Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

3 flax oil questions

I know flaxoil is the oil richest in linolenic acid that we know of. But how much of the linolenic acid can the body convert into EPA and DHA?? Reason Im askin is because its already converted in fishoil. How much flax does one need to consume for it to equal fishoil in terms of giving the body EPA and DHA? Or does the consumption of flax oil just make sure the body converts as much as it needs and no less making fishoil possible overkill when it comes to those 2 substances?
    Can anyone verify this
    Flax oils vs. fish oil
    In his book, Dr. Rudin (see below) points out that most Omega-3 studies are based on fish oil. Rudin finds this disappointing, as he's had better results with flaxseed oil in his own studies. This may be because flaxseed oil starts with the plant form of linolenic acid, ALA (alpha linolenic acid), whereas fish oil contains the animal form, DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). The body makes its own DHA and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) from ALA. Although some claim that the amount of DHA made is small, the body doesn't need much DHA. Most DHA is contained in cell membranes, and is held there with little replacement. In contrast, ALA and compounds made from it are also needed in the body for a number of essential functions. Fish oil cannot provide ALA, and therefore deprives the consumer of this critical compound. Some people feel that they need DHA or EPA as a supplement, and that's their personal choice. However, most sources covering the different types of oil indicate that plant-based Omega-3s, or ALA, is the better choice.
    From http://goodfats.pamrotella.com/

Also everywhere I read it states that flaxoil should always be refrigerated. In the stores they never refrigerate it so even if I put it in the refridgerator when I get home it can have been in room temperature for days/weeks already. Does this mean most of the linolenic acid has been destroyed?

Also a third question. I guess oil gets ruined by oxidization(sp?). Since ascorbic acid is known to prevent that would it be a good idea to mix down a couple of grams of ascorbic acid into the flaxoil? I usualy buy big bottles of flax and then mix it with extra virgine olive oil 50/50 mix so the bottles last very long most of the time.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Dude...........u amaze me............ur intrest in natural foods , vitmains and shit pretty amazing

try this found it in the "similar thread section"

Omega-3 Article!!

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I love reading about stuff like this. It boggles me that more people doesnt take a big interest in what they eat and how it effects us mentaly and physicaly. My fascination for this kind of stuff has almost become so big that I have been contemplating changing my education(from physics to something more geared towards orthomolecular medicine)but thats taking it a bit to far lol.

That looks like a good article Im gonna read it for sure. Thanks bro.

Thread Information