D00fy is offline Anabolic Member

Post WorkOut Meal

would 2bananas and protein shake be a good postworkout meal??

or grape juice or gatorade plus protein shake??????

wonderful world of oz,where juice is free,plentiful,sterile, and not toxic to the liver
    one bannana and protein shake,then resume regular meal pattern one hour later,

okay but this is good for mass? how much protein in the shake 22 or 44?

jbrand is offline Member
    your carbohydrate source is lacking. this is the optimal time to sweeten your ass up; insulin sensitivity is high and glycogen needs to be replenished. ingest 1 gram dextrose powder per pound of bodyweight mixed with 1L water per 100 grams of dextrose. kool-aid mix is good to use for this purpose. as far as protein, whey is the preferrable way to go as it has the highest biological value. try and consume around 30-50g of protein.

kill aid so 1scoop of kool aid is good or i need more,i aint good with grams

my weight now is 160ish.....

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by D00fy
    kill aid so 1scoop of kool aid is good or i need more,i aint good with grams

my weight now is 160ish.....
    doofy, for the love of god buy the kool-aid and read the box

okay hahah

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Anything with sugar is good post workout. I eat 5 Snackwell's Fat Free Devils Food Cookies. They are 12g of carbs, like 7 sugar per one...but those other 5 carbs are simple carbs anyways, so that makes about 60postworkout carbs. I'd eat the whole damn box if I was trying to put on size, but I'm not.
    1g of dextrose per lb of bodyweight is a little overkill. I'd say 50-75 carbs if under 200lbs..trying to put on size. If over 200 lbs...maybe 100 or a little more...TOPS. Replenish your glycogen, don't make yourself fat.

devilscabanaboy19 is offline Associate Member
    what foods are high in dextrose anyway? I see sucrose, fructose and glucose-sucrose but no damned dextrose. I have some potassium I bought from GNC that has dextrose in it, should I take that post workout then?

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by devilscabanaboy19
    what foods are high in dextrose anyway? I see sucrose, fructose and glucose-sucrose but no damned dextrose. I have some potassium I bought from GNC that has dextrose in it, should I take that post workout then?
    you can usually get pure dextrose from a local beer brewing supply store.

wonderful world of oz,where juice is free,plentiful,sterile, and not toxic to the liver
    in my opinion dont go with that many grams of sugar; it doesn't take that many grams of sugar to replenish your glycogen levels,you'll get fat,take in a bannana,and around 50 grams of whey protein,not whey protein b/c it has highest biological value but b/c the insulin spike you'll get from the bannana will transport the whey to the muscle right away b/c whey protein can be utilized very quickly bye the body,this is very good for bulking/b/c you are getting a meal about two hours after your last meal,and then one hour later you are consuming a full meal.
    Last edited by str82hellnback; 04-18-2002 at 12:43 PM.

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by st82hellnbak
    dude dont it doesn't take that many damn grams of sugar to replenish your glycogen levels,you'll get fat,take in a bannana,and around 30 grams of whey protein,not whey protein b/c it has highest biological value but b/c the insulin spike you'll get will transport the whey to the muscle right away b/c whey protein can be utilized very quickly bye the body,this is very good for bulking/b/c you are getting a meal about two hours after your last meal,and then one hour later you are consuming a full meal.
    is this english?

how do you know how many grams of sugar your body can utilize post-workout? i attended a charles poliquin seminar where he utilized empirical evidence to support his claims that maximum recovery/protein synthesis would occur by nourishing the body with 2g/kg bodyweight.

A fucking banana? You have got to be kidding me. I actually feel kind of freaked out, I am having bad flashbacks of the Mark Wahlberg flick as I see mankind doing a backflip in terms of mental evolution. when glycogen is depleted, incoming carbs tend to be used for glycogen resynthesis first. so it's possible that consuming carbs post-workout wouldn't affect the use of fat for fuel--if the body is storing the carbs as glycogen, fat gets used to produce ATP. why whey post-workout? well, whey is preferentially oxidized by the liver because of it's fast rate
    of entry. it will be utilized by the body quick to maintain homeostasis, it has EVERYTHING to do with biological varience/value. anything else you want to enlighten me with?

Here we go. . .

banana or no banana

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by jbrand
    you can usually get pure dextrose from a local beer brewing supply store.
    Exactly!! Get a shaker. Before you go to the gym put 1 scoop of dextrose and one scoop of whey protein in the shaker. When you're finished training, go to the fountain, add water, shake it up and drink it. DONE!! Then have a solid food meal about an hour later. Simple!

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    add 2 scoops.. never have to much protien, I usually like a blend of Whey's and eggs.. but that just me. I been using product from interactive nutrition off season called lean gainer, 100g of malodrexrin (same GI as Dextrose) and 50 g of whey blend and pretty cheap. Only 5g fat and very little or no sugar... works great for me.

jbrand why dont you be a little more direct and smart ass towards me please. lets not be fuck heads about another's stupidity,all i gave was my opinion. not a scientific formula. so you keep going to charles penguins seminar's and ill read the info that you came up with,k?

kool-aid has fructose in it ,will it still be good post workout??

how about protein shake and some fat free yogurt with oatmeal postworkout? or thats more of a meal?

Farmer is offline Member
    my post workout shake is
    1 banana
    1 44 gram scoop of dextrose
    1 44 gram scoop of maltodextrin
    2 1/2 scoops of protein = like 60 grams or so
    its an awesome shake

peace

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by D00fy
    how about protein shake and some fat free yogurt with oatmeal postworkout? or thats more of a meal?
    D00fy...no flame bro, but a post workout "meal" usually refers to replenishment IMMEDIATELY after training (within 10-15 minutes). So unless you carry a cooler and microwave with you wherever you go, yogurt and oatmeal are not practical Seriously brother....do not over-complicate things. Find a cocktail (protein and a simple carb sources such as dextrose or malydextrin) that you're happy with and slam it after every workout. Then about an hour later have a nice SOLID food meal (shakes are for convience and should never substitute a soild for meal unless necessary).

