FatD405 is offline New Member

5'8 285lbs Is this an acceptable diet?

Whats up people. I would like to know if I am eating the proper amount of calories per day. I am a very FAT 5'8 285lbs.24 Years old.I am eating 1800 calories a day as per my doctors suggestion. Do I need to eat more, or less? I am trying to lose weight.(obviously lol)

I went to the doctor last week and weighed in at 285. The good part was I weighed about 315 six months earlier when I went in. The bad news is my blood pressure was so damn high he flipped out on me. He didn't even give me time to go to the pharmacy to pick up the meds he prescribed me. He gave me a couple bottles of free samples and made me take one in front of him. Last time I was in he mentioned my blood pressure was getting a little high and I should lose some weight but this time he completely flipped out. Said I was a walking heart attack or stroke just waiting to happen. He pretty much told me I was going to die of a heart attack, stroke, or my kidneys would fail completely. I went back today and my blood pressure is back to normal from the meds he prescribed. It certainly explained the nasty headaches I was starting to get often.

So I left the doctors office, hopped in my suburban, lit up a smoke and drove off. I smoked that cigarrette fast cause I was trippin out and started coughin up a lung. I thought to myself man your gonna die cause your a ****ing bitch ass punk!! I drove to the pharmacy and picked up my pills along with some nicotine patches that I have been wearing.

So it has been a week. I know, only a week. But that is why I am here cause I want to make sure I do this right.

As far as my eating habits go . . . I don't really eat alot of junk food. I went up to 315 I think mostly because there was a stretch where I was busy constantly and ended up just grabbing some fast food on my way home, eating and going to bed. However that is not and never has been the norm for me. Aside from when I was a fat little kid I've never been big on junk food, sweets, or pop. I do recognize I ate alot of carbs though. Up untill a week ago I have only ate on average one meal a day for several years. Usually late in the evening or at night before I went to bed. I know a lot of fat people go through life lookin for the next snickers but it honestly hasn't been me. I drink about half a gallon of tea a day (decaf. no sugar). I've never lifted weights before other than screwing around. I am a fairly active person in that I don't sit around all day and I like to stay busy.

So far I have walked every morning as soon as I wake up for the last week. It is about 3.2 miles. I was going to just walk around the block over and over but I figured I may as well pick some place to walk to and from. I don't have any choice but to walk back once I get there. I haven't been doing any weight lifting at all.

I eat 1800 calories a day over 3 meals. I broke it down to 1/3 fat, protein, carbs. Little to no saturated fat and sugars. Dinner is pretty close to what I had been eating just a smaller portion with less carbs. I also have been eating it much earlier in the evening. I feel like I am eating more food a day now than I have in a very long time.

SO! what I would like to know if this is an acceptable diet. 1800 Calories a day. 3 meals a day, 1/3 prot, fat, carbs each. I figure this is nice, even and balanced. I can eat more or less no problem. Should I change the ratio of protein/carbs/fat? Should I eat 5 or 6 meals a day instead of just 3? From what I have read so far on this board I should probably just focus on losing weight and hit the weights later? Or should I start lifting right now? Is walking 3.2 miles a day ok or should I be trying for more? I can't run any distance worth anything.

I noticed a bunch of other fat dudes put up their pics so **** it. I took these last night.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fatd405/album?.dir=2456

fritz2435 is offline Member
    Start by splitting up your 3 meals into 6...

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah 6 smaller meals with keep the metabolism burning throughout the day. Hitting the weights is never a bad idea, but I think that cardio is a better solution for you. Try not to mix carbs and fats in any of your meals and that will help keep your body from storing any more fat.

6-7 smaller meals is the way to go.

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Try an ECA Stack and lots of AM cardio

Ranger5 is offline Junior Member
    Less typing, more walking.

ReX357 is offline "Toughest & Best Looking Guy Around Here"
    Cardio: You need to do 45 minutes to an hour of it at 75% of your max heart rate. (Which is usually around 130-135 BPM) You have to stay in that range to burn fat. It is the equivalent of a fast walk.

If you're really determined, you can even add another cardio session at night.

Start lifting weights too. The more you exercise, the more you burn calories. The bigger your muscles, the more you burn calories.

Separate your cardio and your lifting. Separate your meals in 6 meals. Eat these very small meals every 3 hours. Metabolism must always be working.

Also, to process fat, you need water. You MUST drink at least a gallon (4 liters) of water per day.

These simple tips will get you started but it is just the start. Take a look at the cutting sticky at the top of the page and build yourself a diet. Use the diets other people post in this forum to guide yourself. Post what you end up with and we'll critique and adjust it.

