robkesl is offline Senior Member

post workout shake

i read that people put dextrose in their after workout shake. as in sugar! and ive always wondered why, ive read that you should have some carbs with your shake, but ive never heard of using pure sugar!

juicyr6 is offline Junior Member
    dextrose will spike your insulin levels quicker than pure sugar, dextrose is 105 in the glycemic index i believe.

thejuiceisloose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robkesl
    i read that people put dextrose in their after workout shake. as in sugar! and ive always wondered why, ive read that you should have some carbs with your shake, but ive never heard of using pure sugar!
    Dextrose is actually corn sugar, & as previously mentioned it does spike your insulin levels.

~theJuice~

thejuiceisloose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juicyr6
    dextrose will spike your insulin levels quicker than pure sugar, dextrose is 105 in the glycemic index i believe.
    Yeup that's right

~theJuice~

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member

the exact reason.. i take 1 cup of it PWO.. talk about sweet!!!

dazbo is offline Senior Member
    The spiked insulin levels help to promote the use of protein and force it into the muscles to repair and build them. Sugar is a carb still. Nomal sugar is an empty carb with no nutritional benefit other than giving energy but needs to be converted to glucose in the body to be used as energy. Hence its not as fast acting.

Also, I always thought dextrose was the standard that all other carbs are compared to so is measured as 100. Anything else is measured as a percentage of this and given as a number 1-100. How do you get more than 100 then ? Glucose is used directly by the body so you cant get any faster acting carb

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    How do you get more than 100 then
    I believe that the Glycemic Index is used to measure how fast the substrate elevates you Blood/Glucose levels. 100 is not the highest, I think Malto is somewhere near 150 or so.

The numbers are percentages with respect to a reference food. They are given here with respect to glucose.
    there are two table where you either compare the foods to glucose or u can compare the foods to white bread given white bread a scale od 100.
    the GI of high fructose corn syrups is about the same as sucrose, i.e. 60-65 (if glucose = 100)." When white bread = 100, the GI of high fructose corn syrups is 85-92.
    white bread has a glycemic index of 70 when glucose is the reference food (glucose=100)

dextrose a monosaccharide is supposed to be 100 on a glucose based scale, althought studies have conclude it to be 111!!!. here is what people talk about when they say higher than glucose itself (Am J Clin Nutr 1981; 34: 2450-3.)
    maltodextrin a polysaccharide with a GI of 140-150

but in any case im going to be a troublemaker here and through this in the air: the GI index is not a direct correlator of insulin secretion.

dazbo is offline Senior Member
    new research, apparently, have shown that high GI foods are not the best way to spike insulin levels. Eating protein and carbs together is much better at inc insulin spikes than high GI food alone. It says in this months muscle and fitness mag!

Also, if you don't consume adequate carbs after a vigorous workout, your body will use the protein for energy (instead of for muscle building). Ketosis, which also can promote muscle breakdown, which is exactly what you don't want.

decadbal is offline Banned
    im gonna call copy and paste on a few of these...LOL

do u mean plagiarism? lol

decadbal is offline Banned
    yea..LOL...

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    High GI foods will spike your insulin no doubt, not sure there is any better way to do so....I think you mean that a pro/carb mix creates an optimal environment for muscle recovery. And to add further on the subject I have read a few abstracts that state that after a glycogen depleting exersize there is a period of glycogen synthesis that does not require insulin this lasts for 30-60 minutes.

Alpha-Male is offline Senior Member

but in any case im going to be a troublemaker here and through this in the air: the GI index is not a direct correlator of insulin secretion.
    Ingestion of a high glycemic index meal increases muscle glycogen storage at rest but augments its utilisation during subsequent exercise
    Shiou-Liang Wee1, Clyde Williams1*, Kostas Tsintzas2, and Leslie Boobis3
    1 School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough, United Kingdom
    2 School of Biomedical Sciences, Nottingham University, Nottingham, United Kingdom
    3 Sunderland Royal Hospital, Sunderland, United Kingdom

* To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: [email protected].

The aim of this study was to compare the effect of pre-exercise breakfast containing high and low glycemic index (GI) carbohydrate (CHO) (2.5g CHO/kg body mass) on muscle glycogen metabolism. On two occasions, 14 days apart, seven trained men ran at 71%VO2 max for 30 min on a treadmill. Three hours before exercise, in a randomised order, subjects consumed either isoenergetic high (HGI) or low (LGI) GI CHO breakfasts providing (per 70 kg body mass): 3.43 MJ energy, 175g CHO, 21g protein and 4g fat. The incremental areas under the 3 h plasma glucose and serum insulin response curves after the HGI meal were 3.9- (P < 0.05) and 1.4-fold greater (P < 0.001) respectively, than that after the LGI meal. During the 3 h postprandial period, muscle glycogen concentration increased by 15% (P < 0.05) following the HGI meal but remained unchanged after the LGI meal. Muscle glycogen utilisation during exercise was greater in the HGI [129.1 ± 16.1 mmol/kg dry mass (dm)] compared to the LGI (87.9 ± 15.1 mmol/kg dm, P<0.01) trial. Although the LGI meal contributed less CHO to muscle glycogen synthesis in the 3 h postprandial period compared to the HGI meal, a sparing of muscle glycogen utilisation during subsequent exercise was observed in the LGI trial, most likely as a result of better maintained fat oxidation

yes, cut and paste...

Thread Information