dazbo is offline Senior Member

a little confused on carbs after exercise....

I resalise that I need to consume the correct PWO nutrition and all that after a weights training session. But, I always thought it would be the same after something like and hour or so of football for example.

The thing is, my thoughts on it are like this. I know that you need to restore glycogen levels in the muscles after WIEGHTS because thats when it gets depleted. But apparently (from a post I read by the one and only swolecat), you dont need to restore glycogen after cardio because they arent depleted. But, surely, when you start playing football for example, I would say that my muscles are working hard and need a lot of power to get me moving quick and sharp. So, for the first 5-10mins, wont I be using up my glycogen stores then ?? And therefore, this wud mean I need to restore them afterwards??? I would say the body uses the glycogen to start with before it starts using oxygen etc aerobically at the start of any exercise.

Any ideas on this ??

thanks

bump

niXon)( is offline Member
    If you think you have been losing muscle for the past years you've played football, if you get what i mean, try it out. if you start gaining too much weight/fat, i would drop it and replace it just with a pro\carb meal

how the heck do you get away playing football looking like a steroid freak?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by niXon)(
    how the heck do you get away playing football looking like a steroid freak?
    What kind of question/half assed assumption is that?

~SC~

JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    Is that you in your avatar? Lookin' jacked bro. As far as football, isn't that why they all drink gatorade, to replace glycogen and metabolites etc.

niXon)( is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    What kind of question/half assed assumption is that?

~SC~
    easy tiger

Can you not see his avatar or somthing?

I asked because i've been accused of steroid use many times, and am looking to walk on to my college football team. Just wondering if all the football players at his college look jacked like him, then it may not be an issue, but for me it is. it's D-2

Oh swole, I thought you would have been the man to answer my question!!??!!

does anyone actually know the answer to this ?? I am having difficulty shredding the last bit of fat around my waist/lower back and chest so maybe I will just cut it out all together??

Anyone else please ???

thanks so far

Oh yeah, and BTW - that pic, and other I have are prior to any AAS - it just makes me look bigger than I really am

Quote Originally Posted by niXon)(
    easy tiger

Can you not see his avatar or somthing?

I asked because i've been accused of steroid use many times, and am looking to walk on to my college football team. Just wondering if all the football players at his college look jacked like him, then it may not be an issue, but for me it is. it's D-2
    I see his avatar just fine, but I don't see how an athlete who plays football and is supposed to be in great shape already would be labeled a gear user? I've seen guys 2 times his size and no one points any fingers. I guess it's a matter of where you play, who you are around, how much people know about lifting/eating correctly/etc.

It's more of a matter of the way in which you stated what you did. Sounded juvenile and demeaning.

~SC~

Dependent upon your total dietary plan of attack, what you eat after may differ. However, I'd have a clean carb/pro/veggie meal after football myself. No need for dextrose, no, but you should have some carbs IMHO.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by dazbo
    I resalise that I need to consume the correct PWO nutrition and all that after a weights training session. But, I always thought it would be the same after something like and hour or so of football for example.

The thing is, my thoughts on it are like this. I know that you need to restore glycogen levels in the muscles after WIEGHTS because thats when it gets depleted. But apparently (from a post I read by the one and only swolecat), you dont need to restore glycogen after cardio because they arent depleted. But, surely, when you start playing football for example, I would say that my muscles are working hard and need a lot of power to get me moving quick and sharp. So, for the first 5-10mins, wont I be using up my glycogen stores then ?? And therefore, this wud mean I need to restore them afterwards??? I would say the body uses the glycogen to start with before it starts using oxygen etc aerobically at the start of any exercise.

Any ideas on this ??

thanks

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I have to agree..... a simple pro/carb meal right after football is all ya need.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    An hour of football ball isn't likely to deplete you of glycogen. I've read studies that showed cyclists cycled for 2 hours at 75% VO2 max to deplete glycogen. So you won't be completely depleted. I'd say Swole and Tex gave you good advice, pro/carb meal afterwards should be just fine. However lets say you are doing something like 2 a days (used to hate those back in the day) you're gonna wanna comsume something like the new gatorade endurance to you can replenish glycogen beforeyour next practice. Also what are you eating before practice?

Right just to clarify - when I say football, I mean english football, kicking the ball. It normally lasts between 1 1/2 and 2 hrs at a go and I play it once a week. I also ride to work, 25mins, and ride back on my bike, 25mins. Again, this is another question to do with the carbs. Should I just skip the dextrose and just leave that for after lifting only ?? I think thats what you;re saying so sounds good. Id prob prefer that. My teat at night is always protein and complex carbs so Im good there.

Thanks for the help.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Damn bro, I thought for sure you were an American Football player....If you are going hard for 1.5 to 2 hours you are def gonna be depleting glycogen, I still say you are fine with a pro/carb meal afterwards...The only reason to use Dextrose after football would be if you had to something afterwards another game, practice, etc...I'd just make sure the bike ride was nice and easy and you should have no issues!

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I'd still say that a good pro/carb meal is all ya need.....

Thread Information