eyernvxxn is offline Female Member

strength & calorie defecit

This seems like such an idiotic question, but...
    Do you need to eat more calories to gain strength like you would if you were trying to get mass-- in other words, can you continue to make good strength gains while cutting?
    Last edited by eyernvxxn; 06-19-2005 at 04:00 PM.

HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    that ussually doesnt happen so no.

some cases you might(if steriods are in the mix or, if you're reintroducing weight training)

IronFreakX is offline Banned

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by eyernvxxn
    This seems like such an idiotic question, but...
    Do you need to eat more calories to gain strength like you would if you were trying to get mass-- in other words, can you continue to make good strength gains while cutting?
    depends really , there is no yes or no. You have to try and see what happens........

I.E: im cutting rite now......have approx a 200 calorie deficit , do E cardio in the morning , and weights in the evening (make sure to have 3 meals between cardio and weights to preserve strength)

and im gaining strength , not losing it or keeping it

-eat enough protein
    -dont get ur calories too low
    -have enough carbs atkins now!!
    -have 3 meals between cardio and weights
    -sleep 8-9 hrs
    -drink lotsa water

eyernvxxn is offline Female Member
    I can also usually gain at least a little on a calorie defecit, basically I'm just whittling the diet down-- where I can gain at the most muscle while concentrating most on losing fat. And also for the future strength gaining only phrase I want to get more exact with the diet than I have been in the past...ohhh yeah, I got out the scale the other day Also while I was reading the bulking sticky I was thinking "theres no way I can eat that much food without getting FAT, do I really need to?"

what do you consider enough carbs, anyway?

btw I got rid of the Atkins thing, lol. I was starting to feel too shitty. Now I wonder how I ever did it...
    Last edited by eyernvxxn; 06-22-2005 at 07:52 PM.

theoretically your body only needs maybe 100cals above maintanence level to gain msucle, it's finding that very fine line between putting muscle on and keeping the fat gain to a minimum thats the hard part. but sticking to a very very very clean diet but slightly being in a positive caloric intake i htink would be your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by icewind
    If you have a caloric deficit...then YES.. your strength will drop. Why? Because as you drop your calories, so will your glycogen levels. Less glycogen means less energy for muscle contraction.

Not really , in most cases yeah i dropped my cals like 100 and im gaining strength , every1 is different tho.....people drop 500cals at a time which is equal to 125 grams protein or carbs or 59 grms of fat or a mix of all 3 which would equal a loss in strength...

Unless you are on steroids (and I hope you are not!!)....you will not gain any strength. Y do u hope she is not on steroids???????...Im havent used steroids yet and i am gaining strength.....

Same thing happens to the competitive bodybuilders...in off season they are big and strong...and when they a dieting for a show...their strength goes down a lot along with some size.

But this doesnt make ne sense u said u will not gain ne strength unless u are on steroids......and the pros are using steroids...unless u think theyre using cell-tech and nitro-tech.......
    reply in red.....Not flaming just wondering.....

BUMP FOR ICEwind....

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    IronFreakX,
    I think he means that if you are in a calorie deficit, and are losing weight and strength, _then_ you add steroids , you'll start gaining back some of that strength. The pros are on all the time, so when they cut the calories, they lose size and strength also.

To the original poster, whenever I start eating substantially less, I get noticeably weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    IronFreakX,
    I think he means that if you are in a calorie deficit, and are losing weight and strength, _then_ you add steroids , you'll start gaining back some of that strength. The pros are on all the time, so when they cut the calories, they lose size and strength also.

To the original poster, whenever I start eating substantially less, I get noticeably weaker.
    I know that the pro lose strength the dieting the diueritcs etc.. etc.. etc...

i just want him to explain a few point like why he hopes she is not using steroids..e.tc...
    peace

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I usualy gain strenght easily while cutting even on very low kcal. But Im juicing offcourse.

In my personal opinion...females should never use steroids .
    That is why I said that.
    And why is that?care to explain?or because they are just bad for women...
    Again...if you cut your calories...you will loose strength. These is simply no way you will lift the same amount of weight while dieting.
    Even if you think you are right....you do not say there is simply no way , what works for you may not work for others and vice versa......
    If you think otherwise, you haven't been in this business for long enough. No offense.
    yup i havent been in this business long enough only five years i still have alot to learn...but hey i guess you know it all haha

In the future stick to your knowledge bout M3's

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Typically, no. Getting stronger normally goes hand-in-hand with gaining more muscle, which isn't going to happen on a caloric deficit. However, I think there's an exception. I think you can get stronger simply by making the existing muscle fibers more efficient. I'm sure your existing level of conditioning would dictate the level of feasible improvement...

i think u hit the bull's eye there co2boi...

