eyernvxxn is offline Female Member

When to take glutamine?

I'm taking it mostly to prevent catabolism right now, so here's my dillema: the directions for this stuff are to take 1 serving (4.5 grams) before & after exercise. I'm not sure if I should take it before and after the AM cardio, or the weight training. So what I thought of doing was taking 5 two gram doses: once in the morning before cardio, once after cardio, once before weight lifting, once after weight lifting, and once before bed. But is taking it in 2 gram doses enough to be effective?

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    You do cardio and weights on the same day? Interesting! I would rather split them up by days. I would just take 5 grams before and after your weight training.

Duke of Earl is offline Senior Member
    I go 5g before AM cardio & 5g after - with weights I go 5g before, but have my PWO shake after (ie no extra glutamine) - something to do with the glutamine competing with the other amino acids for absorbtion ( I'm sure I had a reason, just cant remember it!!)

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    b4 am cardio , b4 lifting , Edit: b4 bed
    5g doses

just a post from a simialr thread
    pure glutamine has very poor bioavailability because most of it is used up by gut flora. You need either peptides or acetylated/methylated/etc to get any real effect.

with IV pure glutamine is OK, which is why the studies often used it. The supp companies were disengenuous to use them to sell oral glutamine.

edit: wow u wanna use alot of glutamine

just try the 5gs 3 times a day and see what happens some get good results some dont see ne difference trial &error.....
    Last edited by IronFreakX; 06-16-2005 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixGuy
    You do cardio and weights on the same day?
    Yessir. I'm also trying to get better at running....which I hate. The weights aren't marathon sessions, I usually hit one area a day. I take the weekends off completely, except for work (which requires some physical activity). Seems to work pretty well *shrug.* Right now I just want to preseve as much strength as I can why I try out this Keto diet thing for a couple weeks...

Thanks guys, I'll figure I'll try it before and after weights at first, then change if it's not workin

And if I rememeber right creatine and glutamine combat for absoption
    Last edited by eyernvxxn; 06-16-2005 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eyernvxxn
    Yessir. I'm also trying to get better at running....which I hate. The weights aren't marathon sessions, I usually hit one area a day. I take the weekends off completely, except for work (which requires some physical activity). Seems to work pretty well *shrug.* Right now I just want to preseve as much strength as I can why I try out this Keto diet thing for a couple weeks...

Thanks guys, I'll figure I'll try it before and after weights at first, then change if it's not workin

And if I rememeber right creatine and glutamine combat for absoption
    -hold on
    ur gonna try a keto -diet , wanna cut , wanna preserve strength , using creatine while cutting? ur work requires physical activity and u wanna do a keto...... i dont think ur gonna preserve muscle @ all infact i think ur gonna lose alot of muscle some fat more water then when u go back wether(stop dieting) its the army(rite?) ur gonna gain it all back , but end up with a worse fat:muscle ratio

i really have nothing to do this morning

so if u post ur diet , training , age , weight , work ,etc........

ill come up with a nice plan

Quote Originally Posted by IronFreakX
    -creatine while cutting?
    No I'm not, I just said that b/c someone mentioned a substance competing w/ glutamine for receptors, and it's Cre.

I tried the Atkins thing a while ago and it actually worked very well for me, actually better than the "conventional" diet (it was waaay faster). The fat loss was quite good and I didn't lose a lot of muscle, my strength went down in workouts but as I added carbs back in it went back up pretty fast. I guess it's different for everyone. Anyway, this diet is only for a couple weeks, I'm only trying to lose like 5 pounds. After that I'm going back to the "regular" diet (you know, 2:1 carbs/protein etc) as I concentrate on building more strength. Thanks for the offer though . Oh and it's the Marines.

Damn going to Iraq?

Hopefully.

Thread Information