fruit, etc. Realize i'm strict on diet and really trying and succeeding with a clean diet, but this selection made me drool. Thoughts?
    Don't flame me, but........ Trader Joe's has a bomb azz German Hefeweizen(trader joe's brand) that tastes very similar to my homemade version and it's very inexpensive. It has a touch of banana flavor like a traditional hefe is supposed to.

But......uh yeah, NO ROOM FOR SNACKING ON A CUTTING DIET!!! haha

Quote Originally Posted by beenie
    I shop at Whole Foods too. They really are a rip off, but thier stuff is better than anywhere else so, I just dont think that there is much other choice at least where I live.

The diet you describe - no snacking- is really tough. I never really thought about it much and always eat if I feel hungry. It basically works out that I eat about every 2 or 3 hours oddly. That being said, I am assuming that you have your meals planned out a day in advance with a plan like that. I guess thats the difference between those of us who can get to 9% and those of you who are able to get to 4 or 5%.

What do you do if you feel hungry and it isn't a meal time? Just wait?

(Oh by the way, did you see they put "senior member" under my name? In one sence it makes me feel proud for all of my posts over the years, some thoughtful some idiotic. In another sence it just makes me feel old - who are they calling a senior anyway?!)
    Yes all my meals are planned. Right around 2 and half hours I start to get hungry. I think a big part of snacking is being bored, because I know on the weekends if I am hanging around the house I will tend to snack more or cheat. Each meal I have keeps me full for a while. After three hours though I start to get really hungry again.

-SHRED

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Yes all my meals are planned. Right around 2 and half hours I start to get hungry. I think a big part of snacking is being bored, because I know on the weekends if I am hanging around the house I will tend to snack more or cheat. Each meal I have keeps me full for a while. After three hours though I start to get really hungry again.

-SHRED
    YES SO TRUE i never ever want to eat crap.. except on very rare occasions like if i think about going and renting a movie or something i autmatically think of JUNK FOOD to eat during it and nothing else sounds good except junk food
    or like Planning to go on a date.. i think of TGIF's or Olive Garden >< otherwise its Turkey and rice and Porkchops and eggs...

-SHRED
    Portion control too?

Quote Originally Posted by beenie
    Portion control too?
    well yeah but as you eat more frequently your metabolic rate increases and you body starts Expecting food every 2 hrs ..

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    well yeah but as you eat more frequently your metabolic rate increases and you body starts Expecting food every 2 hrs ..
    That's pretty interesting. My plan of attack has always been much simpler than most of the ones I hear described here. I am so careful in what I eat, and basically just eat if I feel hungry and stop when I no longer am. I am not sure, but I would be willing to bet you that the end result is fairly similar - at least for achieving my goals.

When I tried limiting my food intake last summer, I found that I could eat less and less. I looked awsome at first - really ripped, but then after a few weeks my muscles began to dissapear and began to look too skinny. I thought it was an interesting thing to try - in the interest of science.

here's a typical meal for me: 1 chicken breast (265/4/0/31),1 cup brown rice (217/2/45/5), 4 oz of veggies= 502/6/55/36 (cal/fat/carbs/pro)

heres one of mine!
    8oz turkey breast
    3/4cup brown rice
    1cup asparagus
    2tlbs lowsugar bbq sauce 3g sugars*
    like 72gPro|40gCarbs|5gFat
    notice i dont take in near as many carbs as shred since im prone to carb fat storage ><

here's a typical meal for me: 1 chicken breast (265/4/0/31),1 cup brown rice (217/2/45/5), 4 oz of veggies= 502/6/55/36 (cal/fat/carbs/pro)
    I'll bet I am pretty close to what you are doing albeit, with lower carbs. A typical dinner for me would be 1 chicken breast - grilled spiced with black pepper, 3 cups romain lettuce, 1 egg mixed in with the letuce, cloves garlic, about 2 tsp olive oil and 2 tsp vinager, and 3-4 anchovies. Thisa would mark a pretty big meal for me but is not atypical.

I never use the fancy pre-made sauces like barbeque sause or even ketchup because they increase sugar intake with no real health benefit.

My question is, am what I doing really so different from what you are doing? Like Taiboxa, I too am very sensitive to carbs, so I try to hold them down to a minimum - so I avoid rice completely, even brown rice.

Several of the members here have convinced me to do the dextrose thing PWO so I started doing it this week. It tastes soooooooo good. Had been years since I tasted anything sweet that wasn't artificial. I saw that in terms of calories, it seems to add about 100 for 50g - I figure it will not kill me.

A trainer at my gym told me yesterday, that the dextrose is really probably for guys who are trying to get really big, even if taken PWO, which seemed to contradict things that I have picked up from this board. It's not really consistent with my main goal which is to have okay size, but be very lean. I am really not sure now, but once again, in the interest of science I am going to continue for the next couple weeks and see if I can see a difference. Will report back.

Guess my post was misunderstood, for those not on a cutting diet, in other words....if you are on a bulking diet....which snacks are preferred that are healthiest with minimal sodium/sugar? Anybody use healthy snacks at times or is everybody here cutting?

raw almonds, cottage cheese w/fruit, protein shake.

Thanks Dr. Shred, almonds are good. Anybody else have any preferred healthy snacks while bulking that are low in sodium/sugar that are abundant in places like Trader Joes?

Went back to Trader Joe's last night and left with 7 cartons of pasteurized egg whites, some whole grain bread and frozen salmon patties. The egg white cartons are $1 dollar less than my normal grocery store. I eat the carton (10 egg whites) every monrning with oatmeal for breakfast. The bread aisle got me a bit confused as there were too many choices of naturl breads and founf myself reading the ingredients for 5 minutes and selected low sugar, high carb, very natural ingredient whole grain bread for my lunch sandwiches of turkey or salmon burgers or tuna. The salmon was molded into round 17grams of Protein cuts of Alaskan Salmon and water, 4 of them equal 1 lb for $3,99. At the checkout counter, was in line with a hot blonde who I spoke with while waiting. Outside I was putting my bag of food in my car and she came out and we exchanged phone #'s and will get together tonight. This was a worthwhile trip to Trader Joe's in more ways than one.

bro, you should try eggology's egg white at whole foods. They are more money, but much better than the fake stuff. Trader joes also has raw peanuts unsalted that are good. I love their cereal almond/vanilla its awesome for a cheat a day.

-SHRED

the egg whites I get are awesome, found at any grocery store just less price at Trader Joes compared to local grocers. Put out by Papetti Foods 100% liquid egg whites in a small milk carton, weighs 1 lb.

That beef, turkey and salmon jerky caught my eye again last night, but didnt get any cuz of the sodium content regardless of the low fat content.

Thread Information