arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member

Cooking protien powder -- Tobey

Does cooking protien powder (like making protien cookies) effect the potentcy of the protien? In other words, does the heat break it down?

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Tobey is probably better to answer this but I would,nt have thought so but I have a feeling it will depend on what type of protein powder you use

xenithon is offline Member
    hi there, i am not an expert and would also definitely love to see Tobey's input, but from my a scientific viewpoint proteins denature (bonds break down) at high temperature and low pH (high acidity). I have heard that cooking does break most of them down, and those which don't break down are specifically made or protected in some way from denaturing eg. that protein pancake mixture.

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    Yep after looking into this further, you would need poweder protein which has been intended to be cooked. Metrx Pan Cake mix for instance. so X is spot on.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Cooking with Protein Powders

Ok Arthurb999,
    Since we last talked last, I begin pouring through old reciepes and this is what I found. Like I said, I have used protien powders in the past on many different reciepes. Many bakers use gluten in their bread dough. (It's wheat protien) Mostly bakers use yeast in their bread dough because it makes the bread rise more easily and higher. Soy and whey protien powders were used and their chemical composition did not change. They do not use these anymore due to the fact that they make the bread very hard and tough.
    There have been many muffin reciepes that I have used in the past. I have noticed that soy protien makes the the muffins moist, but so heavy that they will not stay together unlike whey protein which has the opposit effect. Whey makes them very dry and brittle. The end result is try mixing both. I have to go, I'm running late right now. I have a muffin reciepe that incorporates both of these and I will post it tommorrow.(It is Sat. night now)
    Tobey
    Last edited by Tobey; 10-06-2001 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks bro... I'm looking forward to protien muffins and protien cookies. A little varitey in my diet will be nice.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Corn Muffins

Allright Guy's, Take a look over at the reciepe section. There will be a reciepe called Corn Muffins that you might want to take a Look at.
    IC

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    Glad you got the answer Arther.

Thanks guys. Now I gotta get my grandmother some whey to add to her baking.

Thread Information