Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Another wierd idea(shake based diet)

I was surfing around looking for cheap protein and realise that if I buy protein in big ammounts from the absolutely cheapest place and realy on protein powder for like 70% of my daily protein intake I can minimize food cost while keeping a very high protein intake daily.

Is there anything realy wrong with this? To base the diet around whey protein? My diet would be something like 5-6 big protein shakes with flax, oliv or mct oil and 2-3 meals with meat and beans and lots and lots of veggies. That way I could keep protein intake above 350g/day and still survive on the little cash I have while studying.

I guess my diet(this would be a clean bulk diet) if I do this would be something like this(starting this fall when I am done cutting).

Meal 1:
    Oatmeal mixed with some dried fruits.
    A probiotic diary product
    Couple of eggs
    A big shake
    Lots of seeds

Meal 2:
    Big ass shake with flax/olive/mct oil combination and some seeds

meal 3: same as above

Meal 4, post workout:
    Protein+dextrose

Meal 5:
    Rice and any lean meat/fish/fowl, lots of veggies and a nice big shake

Meal 6: some beans,meat and veggies. Maby a handfull of mixed nuts.

Meal 7. Big ass shake with some cottage cheese(or anything else with cheap slow digesting protein, hell maby even soy protein concentrate) and oil combination.

I would split it upp so I get around 350-400g protein and each meal containing roughly as much protein. Around 150-200g carbs and 100g fats. Daily kcal around 3000-3300. This would be a clean bulk also very cheap. If I want to get the same amount of protein but based around meat instead I would have to buy cheap cuts with high fat content and that would make me alot fatter since the total kcal would be much higher.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    dood you have to have some of the oddest diet schemes i have ever heard of...
    Keep up the good work!

gooroo is offline Associate Member
    I feel sorry for your colon

lol taiboxa because of the cost of meat(2,2ibs of meat is a bit over 7 bucks here and the nicer cuts is alot more then that. Tuna is the cheapest but I cant stomach that disgusting shit)I have to try and find new ideas
    Soy was my first idea but I can not totaly replace meat with soy because of the high fat content. Only thing almost as cheap as soy is whey protein. So alot of whey, a little soy and a little meat would probably do the trick. Not to mention it would almost eliminate saturated fats from my diet(except the mct oil).

Quote Originally Posted by gooroo
    I feel sorry for your colon

I feel alot more sorry for the colon on those that realy on meat since that tax the entire digestion system alot more then shakes and veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    lol taiboxa because of the cost of meat(2,2ibs of meat is a bit over 7 bucks here and the nicer cuts is alot more then that. Tuna is the cheapest but I cant stomach that disgusting shit)I have to try and find new ideas
    Soy was my first idea but I can not totaly replace meat with soy because of the high fat content. Only thing almost as cheap as soy is whey protein. So alot of whey, a little soy and a little meat would probably do the trick. Not to mention it would almost eliminate saturated fats from my diet(except the mct oil).
    why dont you raise your own animals.. dogs are cheap .. and so are chickens (messy though)... your creative im sure you will think of something.!

Nah I would go through a dog everyday damn that would be alot of puppy killing. Chickens is not a bad idea but I would get tired keeping clean in my apartment when those bastards run around shitting everywhere

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    I have to use a diet similar to this... I find it works for me just fine

I have no idea how bad it is or what it is really doing on a macro level, but considering that your simple replacing solid foods with liquid foods I dont personally think its all that bad.. if not better considering the bad things that are known to be in solid foods.

I find that this type of diet for me works....

give it a try bro, what do you have to lose? not money, not muscle and if so Im sure your not going to lose much if at all

DO IT!

dally thats a good point. Only way to know if it is good or bad for me is to try it. I dont think the body knows the difference betwen getting aminoacids from meat or from whey(only difference beeing rate of digestion) it cant make such a huge difference. Only thing that bugs me is that whey is such a quickly digested protein.

Maby I should do a 40/60 mix of soy/whey protein powders in all shakes except the pwo one To make sure I have plenty of aminoacids circulating in my body all the time.

I think it would be healtier compered to eating lots of fatty meats(note, not more healthy then lean meat). Less saturated fats, less antibiotics(and all the other shit they pump into animals). Whey protein also protects against ulcers and since I have had problems with that lately that would be a relife.

But on the other hand Im sure there is some things in meat that isnt in whey so maby a more healthy diet but not more musclebuilding. Creatin for instance. Would I have to supplement with creating? Is there any vitamin I run a risk of getting to low levels of if I eat alot less meat?

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    So far

The main problems would be gastrointestinal distress...and maybe nutrient deficiency.

How long would your diet look like this?

well of course a super multi vitamin ... but creatinine is something found in red meat in high doses...

what about vegatarians... as mentally ill as they are to be vegatarians they survive... meakly yes but survive.

I think your diet is sound, and if anything I think you could add a meal replacement in there instead of a straight protein and fat meal

I'm gonna do it too, i wanna get ripped and I have a feeling my body is gonna like doin this...

I do it .. but not to this degree FULLY.

lets do it.

I gonna guinea pig it... I go to the gym and get my bf levels and other checks and try it for abit.

what kind of whey are you using? pure isolate whey or concerntrate?

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    So far

The main problems would be gastrointestinal distress...and maybe nutrient deficiency.

How long would your diet look like this?
    Well if it works this would be a year round kind of thing. I have alot more years of university ahead of me and my economy will be like this for atleast 3 more years.

BTW why would whey cause more gastrointestinal stress then meat? I am not lactose intolerant as far as I know(if I notice any problems I will lower whey and replace with soy).

Quote Originally Posted by Dally
    well of course a super multi vitamin ... but creatinine is something found in red meat in high doses...

what about vegatarians... as mentally ill as they are to be vegatarians they survive... meakly yes but survive.

