ACW
    ACW is offline New Member

tuna and oatmeal question

just a few questions about what to buy...

with the tuna, does it matter what kind of tuna i get?...some cans cost double the amount of others...right now im buying the gold seal yellow tail one at costco...would the more exspensive tuna be better for me? or is all tuna in the can the same?..

oatmeal, should i just go with the rolled oats?..or is there something better out there??..im gussing the the pre-packaged ones with fruit are no good? too much sugars?

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Not sure about the tuna, but you're right on with the oatmeal assesment. Flavored Oats are crap rolled Oats is all you need!

SHAOKAHN is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ACW
    just a few questions about what to buy...

with the tuna, does it matter what kind of tuna i get?...some cans cost double the amount of others...right now im buying the gold seal yellow tail one at costco...would the more exspensive tuna be better for me? or is all tuna in the can the same?..

oatmeal, should i just go with the rolled oats?..or is there something better out there??..im gussing the the pre-packaged ones with fruit are no good? too much sugars?

Get reg oats def. Tuna is up to your pref, although some say the solid types have a greater degree of mercury...if thats an issue

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    For tuna, just make sure it's in water and not oil. For oatmeal, buy natural oatmeal.

Quote Originally Posted by co2boi
    For tuna, just make sure it's in water and not oil. For oatmeal, buy natural oatmeal.
    Yea, def in "water"

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    Tuna in spring water and 100% rolled oats, nothing less nothing more

pyschomab is offline Associate Member
    whatever tuna you get is fine they all are high in protien and low in everything else as for oatmeal i just get the basic plain quaker oats in that big box of plain! i add some honey in it and i throw a couple spoon fulls in with my protien shake!!

dazbo is offline Senior Member
    HA!! I would say the tuna should be in oil more than in water!!!

I always use tuna in sunflower oil. Full off monos/polys and by now most people know that these are good for us. They help burn fat, promote tissue repair, increase hormones, and basically do us good!! Yeah they have more cals but if that was a prob - why would everyone supp with flax ????

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dazbo

I always use tuna in sunflower oil. Full off monos/polys and by now most people know that these are good for us. They help burn fat, promote tissue repair, increase hormones, and basically do us good!! Yeah they have more cals but if that was a prob - why would everyone supp with flax ????
    That's actually a good point bro. I think I've come to that same conclusion before, but I continue to buy in water from habit. I'm also not real crazy about the consistency of tuna in oil.

I guess if you bought it in sunflower or olive oil, you'd be getting "more bang for the buck"

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by dazbo

the oil in tuna is not high quality, cold pressed virgin oil.
    Its mostly crap oil that is filled with trans fatty acids extracted by heat. Maby the more expensive brands has high quality oil but I wouldnt count on it.

Its MUCH better to buy tuna in water and ad the oil of your choise(hemp, flax, olive beeing the best choises).

flax is a better choise then sunflower because of the higher omega 3 content. Sunflower if I remember right is abundant in omega 6 and its important to keep the balance betwen omega 3 and omega 6(1:3 at least and 1:1 optimal). Since most things contain more omega 6 we need the omega 3 addition.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    the oil in tuna is not high quality, cold pressed virgin oil.
    Its mostly crap oil that is filled with trans fatty acids extracted by heat. Maby the more expensive brands has high quality oil but I wouldnt count on it.

Its MUCH better to buy tuna in water and ad the oil of your choise(hemp, flax, olive beeing the best choises).

flax is a better choise then sunflower because of the higher omega 3 content. Sunflower if I remember right is abundant in omega 6 and its important to keep the balance betwen omega 3 and omega 6(1:3 at least and 1:1 optimal). Since most things contain more omega 6 we need the omega 3 addition.

Agreed.

Im hearing what you're saying about the quality of the oil but, I would prefer it if you could post something that proves that as we cant take word of mouth to definately be true can we.