I will borrow SwoleCat's famous saying here:

"You're desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Best of luck to you. You can achieve anything you want if you REALLY want.
    Last edited by ReX357; 05-11-2005 at 11:34 PM.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatD405
    Whats up people. I would like to know if I am eating the proper amount of calories per day. I am a very FAT 5'8 285lbs.24 Years old.I am eating 1800 calories a day as per my doctors suggestion. Do I need to eat more, or less? I am trying to lose weight.(obviously lol)

I went to the doctor last week and weighed in at 285. The good part was I weighed about 315 six months earlier when I went in. The bad news is my blood pressure was so damn high he flipped out on me. He didn't even give me time to go to the pharmacy to pick up the meds he prescribed me. He gave me a couple bottles of free samples and made me take one in front of him. Last time I was in he mentioned my blood pressure was getting a little high and I should lose some weight but this time he completely flipped out. Said I was a walking heart attack or stroke just waiting to happen. He pretty much told me I was going to die of a heart attack, stroke, or my kidneys would fail completely. I went back today and my blood pressure is back to normal from the meds he prescribed. It certainly explained the nasty headaches I was starting to get often.

So I left the doctors office, hopped in my suburban, lit up a smoke and drove off. I smoked that cigarrette fast cause I was trippin out and started coughin up a lung. I thought to myself man your gonna die cause your a ****ing bitch ass punk!! I drove to the pharmacy and picked up my pills along with some nicotine patches that I have been wearing.

So it has been a week. I know, only a week. But that is why I am here cause I want to make sure I do this right.

As far as my eating habits go . . . I don't really eat alot of junk food. I went up to 315 I think mostly because there was a stretch where I was busy constantly and ended up just grabbing some fast food on my way home, eating and going to bed. However that is not and never has been the norm for me. Aside from when I was a fat little kid I've never been big on junk food, sweets, or pop. I do recognize I ate alot of carbs though. Up untill a week ago I have only ate on average one meal a day for several years. Usually late in the evening or at night before I went to bed. I know a lot of fat people go through life lookin for the next snickers but it honestly hasn't been me. I drink about half a gallon of tea a day (decaf. no sugar). I've never lifted weights before other than screwing around. I am a fairly active person in that I don't sit around all day and I like to stay busy.

So far I have walked every morning as soon as I wake up for the last week. It is about 3.2 miles. I was going to just walk around the block over and over but I figured I may as well pick some place to walk to and from. I don't have any choice but to walk back once I get there. I haven't been doing any weight lifting at all.

I eat 1800 calories a day over 3 meals. I broke it down to 1/3 fat, protein, carbs. Little to no saturated fat and sugars. Dinner is pretty close to what I had been eating just a smaller portion with less carbs. I also have been eating it much earlier in the evening. I feel like I am eating more food a day now than I have in a very long time.

SO! what I would like to know if this is an acceptable diet. 1800 Calories a day. 3 meals a day, 1/3 prot, fat, carbs each. I figure this is nice, even and balanced. I can eat more or less no problem. Should I change the ratio of protein/carbs/fat? Should I eat 5 or 6 meals a day instead of just 3? From what I have read so far on this board I should probably just focus on losing weight and hit the weights later? Or should I start lifting right now? Is walking 3.2 miles a day ok or should I be trying for more? I can't run any distance worth anything.

I noticed a bunch of other fat dudes put up their pics so **** it. I took these last night.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fatd405/album?.dir=2456
    If you are REALLY only taking in 1800 calories a day there is something very wrong with you metabolism. Simply walking is better than nothing, but you want to be burning calories and fat and that will not burn much. What will is pushing up your heart rate.

Five years ago I was in a similar position as you. What I did was dedicate a specific amount of time on the tread mill every night - 1 hr. Then I would do as much as I could in that time frame. So when I satrated I would walk at 3.5 minutes for 1 minute then run at 6.0 for 1 minute, then wal for 1 minute then run for 1 minute. The important thing is to make sure that you never end a session early and you are on for the entire 60 minutes. You really should be doing this EVERY night. Over time, I was able to run 2 minutes walk 1 run 2 walk 1, and then later I could run 3 walk 1 run 3 walk 1 until eventulally I could run continuously for the hour. After that I boosted it up from 6.0mph to 6.5 and could do it continuously, later 7 then 7.5 etc. Eventually, I could run continuously on the tread mill for 8.5 for the hour without a problem at all, and coincidently at the same time my weight had dropped.

At that point if you pick up weights you get a nicer look because a guy who used to be skinny that gets mucsles usually looks cut, but a fat guy who doesnt lose the weight first will still look fat, because you will not really see the muscles through the fat anyway.

The comments that the poster, Rex, made before me are basically on target. Frankly, if I were you I would started making changes 1 at a time and would be worrying more about you inactivity more than anything, which I suspect is having the worst affect on your health (both body fat levels and blood pressure (likely realyed)). My only concern with you eating 6 meals rather than 3 is that you will wind up eating 6 large meals. The system works well if done right but many people use it as an excuse to over eat in your prediciment, so they are worse off than when they started. It isn't easy to become 315 at 5'8", right? So concentrate on your cardio and see how it goes and whether you can do it and stick to it every day.

Thread Information