I think your diet is sound, and if anything I think you could add a meal replacement in there instead of a straight protein and fat meal

I'm gonna do it too, i wanna get ripped and I have a feeling my body is gonna like doin this...

I do it .. but not to this degree FULLY.

lets do it.

I gonna guinea pig it... I go to the gym and get my bf levels and other checks and try it for abit.

what kind of whey are you using? pure isolate whey or concerntrate?
    Whey concentrate. Dante sells concentrate for as little as 3.39bucks/ib if buying large enough quantities(50ibs).

I supplement with lots of vitamins already and would continue to do so(and my diet will be high in fruits and veggies also). Maby creatin everyday would be a good idea to.

I dont know when I would do this, probably starting in july or so. Let me know when you get started. If you want the adress to dantes shop pm me(I dont think I an allowed to openly post it).

What kind of whey will you use?

I use all the whey 100% pure isolate.

for every 2 scoops I think 52 grams of powder it is almost equal in the the best protein money can buy....

concerntrate is not very good stuff, it not full chains and for the amount of 2 scoops of mine it would probably work out to 6 or 8 scoops of your stuff. So, the isolate is better per scoop and better for building then concerntrate hence the price difference you see.

Isolate would be the only way to go... more money INITIALLY but it turns out to be better for you and you get better protein if not more per pound....

check out allthewhey.com ... (thanks Swolecat) I buy 2 10 pound containers and go .. one chocolate and one bananna ... orange it pretty nice too.

isolate is still almost 3 times as expensive. Im gonna have to think hard and long. Maby a 50/50 mix of the 2 to increase quality a bit but keep cost down. Isolate is still 2,5-3 times as expensive as concentrate. I wouldnt be able to afford isolate now matter how much I saved upp.

I think the protein content of most isolate is like 95-99% while conentrate is 80% so even considering that isolate is twice as expensive if only taking into account price/gram.

did you check the site?

online its much cheaper ...

check it out man

bigdogc is offline Associate Member
    if you are worrying about money, make friends with someone at your local grocery store! i have 3 friends at albertsons, i get 20 dollar steaks for 1.50! anything i want is free, its pretty cool. beats protein shakes

psb
    psb is offline New Member
    Well I've been on an almost entirely liquid protein diet for over a year now. I'm a college student living off financial aid, so it is the cheapest way I can down protein per gram.

My carbs consist of either oats (.39/lb) or dextrose for PWO ($2/kilo). I get tubs of protein at my gym ($27/5 lb, iso/con mix). I get fats from olive oil ($13/2 liters).

I'll eat "real" food when I'm out to eat or someone at the apt cooks something, which is about once or twice a week. Multivit/min ED is a requirement, I also supp with green tea extract and vit C.

Oh and plus prep time is nil which is a bonus

ddoublevision is offline Associate Member
    I enjoy eating steaks, chicken, potatoes, crab meat, shrimp etc..

It would really suck to drink shake 365 days a year.

alphaman is offline Member
    I don't think it would be beneficial, but i think you're an absolute machine if you could keep that up year round!

i see one huge problem with this....

they digest and are metabolized too fast ...

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa

yah I hear ya.

but, im doing it and I think POSSIBLY with in mind and eating/drinking more often it may make it easier to release fat as the body is being constantly fed ...

I dunno, but, i'm tryin it, just out of pure convienence... and personally I dont find myself craving food too much anyway.. unless its fully riddled with salt or spice.... like olives, prosuitto, pickles.. or pho or curry or

well, whatever... im trying it, cause what Im doing right now isnt workin

psb
    psb is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa

Not sure how much of a problem it really is, I have gotten stronger, leaner, and gained more muscle in this past year then the two I trained before. I also changed to a much lower volume workout and did a couple cycles, so that may have been a factor too

a blend of different proteins could solve the quick upptake issue. Mixing down some soyprotein/eggprotein or casein would do the trick. Also consuming a half mouthfull of fibers I guess would slow down digestion a bit.

Angelis is offline Banned
    ITs not just the quick digestivness thats the problem... shakes dont have even close to as much Amino acid branches as red meat or Chicken/Turkey.

I had the same Idea as you not to long ago... might try it one day and just suppliment Amino Acids.

well whey protein if just looking at the aminoacid profile is far superior to meat as a proteinsource. Its complete and have everything that is needed in almost perfect ratios.

boondockSAINT is offline Associate Member
    Is maltodextrin a complex carb? If so, wouldn't you be able to take that with a few of your shakes to save money? Probably cheaper than real food as well. So what did you decide to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Angelis
    ITs not just the quick digestivness thats the problem... shakes dont have even close to as much Amino acid branches as red meat or Chicken/Turkey.

I had the same Idea as you not to long ago... might try it one day and just suppliment Amino Acids.

The profile content even of some of the cruddier proteins out there are much higher in L glutamine, tyrosine and supplemental creatinine... and usually twice as high as most meats including some good ol peameal bacon which has the highest protein content per gram of any meat out there

let alone the GOOD QUALITY protein, with additional supplementation like creatine and ginko biloba and guarana and vitamins ... and other time released additives

lemme see a pic of you bike that says this is angelis's bike....suc it Dally

bump for the duke

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    bump for the duke

ohh by the way, I've been on this diet alot more so now, and I must say, I feel better, I have lost some bodyfat (quite abit) since my avatar picture....

it's working sorta...

what brand of protein do you use?

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    allthewhey concentrate/isolate blend. It's very cheap and tastes amazing bro!

Solarosh is offline New Member
    Dally do you think you could describe a typical day of your diet?

gide0n is offline New Member

Bump

I am currently living in China. Having a horrid time trying to maintain a proper diet. Thinking about jumping on a something similar...how has it been working out for you Dally?

Thread Information