From what I know the ratios should be 4:1 (6:3's) -

"The healthy ratio of 6s to 3s is probably about 4:1....", taken from

http://www.seasoned.com/issues/200208/c.hf.sp.html

I get very little fat in my diet other than from the fish I eat, the small amounts of good fats in my protein shake, and from all the mixed nuts I eat. Because of all the nuts, and flax/fish/evening primrose/vit e oils I also supplement with, my omega 3's are naturally high. So adding the omega 6's from my sunflower oil in the tuna (I do drain 75% of it) will prob make my ratios closer to the 4:1 ratio. If anything, theres more omega 3's. since excess omega 6's suppress your 3's, its better to be higher on the 3's than anything else. Like you say, prob 1:1 is good.

I havent saved the articles about it but I will try and find it again.

anyway the oil in tuna cans are horrible quality. If you want omega 6 buying cold pressed sunflower oil would be a better option. Remember these oils are very sensetive to heat and if extracted by heat they get ruined and trans fatty acids are created in the oils. There is just no reason on earth to consume that. But I have to admit tuna in oil tastes ALOT better

one article I found
    http://www.mercola.com/article/omega3.htm

but no references in it

here they say the ration should be less then 5:1 betwen omega 6 and 3.

http://www.healthyeatingclub.com/inf...ce-of-fats.htm

No mention if going higher on omega 3 then 6 would be more benificial or less.

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=175667

check out the link in that thread that ironfreak posted it explains it all

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...25,992,00.html

There is no established recommended daily intake for omega-3s, but a healthy diet containing significant amounts of foods rich in this essential fatty acid is clearly wise. By increasing your intake of omega-3 fatty acids, you will naturally bring the ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids back into a healthier, 2-1 or (optimally) 1-1 balance.

and this link is the one I trust the most. The pauling institue it amazing. I havent read the whole thing yet though

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...3fa/index.html

"There is no established recommended daily intake for omega-3s, but a healthy diet containing significant amounts of foods rich in this essential fatty acid is clearly wise. By increasing your intake of omega-3 fatty acids, you will naturally bring the ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids back into a healthier, 2-1 or (optimally) 1-1 balance.

Try to reduce your consumption of omega-6-rich foods at the same time that you increase your intake of omega-3-rich foods in the following categories:"

I think that says enough regarding the ratios. I guess bassically the more omega 3's, the better, and to try to reduce 6's will help. SO i guess, tuna in sunflower oil is now out the window!!!

I also use columbus eggs which are eggs fed on flax seed and other omega 3 rich seeds. So my 3's are increased even more.

Ill try out the spring water tuna!!

to much omega 3 might lower immune system. Check out the link to the pauling institue article about omega 3's

Flaxseed oil (ALA)

Although flaxseed oil is generally well tolerated, high doses of flaxseed oil (30 g/day) may cause loose stools or diarrhea. Allergic and anaphylactic reactions have been reported with flaxseed and flaxseed oil ingestion (118).
    Imune system suppression
    Potential for immune system suppression: Although the suppression of inflammatory responses resulting from increased omega-3 fatty acid intakes may benefit individuals with inflammatory or autoimmune diseases, anti-inflammatory doses of omega-3 fatty acids could decrease the potential of the immune system to destroy pathogens. Studies comparing measures of immune function outside the body at baseline and after supplementing people with omega-3 fatty acids, mainly EPA and DHA, have demonstrated immunosuppressive effects at doses as low as 0.9 g/day for EPA and 0.6 g/day for DHA (1). Although it is not clear if these findings translate to impaired immune responses inside the body, caution should be observed when considering omega-3 fatty acid supplementation in individuals with compromised immune systems (118).
    Safest thing is to stay around 30 grams/Day I recon. Dont know if we as bodybuilders have any greater need for omega 3(except as a kalorie source maby). Have not read anything about that.

Do you supplement with extra virgine olive oil also? It has a host of benifits. I usualy use a 50/50 mix of olive and flax oil in all my p/f meals.

Thread Information