Indymuscleguy is offline Senior Member

MRP's vs. Protien Shakes

Hey everyone,

A new suppliment store opened in Indy recently and I went in to chat w/ the owner. He was very cool to chat with and seemed knowlegable. We were talking about suppliments and diet.

My delima is that I am not taking in enough calories. Now, I'm not wanting to gain much weight as I am happy with my size, body fat%, and training. I told him how I was getting my daily protien intake via shakes. (optimum nutrition whey)

He said that he'd prefer that I use Meal Replacement Products vs. all Whey shakes. One, I will be able to increase my caloric intake and two, the protien release is a slower one vs. whey which is a quck release.

(Finally) Here's my question:

What 's everyone's opinion about MRP's vs. Whey Protien intake

And...

What's everyone's vote on a MRP that they favor?

Thanks!

Indymuscleguy

[email protected]

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    MRP's are usually loaded with sugars and other things one doesn't need.

Whey protein is what I use, and I personally use it along with healthy fat sources like Omega oils, Flax oil, almonds, etc. This also SLOWS the digestion of whey, making it much more comparable to those expensive MRP's that you purchase ready made. I also don't like the carbs in the MRP's, nor have I ever found any of them that have the ratios of macronutrients that fit the profiles that I need for my body and goals.

I make my own that way I know WHAT I am ingesting, it's far cheaper, and I know that I have done so in the correct amounts for my goals.

~SC~

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~

Hey Swolecat,

Thanks for the info. It was interesting to me that he'd suggest that I switch or mix MRP's in. My focus it to maintain and continue to lean out.

Stats:

39 5'10" 178lbs 10.6% measured bf
    workout history 3 strict years
    cycle history...on my third.

My daily caloric intake is 2200-2500 calories per day with my focus on 200-250g's of protien. My main protien source is primarily whey protien shakes mixed with water, not milk. I usually mix ~50g's of protien and try to fit in 5-6 meals per day, at least 2 of those are the protien shakes, the rest, food. I recently added 1tablespoon or so of flax seed oil to one of my daily shakes, usually the first one of the day.

I have transformed from 18% body fat to 10.6% in 2 years, WITHOUT cardio. My goal is 8%, which at first seemd unrealistic, but now, just around the corner.

So, it sounds like I'm doing ok with the protien shakes. Thanks for your input.

Indymuscleguy

[email protected]

no offense but only 178 and your on your third cycle?! somethings not right..

Tiaboxa,

Hey buddy. What I failed to mention was the before stats. When I began lifting seriously over 2 years ago I weighted 150lbs soaking wet. I feel I have made a major transformation. Also, my cycle history has not been the best, but like most newbe's I'm learning.

I don't want to be huge, rather porportional. My first cycle was 100mg/cc of prop from an unknown source. It was a home brew and the product separated after 5 weeks. I stopped it of course. I waited 12 weeks before I started another cycle. It was Ethanate @150mg/cc twice per week for 8 weeks. Yes, it was a low dose and it was a short cycle compared to most. The important thing was I was very happy with the moderate results I got.

I took an 8 week break, had some labwork completed, and re-started a 'third cycle' (that's if you count the first two) I am doing 200mg/cc of Cyponate twice per week, plus 50mg of Proviron daily. I'm in week 3 and extremely happy. Again I have enough gear for 8 weeks.

I'd run longer cycles, but I buy what I can get. What I get is home brew, so I just don't want to risk long term cycles...not yet. Also, because of my profession, I don't want to set off any alarms that I'm growing too big too fast. People are already commenting.

So, all in all, I'm not huge, but porportional. Could my cycles be better? Sure, with a better connection to 'actual products' vs. 'home brew'

Make sense?

Indymuscleguy

[email protected]

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    MRP's are usually loaded with sugars and other things one doesn't need.

Whey protein is what I use, and I personally use it along with healthy fat sources like Omega oils, Flax oil, almonds, etc. This also SLOWS the digestion of whey, making it much more comparable to those expensive MRP's that you purchase ready made. I also don't like the carbs in the MRP's, nor have I ever found any of them that have the ratios of macronutrients that fit the profiles that I need for my body and goals.

I make my own that way I know WHAT I am ingesting, it's far cheaper, and I know that I have done so in the correct amounts for my goals.

~SC~
    not true, there are some very good mrp's. Most people buy the ones that advertised which are the bad ones. Look into champion products those are the best mrp's (tested). I use them when I have to which is rarely, but they do come in handle. Champion mrp's have virtually no sugar and have plenty of protein and low gi carbs.

-SHRED

Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    not true
    What is "not true"? I presented/talked about 3-4 different ideas/concepts.

Before you label an entire post "not true", identify what you are saying isn't true.

Two of my examples: (1) MRP's are not in the right ratios for most. That is NOT FALSE. You can't tell me that an MRP fits EVERYONE'S MEAL REQUIREMENTS. (2) They are expensive and you can make your own cheaper. Again, that is not false, as ready-made preparations are more expensive than making a similar "at home" preparation yourself.

So, the "not true" is

~SC~

Suareezay2 is offline New Member
    IMO theres only 2 types of shakes you need to worry about
    1. Whey
    2. Blends (whey/egg/casein/soy)

Whey is for post workout. Quick digesting, high quality protein.
    The blend is what i make MRPs out of. Since its a blend, i get proteins that digest at different rates: fast, medium, and slow. Even though the whey is slowed down by other ingredients i add (oatmeal, peanut butter, flax, or whatever the time of day may call for) i still get proteins digesting at different rates. And not to mention the added benefit of variety.

Like SC said, most MRPs are made to replace a full meal (protein, fat and carbs) and contain maltodextrin (sugar) for the carbs. I would even be suspect of the so called "low GI carb" claims as they are most likely processed and refined.

casein and whey
    and proper dosing of dex, oats, or flax

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    a solid MRP like champion's are good if you need something quick and don't have time to for sc's "at home" preparation, so yes that is true.

~SC~

yannick32 is offline Associate Member
    Price of MRP here in Canada is insane your better off buying the huge ON whey protein pouch 10 pounds it last long and its fill with Glutamine 3g per serving BCAA and all essential amino acids, that is amazing too.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I too dislike MRP's... I mix my whey with flax or even natty pb when I run out of flax and can't get to the store in time. Also when carbs are ok in your diet I mix my whey with a cup or two of oats in a blender with water viola... a better MRP than most store bought ones and yes, cheaper to.

Thread Information