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    It might not be all that apetizing but I mix Isopure strawberries and cream with glutamine & gatorade/koolaid- Pretty damn nasty with the warm shit I keep in the car outside the gym but it does the trick

sweet

Originally posted by Pete235

So unless you carry a cooler and microwave with you wherever you go, yogurt and oatmeal are not practical

Pete, I've missed ya man.

Want to know what my post workout meal is?

As soon as I am done lifting, assuming I am doing no cardio post workout...I go out to my car, Take 10g of glutamine, 1 gram ALA and have 4 or 5 SnackWells Fat Free (although sugar loaded ) Devils Food cookies. Today was my carb up day, so I had I think 8.

Then when I'm stopped at a light on my way home, no way in hell with my luck I'll make it home without a Red. I'll pop a handful of Amino Pills. Then I get home, (this is all in the course of 10-15 minutes tops)...have a 50g whey shake. Take a shower, come sit on my chair, and see what's on the boards...right as I'm starting to feel dizzy and tired from the ALA + Sugars. Gotta love it.

Hope that helps Doof.

A_Nice is offline Associate Member
    hmm, how much protein are you supposed to be able to synthesize in one sitting again?

kizer_soce is offline Retired Moderator
    Okay bottom line go to proteinfactory.com or where ever you want to get the stuff from. Get a mix of 1/3 maltodextrin, 1/3 dextrose and 1/3 hydrolyzed whey OR casein, yes hydrolyzed casein. It (hydrolyzed casein) is actually the BEST protein available for post workout. You can also toss in some glutamine peptides to make the formula a little easier and it wouldn't hurt to have it post workout as well.

The ratio of carbs to protein is 2 to 1 which this formula will give you no matter what your serving size is. BUT serving size is around .4 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight. So to make this easy a 220lb bber (100kg) would take in 40 grams of protein and 80g carbs post workout. So that is a total serving of 120g. 60cc scoops (provided with most protein products) roughly equate to 25grams. So you would put 5 scoops in and mix with water after training then eat a whole meal 1-2 hrs later.

superbeast is offline Member
    Shove that banana up your a$$! It will do as much for you there as eating it. Fruit is not a good postworkout meal. Kizer is right on the money. Probably the best postworkout shake you could have.

Iwan2bsolid2 is offline Senior Member
    kizer- how come hydrolyzed casein? I've always heard that whey was best? Also, how does the stuff taste from the protein factory? Thanks.

SOLID

kizer_soce is offline Retired Moderator
    Hydrolyzed casein has the lowest molecular weight of any protein in existence today which results in a faster delivery. here is the link to PF.com's site.

http://www.proteinfactory.com/in_hydrocase.htm#

As far as taste, well it takes some getting used to. I like to make a fruit punch flavor and mix with water, it is okay but nothing spectacular. Again when it comes to this point in my diet though I "eat for function not flavor" IMO it won't kill you to down something that is not so great only once a day or 2 out of 3 days, whatever your workout split is. The taste thing does only apply to some of the powders, they will tell you on the site or on the phone how good or bad your formula will taste. I have a customized shake now that tastes pretty good even being vanilla which I don't typically like. It is 4%glutamine peptides 6%flax 40% ion exchanged whey isolate and 50% egg white.
    Originally posted by Iwan2bsolid2
    kizer- how come hydrolyzed casein? I've always heard that whey was best? Also, how does the stuff taste from the protein factory? Thanks.

SOLID

Hydrolized is the quickest absorbed protein. It does taste like crap. Basically it is partially digested.

Project X is offline New Member
    want a really good post work out drink and taste good and kicks ass.

1.5 scoop isopure strawlberry
    1- 1.5 scoop ffruit punch Glyco load from optimum nutrition 50% malotdextrin, and 50% dextrose mix
    5 grams creatine
    5 grams glutemine
    600 ALA

slam wait about an hour and a nice solid meal

peace out

Originally posted by Project X
    want a really good post work out drink and taste good and kicks ass.

1.5 scoop isopure strawlberry
    1- 1.5 scoop ffruit punch Glyco load from optimum nutrition 50% malotdextrin, and 50% dextrose mix
    5 grams creatine
    5 grams glutemine
    600 ALA

slam wait about an hour and a nice solid meal

peace out
    Project, how many carbs are in 1 -1.5 scoops of the Glyco?

This does sound like it would be decent.

Parker is offline New Member
    Doofy- order a jug of pure dextrose from www.supplementdirect.com. They sell 11lb. jugs for just $10. It's the cheapest I've seen and the most "pure" as it has an 80grm. serving size with 75grm. dextrose carbs. Then order their 11lb. jug of pure whey for just $42. Again, it's the cheapest I've seen.

Here's what I do:
    Immediately after training- 1 serving dextrose(75 carb) + 2 servings whey protein(46 pro., 3 carb, 3 fat). Total=78 carb,46 pro, and 3 fat= 523 calories

About 1 1/2 later I eat:
    2 cups skim milk(24 carb 16 pro)
    3 servings(170 grm.) whole wheat pasta(102 carb, 27 pro, 3 fat)
    1 tablespoon flaxseed oil(14 fat)
    2 servings(224 grms.) 96% lean ground beef(50 pro, 9 fat)
    1 serving(126 grm.) pasta sauce(9 carb, 2 pro)

Grand total=26 fat, 95 pro, 135 carb= 1150 calories

Thread Information