Slugger is offline Junior Member

Food with protein shake?

Is it necessary to have food with my protein shake? Could I just drink the shake after working out or would it be better to have a meal with it? I heard it's important to have some carbs with your shake. Would a small bowl of macaroni and cheese due or would that be too much?

What do you guys think?

mass junkie is offline banned
    I think the protein shake within 30 minutes after your workout is good enough...........it absorbs alot faster than the food anyways

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger
    Is it necessary to have food with my protein shake? Could I just drink the shake after working out or would it be better to have a meal with it? I heard it's important to have some carbs with your shake. Would a small bowl of macaroni and cheese due or would that be too much?

What do you guys think?
    Anything beyond drinking a good, complete protein supplement is just an excessive amount of calories and carbs..You could add in a piece of fruit if you don't get "filled" up from the shake, but I wouldn't sit down and pound a bowl of mac and cheese unless you are trying to fatten up..

A good rule of thumb is to consume the protein/carb supplement within a 1 hour window for maximum absorption and to replace depleted glycogen stores..I try to consume 40-50 grams of high quality protein after a workout..Too much beyond that amount and you are going to excrete it in your urine..

Doc M

talon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    I think the protein shake within 30 minutes after your workout is good enough...........it absorbs alot faster than the food anyways
    Well I would say it also depends on your diet bro. Like how much protein/carbs are you getting post workout also. I would say 3 solid meals a day with 3 shakes intertwined. I would say a shake before workout, then solid food after. Then keep the last shake to drink before sleeping....just my .02

Doc M is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I'm going to add a little to what talon just posted..A lot of it does depend on your dietary goals and what you are trying to accomplish..Your diet and nutrition is the key component that is often overlooked..Many times an individual will find out what works best for them through trial and error and building off proven methods..

Take me for example: I always have a Zone bar and a piece of fruit about 30 minutes prior to my weight training followed by a Coke..Now, is that the standard recommendations for athletes..No..But through years of trial and error, that is what works the best for me..I don't have too many problems keeping lean and I am not a professional bodybuilder so I am not as strict as someone who is trying to shed unwanted bodyfat..I ALWAYS follow up a weight session with a protein/carb supplement and then have a solid meal about 3 hours later..

Talon also brought up a good point in trying to consume 5-6 well balanced, high protein meals per day..I usually have three actual meals and three protein supplement shakes..And when I am trying to add a little extra lean muscle I will usually throw in an extra low protein (20 grams protein, low carb) drink in the middle of the night when I get up to take a trip to the toilet..Again, is this right for everyone..NO..There are a lot of variables that have to be considered: age, weight, bodyfat percentage, goals...

You are going to see and hear tons of recommendations and theories on what is the appropriate way to accomplish your goals..Over time with experimentation you will find what is the best method for you..I would strongly suggest you seek out some professional advice..Swole is a good start..The proof is in the pudding and his pudding is top notch..

Doc M

Now Swole..You can send me my check next week
    Last edited by Doc M; 09-17-2003 at 10:51 PM.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    I always follow my workout with a protein/simple carb mix of 40/80..bulking and 40/40.. when cutting. I then make sure to watch the clock and exactly an hour after my workout section I will have my solid meal.. usually 40/60 protein/carb ratio.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    And as far as food with the protein shake as a meal? Sometimes I will use the protein as my supp and eat some complex carbs with it. sometimes ill half it.. 1/2 protein shake and 1/2 solid protein. Depends on your goals and what time of the day sometimes. O and listen to Doc... hes a liscened professional

gonnabehuge240 is offline New Member
    The human digestive system can only digest and make ready for assimilation of approximately 25 to 30 grams of protien per meal. So I wouldn't have a meal with my protien unless you plan on wasting some of your well spent money. I would just wait a while and that way you could be digesting 60 grams of protien unsted of 30.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Ive never been told to include a meal with my shake
    But Im not that particular on mixing and matching CARBS with Protien. I am more concerned with calories. It usually evens itself out. Im not that die hard where I need to have the exact amount of each.
    After a work out it is good to have starches such as pasta though. No one hear ever mentions starches. potatoes, etc.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I'm with big 'ol legs on this. PWO you want a protein shake with simple carbs like dextrose or honey mixed in, and than an hour later have your pwo meal. My pwo shakes consist of 40/80 of protein and carbs and my meals are 50/60 or 50/70 protein and carbs.

Thread Information