Thread: swimming

smegs is offline Member

swimming

can swimmig laps be used as a method of cardio for cutting?

say 40 min of laps first thing in the morning?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Not ideal, no.

It's exercise, yes, but you'd be hard pressed to keep your heart-rate at a steady 65-75% of the MHR for 45 mins.

~SC~

SprinterOne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Not ideal, no.

It's exercise, yes, but you'd be hard pressed to keep your heart-rate at a steady 65-75% of the MHR for 45 mins.

~SC~
    Why does his heart rate need to be between 65-75% of max for cardio? What is the reasoning behind this, just curious.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    its an optimal range for fat buring, it below the range for endurance and high enough to be effective enough to burn fat with out loosing muscle...in layman terms
    abstrack@protonmail.com

also swimming doesnt burn that many calories. Swimming is good for rehabilitation since it is low impact resistence on your joints and muscles. water resistence is used extensively in rehabilitation, but would not be optimal for fat loss.

Sorry bud but you're going to have to jump your ass on a tredmill or eliptical trainer, LOL
    abstrack@protonmail.com

soldier21 is offline Junior Member
    So what is the best cardio exercise to be doing right now?

nabs is offline New Member

running

I'd say get onto the treadmill, I think that machine is a gift from heaven for people who wanna burn fat. or an elliptical, that thing burns calories like no tomorrowo

Good lucK
    Nabs

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smegs

My answer would be, if you can keep your heart rate at 65 to 75% of target heart rate,swimming is ideal. What you do for cardio really makes little difference as long as you can raise your heart rate to this level and keep it there for 45 minutes per session.

So, if what you mean by your query, can i spash around in the pool a bit and watch the pounds melt away, the answer is no, but if you are a really strong swimmer who can swim hard with laps then swimming is awesome.
    Last edited by beenie; 06-18-2005 at 07:46 PM.

icewind is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smegs

Research shows that swimming is ineffective at fat burning.
    Some research indicated that it is difficult to get into fat burning range simply because your core body temperature is low because of the temperature of the water.

And also the body might actually try to store more fat because it is easier to "float" when you have more fat.

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by icewind
    Research shows that swimming is ineffective at fat burning.
    Some research indicated that it is difficult to get into fat burning range simply because your core body temperature is low because of the temperature of the water.

And also the body might actually try to store more fat because it is easier to "float" when you have more fat.
    I would like to see this study, as I have yet to see a fat swimmer. IMO swimming is great for cardio, I feel more cut after swimming than the treadmill, plus who needs the pounding, and reapeative motions on a treadmill, after years of repeative motion on the same machine, injuries are a sure thing..

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    I love swimming, in fact I gave up mostly all my treadmill for lap swimming. It is fantastic exercise and great for your joints (as you may know running is terrible for knees) but they are right it's not ideal for cutting. I do it because I'm not ever planning on competing and swimming gets me to where I'd like to be. Plus it builds incredible endurance (especially butterfly) and lung capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by kman
    I would like to see this study, as I have yet to see a fat swimmer. IMO swimming is great for cardio, I feel more cut after swimming than the treadmill, plus who needs the pounding, and reapeative motions on a treadmill, after years of repeative motion on the same machine, injuries are a sure thing..
    http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/...h/swimming.htm

swimming can be used..is it the best form of excercise to be used in fat loss?? may be not or may be so. If that is your only option then go for it. It would be better then nothing IMO.

Would I use it? probably not since I know what works best for me. Do I like simming? yes, but I would not do it enough at a consistent pace that would allow me to get to my goals when cutting.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Right, and just because you haven't "SEEN" a fat swimmer:

1) Doesn't mean there aren't ANY fat swimmers

2) Doesn't mean that the ones you see are thin FROM SWIMMING being the reason for which they are thin.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/...h/swimming.htm

swimming can be used..is it the best form of excercise to be used in fat loss?? may be not or may be so. If that is your only option then go for it. It would be better then nothing IMO.

Would I use it? probably not since I know what works best for me. Do I like simming? yes, but I would not do it enough at a consistent pace that would allow me to get to my goals when cutting.
    As I read your article, it appeared that the argument against swimming is that if it is done in cold water people tend to eat more than they would with other forms of exercise. My conclusions would be different than yours, assuming that this research is correct, and I have no reason to doubt it.

First don't swim in cold water.
    Second - control what you eat after you swim.

