speedz is offline New Member

some diet advice please

hey everyone.
    im a cyclist and i need some help with my diet. im a pro and i know what your all thinking " shouldnt this guy have his diet sorted"? well yes i should have, but youd be suprised how many pros dont.....

thats why im here, asking you guys for advice. so, i have just had 6 weeks off due to an op and i need to drop some weight, mainly fat though. i have read the stickies and i am always reading the diet forum. this site rocks and is very informative. but for someone like me who rides anything from 3-7hrs a day i need some professional advice! in this sport the lighter and stronger you are the faster you go so......

i know that for say a 6hr day on the bike is going to require more food, than say a 2hr day or a total rest day. some advice on foods to eat, also when the best time to eat them would be muchly appreciated.

currently
    weight 83kg
    height 1m87
    % B.F 10

goal
    weight 77kg
    % B.F 6

i eat alot of tuna, eggs, red meat, chicken turkey, salad, nuts, muesli, fruit, protein powder. when i am training i eat carbs ever 45mins either by bars or waffles etc. plus i always run like ultra fuel in atleast 1 of my bottles. my doctor tells me to follow the blood type diet and im type o which means no gluten and more protein... what do you think about it?

for breakfast prior to any training ride i have a bowl of muesli, or oats with rice milk and some protein powder. then i eat and drink on my bike. what i want to know is cause i eat carbs throughout my training ride, do i still go with the PWO nutrition, followed an hour later with the complex carb/lean protein? or do i stick to a pro/fat first up and then continue with that for the rest of the day/night? im normally training by 10am.

also is there any supplementation out there that you would suggest? at the moment i take r-ala with my carb main meals, and green tea caps. i also take a multi-vit. with the r-ala i have read lots about it, but what about for trying ot lose weight/fat?

thanks to anyone in advance who can help.

fritz2435 is offline Member
    This is tough, as you need carbs for your sport. However, just remember that if calorie intake < calorie expenditure, you will lose weight. You may want to try taking a thermogenic, or ECA stack.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    read cutting sticky then improvise some additinal carbs and EFA's for energy to spare protein probably need to up your total macro intake and modify the ratios to a more active life style using hte harrison formula ;D

ok so seeing not many people are helping (maybe cause im thick, or cause of my sport?), ill post my diet, then maybe you can critique it. thanks in advance

8:30am meal #1
    large bowl of low fat muesli
    cup of rice milk
    protein powder

10pm training (say 5hr ride)
    2 water bottles 600ml, 1 ultra fuel
    1 bar per hour (2pro,25carb,1fat)

3:00pm PWO
    50grams protein/100grams dex

sleep 45mins

4:30pm meal # 3
    1 in of tuna
    cup of white rice
    soya sauce

7:00pm meal # 5
    green beans, leafy salad, broccolli, almonds + walnuts (small cup)
    lean protein 250grams (turkey,steak,chicken)

10pm meal # 6
    do i need a protein shake with flax? or some cottage cheese with flax here? or nothing?

daily supps are
    2xmulti vit
    1000mg vit
    2000mg pyllium husks
    1xrala+biotin with breaky

please can someone give me some advice? even more so just the timing of meals would be a help. you have to take into account that every days training is different. the longer rides are endurance rides (but still not easy). there are days when i do high intensity like intervals so i know to load up on carbs for that.....

thanks again.
    speedz

anyone? surely someone has some advice? thanks in advance

the bars seroiusly find something else i really doubt they are even partially beneficial...
    fruit would probably bea beter source of instant energy

not sure on ur PWO ... depends on how depleted you are at end if your just raped fell like you been SPRINTING then i would say yes but if its like you been jogging for ever then i would modify it.

more tuna in next meal mostlikely and how much rice?

Need eggwhites and flax before bed or casein protein ... you want long lasting protein prior to bed ... you also seem to be lacking in the EFA area.. revise your diet a lil more to incorp a few more EFA's maybe another 40--50g's worth because you only seem to get them in your salad and that is very minimal .. need atleast 4-5tbls of flax to aid in fatty acid transportation to spare muscle mass.

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    it's going to be hard to guage a diet if your training is different everyday, but use a 45pro/35carb/<20fat percentage ratio and check out the cutting sticky at the top of this forum. the meals containing your fat should be kept separate from the carb meals, so pro/fat meals should have close to 0carbs, your top protein sources should come from lean meats,whey,eggwhites, tuna, fish,(most fish and red meat contain some fat still so you can use this a pro/fat meal), carbs should come from, oats,yams,and brown rice (these are your best sources when dieting), fats should come from flax,fish oil,extra virgin olive oil,almonds,natural peanut butter. you'll have to calculate your daily caloric intake and make sure you're in a caloric deficit or you will not loose any BF. so use what i said and apply it to the cutting sticky at the specific times.

Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    the bars seroiusly find something else i really doubt they are even partially beneficial...
    fruit would probably bea beter source of instant energy

not sure on ur PWO ... depends on how depleted you are at end if your just raped fell like you been SPRINTING then i would say yes but if its like you been jogging for ever then i would modify it.

more tuna in next meal mostlikely and how much rice?

Need eggwhites and flax before bed or casein protein ... you want long lasting protein prior to bed ... you also seem to be lacking in the EFA area.. revise your diet a lil more to incorp a few more EFA's maybe another 40--50g's worth because you only seem to get them in your salad and that is very minimal .. need atleast 4-5tbls of flax to aid in fatty acid transportation to spare muscle mass.
    yes i forgot, in the cutting sticky it says use whey protein for the last meal, this is wrong, use eggwhites, or casein like tai said

thanks guys..... ill add more EFAs, and include a casein/flax or eggwhites/flax for my pre bedtime meal..... ill also look for something with more carbs to munch on whilst training.

also, so it depends on how wrecked i am at the end of training for my PWO right? so if i feel fresh and not tired then im best to stick with a pro/fat first up? and if im wrecked then go for the PWO shake?

thanks heaps....
    speedz

yes because dex is used to raise your blood sugar when your in a depleted state from HIGH intensity and muscles have been trained vigoresly to bring you back up to normal
    no need for a huge spike if your just below norm .. maybe even a 40/40 shake would suffice.. dont really know too much on this you will just have to play w/ it since its your body.

Cry0smate is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    yes i forgot, in the cutting sticky it says use whey protein for the last meal, this is wrong, use eggwhites, or casein like tai said
    That's far from wrong. You can use Whey as long as you add a fat source to make sure the digestion is slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cry0smate
    That's far from wrong. You can use Whey as long as you add a fat source to make sure the digestion is slow.
    hardly slow enough bro. research that topic and you'll find the answer

hardly slow enough bro. research that topic and you'll find the answer
    LOL mk...... I guess I should reasearch since I don't know wtf I'm talking about.....

That must also explain why so many people have used whey for their last meal and have experienced no ill cataobolism effects.

Please dont insult my intelligence. Granted I can see the point and a good benefit of using a slower releasing protein, but if the rest of your diet is in order, you shouldn't have to ever worry about LBM loss.
    Last edited by Cry0smate; 05-21-2005 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cry0smate
    LOL mk...... I guess I should reasearch since I don't know wtf I'm talking about.....

That must also explain why so many people have used whey for their last meal and have experienced no ill cataobolism effects.

Please dont insult my intelligence. Granted I can see the point and a good benefit of using a slower releasing protein, but if the rest of your diet is in order, you shouldn't have to ever worry about LBM loss.
    no you wont have to worry about losing LBM, however you will most likely go into a catabolic state if you use whey/fat combo(that is if you sleep longer than 3-4hours) but if you want to be serious about you progress and diet then casein or eggwhites w/fat is a far better choice.

you grow when you sleep so wouldnt the smartest approach to maximize your gains be to get a long digesting protein to have a constant release of amino acids throughout the night?

no you wont have to worry about losing LBM, however you will most likely go into a catabolic state if you use whey/fat combo(that is if you sleep longer than 3-4hours) but if you want to be serious about you progress and diet then casein or eggwhites w/fat is a far better choice.
    All that I am stating is that using Casein isn't the end all/be all solution. I can definitely see the benefits but utlizing whey as long as the rest of your diet is perfect shouldn't hinder you one bit. That's stricly my opinoin as I've experienced good results with that approach.

lol I"m going to step away b/c I have my tampon all twisted today or something and am almost picking a fight.

i never said that it was the only choice either, eggwhites are also a good chioce, lean meat also. Ive been using casien protein for that last 3 weeks and my weight has gone up about 2lbs and im just as ripped as i was before if not more ripped so it's not BF or water, i use it 3 times per day, one in the morning with whey and lean meat, 1.5hours before my workout, and before bed, my muscle also always feels much fuller than before, i really do think this stuff is a great supplement and i really think it could give you an edge in your training.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I personally use an isolate shake w/some sort of fat either flax or almonds before bed (as do most of my clients), and it's worked fine for me over the years. I've also used solid food, cottage cheese, and casein, and noticed no difference at all.

You all do with that what you wish.

~SC~

Thread Information