Im not by any means huge or nething im bout 190 i lean out at 180 , 176..but my lifts are big.....and people say why arent u bigger ur lifting alot more than bigger guys.....so i guess thats it.....muscle &nerve effeciency....

look at the lower weightclasses in olympic weight lifting. strong as hell but realy not that built

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm cutting right now... no drugs...low-calories...low-carbs...but adequate fats.

I'm stronger than i've ever been prior...even at this lighter bodyweight.

So i'd have to disagree... Strength gains can be made while on restricted calories.

The main factors in retaining my strength (and making gains), i'd have to say are:

1. adequate fat intake.
    2. consistency: constantly attempting heavy weights even when you don't feel like
    3. mental conditioning: positive reinforcement: I imagine each rep of each set prior to attempting the weight...I read about the technique and have been using it with success.
    4. not overdoing cardio...just doing enough to get the results i want

Those that've followed my career would know i'm not bullshitting.

For example. At the beginning of my contest prep this year...by deadlift max was 405...at a bodyweight of 198

This week i pulled 475 and i'm currently 189 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    I'm cutting right now... no drugs...low-calories...low-carbs...but adequate fats.

I'm stronger than i've ever been prior...even at this lighter bodyweight.

So i'd have to disagree... Strength gains can be made while on restricted calories.

The main factors in retaining my strength (and making gains), i'd have to say are:

1. adequate fat intake.
    2. consistency: constantly attempting heavy weights even when you don't feel like
    3. mental conditioning: positive reinforcement: I imagine each rep of each set prior to attempting the weight...I read about the technique and have been using it with success.

Wtf man this is wut im doing exactly........

Those that've followed my career would know i'm not bullshitting.

For example. At the beginning of my contest prep this year...by deadlift max was 405...at a bodyweight of 198

This week i pulled 475 and i'm currently 189 lbs.
    hey how old are you?

Currently 22...23 in september.

This is my 6th year competing in bodybuilding.

yeah i saw ur pics u look gr8.....

i only had one local....strength when i was bout 16 hopefully i wanna do some more

18 natural deadlift is only 330 kinda low but its getting higher

where are you gonna be competing? do u ever do powerlifing comp?

1. adequate fat intake.
    number 2 is the reason I like powerlifting when cutting

Quote Originally Posted by IronFreakX
    yeah i saw ur pics u look gr8.....

i only had one local....strength when i was bout 16 hopefully i wanna do some more

18 natural deadlift is only 330 kinda low but its getting higher

where are you gonna be competing? do u ever do powerlifing comp?
    Thanks man.

I'll be doing Nationals in my home country (Barbados) in August...and then hopefully Regionals in Aruba in October.

I never attempted powerlifting cus one of my major lifts sucks...my bench-press namely

My max squat and deads are both over 400...and my hang clean is over 200... but my max bench isn't worth jack.

Sorry to hijack the post btw

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    number 2 is the reason I like powerlifting when cutting
    makes a lot of sense IMO...

What exercises do you incorporate?

I'm doing hang cleans, clean & press, power cleans, deadlifts (i do these year-round now).

I'm also modifying some movements to increase core strength:

For shoulders:
    Barbell press-behind-neck: starting position... hang-clean to overhead position

Legs: Front squat: starting with the bar in the dead lift position...power cleaned to shoulders...and then to a front squat.

I find these exercises/modifications have really upped my core strength..my musculature...and subsequently positively impacted my pet lifts (barbell squat/deadlift etc.)

again...sorry for hijacking this thread

I ususaly follow westside powerlifting and do alot of wierd exercises. goodmornings, box squats, a wide variety of dealifts

for upper body I do these as heavy exercises close grip, decline, inclinde bench, floor press, reverse grip bench, dips and alot of others.

if your not familair with westside read a bit about it its fascinating stuff and very informative. When I started to read about it my whole idea of workouts was thrown out the window.

btw interesting exercise variations. I would try them if I didnt have so bad form in cleans. No one to coach them to me either.

I used to do clean and press alot a couple of years ago though. Never got more then 100kg(220ibs)but they did wonders for my explositivity and shoulders.

icewind is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFreakX
    And why is that?care to explain?or because they are just bad for women...

Even if you think you are right....you do not say there is simply no way , what works for you may not work for others and vice versa......

yup i havent been in this business long enough only five years i still have alot to learn...but hey i guess you know it all haha

In the future stick to your knowledge bout M3's
    Apparently is your five awesome years of experience you were jerking off most of the times if the gym's bathroom instead of working out.

Yup saving it all in a big barrel for you................ a 1 person bukkae that im sure ull enjoy...than myabe u can drink the rest

P.S :If u dont have ne usefull info regarding this thread/forum then

Last edited by IronFreakX; 06-25-2005 at 02:19 AM.

Thread Information