The article supported the notion that both burn the same number of calories.

SHAOKAHN is offline Member
    Swimming is fun, probably good for you too, I've always thought salt water was good for your skin too or if in a pool the chemicals. no es bueno for cardio though IMHO.
    Last edited by SHAOKAHN; 06-19-2005 at 07:44 AM.

icewind is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kman
    Actually, I have seen a lot of fat swimmers. At the gym where I train, there are a lot of hardcore swimmers they swim non-stop for 45-60 minutes 3-4 times a week and they are still quite fat.

I never said that swimming is not a good exercise...I just said that is ineffective for fat burning.

I agree.. every person in the water areobics class is fat..including the teacher that is a bit chunky herself.

any hoo..If swimming is all you have access to, then go for it. It would be better then nothing.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

alphaman is offline Member
    The core temperature factor is interesting and makes sense. But what if you're swimming in an indoor pool that's water temp is the same as the air? I'd say swimming would be good because it's a full body exercise(even more so than an elliptical). Here are some waterproof heart monitors that would help one stay in the FBZ.

http://www.heartratemonitors.com/

Why even debate this one. If you want to wm then go for it. If you have access to a heated pool then go for it. If you only have access to a non-heated pool then go for it.

If it works for you and you're lean and mean! Then keep on doing it bro! No one knows your body better then you. If you are not reaching your goals by using swimming as a method of fat burning then try a different approach.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Why even debate this one. If you want to wm then go for it. If you have access to a heated pool then go for it. If you only have access to a non-heated pool then go for it.

If it works for you and you're lean and mean! Then keep on doing it bro! No one knows your body better then you. If you are not reaching your goals by using swimming as a method of fat burning then try a different approach.

My bad, I just thought it might be a valuable contribution to the board. Next time I think I have something to contribute that's not aligned w/ a mods views, I'll keep my mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    My bad, I just thought it might be a valuable contribution to the board. Next time I think I have something to contribute that's not aligned w/ a mods views, I'll keep my mouth shut.
    Frankly I am glad that you shared your views. I wish that people would be more tolerant a views that vary from thier own, and wish that moderatotors would set an example. Used to be that they did.

you can say what ever you want. This isnt a dictatorship. You have your opinons and I have mine. I dont hold that against you or anybody else.

Like I said..If swimming works for you or anybody else then go for it. Nothing wrong with that. If it doesnt then try a different approach.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by beenie
    I wish that "people" would be more tolerant a views that vary from thier own, and wish that moderatotors would set an example. Used to be that they did.
    what are you implying or saying? I am not following here.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Right, and just because you haven't "SEEN" a fat swimmer:

1) Doesn't mean there aren't ANY fat swimmers

2) Doesn't mean that the ones you see are thin FROM SWIMMING being the reason for which they are thin.

~SC~
    For waht its worth, a good friend of mine is on a swim team, and is very lean. He believes that he has a thin layer of fat as a result of it which he believe is his body;s way of shielding it from the cold water which he has gotten very used to. That beieng said, he doesnt lift at all but he is incredibly cut and has a washboard that most guys would die for.

All this is far from scientific, I admit, but it seems to work for him. Besides, I have never seen a fat olympic swimmer. Has anyone?

what are you implying or saying? I am not following here.
    To keep the thread civil I shall explean it to you in a private message.

Besides, I have never seen a fat olympic swimmer. Has anyone?
    Have you ever seen a fat olympic athlete period? except for maybe powerlifting
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Have you ever seen a fat olympic athlete period? except for maybe powerlifting
    There you go! So we ARE all on the same page I guess.

There you go! So we ARE all on the same page I guess.
    not really but if it makes you smile then YES we are.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

There is nothing bad about it wht you have to say. You're contributions to the board are most enjoyed and needed by all members including myself. Like I told you in PM. This is not a dictatorship here and you are free to speak you opinions and spread what knowledge and ideas you have. Just because i dont totally agree with you doesnt mean it is not right nor effective.

i think this topicleads to a dead end discussion... IMO. Simming IMO is not an effective way to loose fat and I never would recommebnd it to my clients. I have had some clients in the past who were in rehabilitation or they were very old or I had one kid who had muscular dystrophy(SP?) and swimming(Water Areobics) was an option for them because it was better then nothing.

Was it better then the eliptical trainer, bike, stair stepper, or tred mill that I presrcibed to my other clients? No. Was their fat loss the same? No.

