xenithon is offline Member

Honey Post Workout

Hey all,

I found this great article about honey and sports nutrition. I cannot attach it or post the file cause its in pdf format, so I decided to throw up a link here for you guys to check it out. Made for some really interesting reading - even shows some proof that honey is better than dextrose AND maltodextrin postworkout. Let me know what you guys think!

http://www.nhb.org/download/honeyandsportsnutrition.pdf

Thanks and Enjoy!

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    VERY interesting. Everyone always told me honey was 'fructose' which can not be converted to liver glycogen. Maybe I'll have to take this article and shove it in their face.

Hey, I say as long as it's sugary and Fat Free....it's game for postworkout.

PaPaPump - I think it's fructose which IS converted to liver glycogen isn't it? Just remembering some posts I read which said that things like apples and grapes are not good postworkout cause they may have simle sugars, and something like grapes has high GI, but its pure fructose which only replenished liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen.

Oh well, I have been trying for the past week or so to have my whey protein with about 30g honey (about 25g sugars) instead of maltodextrin - and I actually feel great! I will give it another week or so and then switch back to maltodextrin and see what difference I can pick up, if any.

Iwan2bsolid2 is offline Senior Member
    Fructose is the sugar that replaces liver glycogen. I wish I could read that study on honey, for some damn reason my computer won't let me?

SOLID

solid - have you got a pdf viewer (adobe acrobat). if not just download it from www.adobe.com that's the only possibility I can think of for it not showing

lemme know what error/problem it gives ya, maybe I can help ya out

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    Hey gang,

I have been using one tablespoon 19g carbs 16 g sugars

My trainer says no way, its sugar and no good.

I drink it and feel back to normal after drinking it post workout.

Im not sure if its just the sugars picking me back up but i dont seem to have a large crash off of it or anything.

thats what they always tell me.. dont eat sugars because you will crash and overeat..

not happening to me but what do yall think?

this pdf was a treasure to me. I am printing it out and the trainer and i will have a loong talk tomorrow hehe.

My money, My time
    Last edited by Buddha_Red; 05-30-2002 at 02:10 PM.

Lift2Live is offline New Member
    I've read sugary carbs are the best for muscle recovery after training, therefore I don't see any reason why the sugars in honey would be bad. The article I read, I'm not sure where, said that carbs such as those in a soda or drink like gatorade are the best type to replenish what is lost during intense training. I'll try and find the reference.

lift2live

Pembo is offline Junior Member
    Any liquid that is high in glucose is good post workout. Fructose as stated above replenishes liver glycogen not muscle glycogen so therefore honey (high in fructose) is not very good post workout. Gatorade is glucose not fructose henece good for post workout.

Thread Information