N00b is offline Banned

Some questions on fat

1. Ok if Natural PB is a good fat source and we shouldn't eat meals that have fat AND carbs in it, then how could we eat PB? Doesnt PB have a good amount of both?

2. If the body starts using fats for energy (when lowering carbs), what makes that so much better then using carbs for energy (im not talking about stored fat on empty stomach cardio)?

3. And how can I be sure I'm getting enough fats when I lower my carbs? Lats thing I want to do is have my body use protien and muscle for energy (I am eating about 50g of fat per day and 170carbs on lifting days and about 70 on non-lifting... yes I am cutting)

4. Is eating whole eggs or tuna/mayo (or any high fat/low carb meal, and I do mean any) ok as a fat source meal?

thanks

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    1. Im guessing first that you dont eat so much peanuttbutter that the ammount of carbs has a impact and second the carbs are so low gi that they have almost no impact on blood sugar or insulin levels.

3. Any fat source can be ok. BUT if you get most of your fats as EFA's and MCT you will be healtier and burn more fat. Hydrogenated fats is one of the major contributors to the healt problems in the world today. It lowers immune system, is the one major factor in most heart diseases, it disrupts propper cell function, lowers metabolism, decreases insulin sensitivity and even lowers proper brain function.

BigBoi83 is offline Associate Member
    toatly off subject but i havent been on in a while an ur looking awsome johan. looks to me like ur making bigs steps foward keep it up.

Thanks alot bro

N00b is offline Banned
    I get one serving a day of Flax (1.5 tblspoons) with my last meal, a shake.

longhornDr is offline Member
    1. Natural PB has a neglible amount of carbs (2-3g/serving)

2. Eating carbs shuts down lipolysis completely. Fats are metabolically invisible, so a combination of a calorie deficit and low carb diet allow for increased duration of lipolysis. There is nothing inherently better about fats for energy, they are just a means of providing adequate caloric intake when carbs have been cut out. It would be impractical to get 100% of your calories from protein.

3. You calculate your daily calorie goal and subtract the calories you get from your protein intake, this will give you how many calories you need from fat. 50g of fat seems low. In these low carb/high protein diets, protein is used as fuel, there is no way to get around that, and it is actually the reason the high protein diets are effective, protein is an inefficient fuel source.

4. Any fat source is fine. Being restricted to fat/protein with low carbs will automatically eliminate most of the "bad" foods.

The advice to get most of your fats from EFAs is horrible. Too much EFA is just as bad as too little...1-2 servings daily is more than enough.

N00b is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by longhornDr
    1. Natural PB has a neglible amount of carbs (2-3g/serving)

2. Eating carbs shuts down lipolysis completely. Fats are metabolically invisible, so a combination of a calorie deficit and low carb diet allow for increased duration of lipolysis. There is nothing inherently better about fats for energy, they are just a means of providing adequate caloric intake when carbs have been cut out. It would be impractical to get 100% of your calories from protein.

3. You calculate your daily calorie goal and subtract the calories you get from your protein intake, this will give you how many calories you need from fat. 50g of fat seems low. In these low carb/high protein diets, protein is used as fuel, there is no way to get around that, and it is actually the reason the high protein diets are effective, protein is an inefficient fuel source.

4. Any fat source is fine. Being restricted to fat/protein with low carbs will automatically eliminate most of the "bad" foods.

The advice to get most of your fats from EFAs is horrible. Too much EFA is just as bad as too little...1-2 servings daily is more than enough.
    Pretty much summed up everything I was looking for. That was awesome, thanks!

I am 6'1" 185 16%bf, and right now I get:

2300 cal / 150 carb / 290 pro / 60 fat - lifting days
    1700 cal / 70 carb / 240 pro / 40 fat - non lifting days

So in your opinion, I should bump my fat up to what.... 80 maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by longhornDr
    In what way is it horrible I get like 90% of my fat from flaxoil, soybeans, a little oliveoil and on some days nuts.

When looking at the fat profiles on flax, oliv and soy I would say I get 40+% of my fat from polyunsaturated fats(caround 60% of that as omega 3), 30-35% from monounsaturated fats and the rest saturated. Can this acctualy be harmfull?

longhornDr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    In what way is it horrible I get like 90% of my fat from flaxoil, soybeans, a little oliveoil and on some days nuts.

When looking at the fat profiles on flax, oliv and soy I would say I get 40+% of my fat from polyunsaturated fats(caround 60% of that as omega 3), 30-35% from monounsaturated fats and the rest saturated. Can this acctualy be harmfull?
    "More is better" does not apply to EFAs....just as there are negative effects from inadequate intake there are also harmful effects from excesssive intake of EFAs. The latest research shows that the response curve to EFAs is J-shaped, not linear.

What would be the optimal ammount to eat? Does it also mean I should limit "good" fats not just the essential ones? Olive oil for instance hardly contains any EFA's(depending on if you count omega 9 as efa or not). Should I limit olive oil to?

Damn I thought Im eating healthy as hell and now I find out Im overdoing it

N00b is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    What would be the optimal ammount to eat? Does it also mean I should limit "good" fats not just the essential ones? Olive oil for instance hardly contains any EFA's(depending on if you count omega 9 as efa or not). Should I limit olive oil to?

Damn I thought Im eating healthy as hell and now I find out Im overdoing it
    If I were you I wouldn't worry. Both of you guys (according to your pics) look just fine. It looks like what you both are doing works fine for each of you, so if it aint broke, dont break it

Austex is offline Member
    EFA's should NOT be your primary source of fats. They are beneficial, but they are not the "only" source to rely on. Fish oils, flax, and even (slight amounts of) saturated fats should be consumed for optimum lean-muscle mass.

I was a little careless when I was EFA. What I realy meant was to base fat intake on mono and poly unsaturated fats. But the comon sources we use for poly unsaturated fats(flaxoil) contains roughly 50% alpha linolenic acid with is a omega 3 and a EFA.

I still belive that having most of the fat intake as mono and polu unsaturated fats is healtier then saturated fats since saturated fats mostly is healt neutral. Meaning they neither have positiv or negative effects they are just energy. The exception beeing MCT oil's that are very benificial and saturated.

The danger is when someone consumes alot more omega 6 then omega 3. So a balance has to be keept betwen these to.

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you can get too much EFA's in one day.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    yup u can...

Thread Information