Did they train as hard as "Olympic Swimmers"

1. Swimming for countless hours per day
    2. Swimming every day of the week
    3. Training to win an olympic medal
    4. Having a swim coach

They had none of these traits.

If they had may be the top 3 of those in order they would have had probably the same results as those who used other means of equipment to shed fat, but I really dont know since I dont know too many people who train that hard when swimming.

So.... Do I support swimming as an effective method for fat loss for the average joe/jane or a bit above average jane/joe? No. definitely not

Can swimming be effective for those trying to shed fat but yet train hard as an olympic athlete does? Probably. I wouldnt limit it out.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Didn't get your PM.

Didn't get your PM.
    Hold on... i think I faaked up..I'll resend it.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Burning Fat, Building Muscle

Unfortunately, in a widely publicized 1987 study on the benefits of water exercise, swimmers reported that they didn't lose any fat or didn't increase their rate of fat loss. But these swimmers swam in cold water, which meant they needed a layer of fat to keep them warm.

Most swimming workouts take place in pools filled with warm water -- 82 to 84 degrees -- vs. typical ocean temperatures of 50 to 60 degrees. In the past, researchers have shown that some people who do rhythmic water exercise, such as water aerobics, are able to burn just as much fat and build just as muscle as they could in land exercise programs.

Let's take a look at some of the most popular workouts and how to maximize their benefits. If you are new to exercise, consult your doctor before starting this or any other exercise program. And for safety reasons, avoid swimming alone.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/14/1676_50051

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    For waht its worth, a good friend of mine is on a swim team, and is very lean. He believes that he has a thin layer of fat as a result of it which he believe is his body;s way of shielding it from the cold water which he has gotten very used to. That beieng said, he doesnt lift at all but he is incredibly cut and has a washboard that most guys would die for.

All this is far from scientific, I admit, but it seems to work for him. Besides, I have never seen a fat olympic swimmer. Has anyone?
    Thats what I meant also, Of course there are fat people that swim, most people are fat, and that is a fact in this country. But if you are lean, and I am,,, I feel IMO swimming gets me cut, treadmill is to harsh on my knee's. What works for one maynot work for others. Also my swim workouts are insane, at a high level of intensity, with rest for 30 seconds between lap routines.,... Oh and and I have never seena fat olympic swimmer either..Good thread and great article..

In all honesty saying that we've never seen a fat olympic swimmer doesn't have any connection with swimmings ability to burn fat. There are people who are naturally skinny, and these swimmers are probably amongst them. I mean, how in the world is a fat swimmer going to even qualify for the olympic team? Same reason there aren't fat track athletes (except for the field events) because a fat runner isn't going to beat a lanky guy in the 100m or any other race. I really doubt it has anything to do with the fat burning that running does.

And I'm all for swimming, I love it to death. I'm just saying that the olympic argument doesn't carry any weight.

Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    In all honesty saying that we've never seen a fat olympic swimmer doesn't have any connection with swimmings ability to burn fat. There are people who are naturally skinny, and these swimmers are probably amongst them. I mean, how in the world is a fat swimmer going to even qualify for the olympic team? Same reason there aren't fat track athletes (except for the field events) because a fat runner isn't going to beat a lanky guy in the 100m or any other race. I really doubt it has anything to do with the fat burning that running does.

And I'm all for swimming, I love it to death. I'm just saying that the olympic argument doesn't carry any weight.
    LMAO!!! When I made the comment, it was supposed to be tong and cheek. It was sort of meant to be like the comment that rabbits must have good eyesight because I have never seen one wearing glasses.

The seed of truth in what I was trying to communicate is that I believe swimmers burn calories – which leads to weight loss. Whether it’s the most effective way or not I would not argue. It seems to work very effectively for some people.

I tried it a while back, and for me, I didn’t find it as effective as the treadmill or elliptical machine, because frankly, I don’t have the skills to keep my target heart rate at the correct rate (at least that is my belief about why it wasn’t as effective for me).

Much of this may have to do with a persons ability to do it correctly. I like chest and arm exersises the most and it shows. Thats where my best development is. O know guys that like doing abs - I doubt that you would be surprised to learn that they have killer abs. If you are good at something and can do it right and consistently, I'll bet that good results await.
    Last edited by beenie; 06-20-2005 at 12:57 PM.

Well I was hoping you meant it that way, but I just had to be sure.

Thread Information