Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Alpha-Male is offline Senior Member

chronic diet soda drinkers beware!!!

okay, this isnt in regards to sweetners, it's about the acids...

went to the dentist wednesday...up to this point, ive never had a single cavity, family history of strong, good teeth, Soniccare brush 'em twice a day, floss at night...havent been to a dentist in about 3 years or so, and HOLY SHIT...6 fillings and 2 crowns! one is so bad, it might need a root canal! guess why????? yeah, all the frickin' diet soda i drink, the acids are eating away at my teeth...and it doesnt matter how much you brush or floss, unless you do it IMMEDIATELY after drinking the soda, the damage is done...needless to say, i am very upset, not cuz all the drillin' that's about to take place, but 'cuz i may have to give up my diet sodas!!!! well, or carry a frickin' toothbrush and toothpaste everywhere i go...son of a bitch...i never get to have any fun...

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    How did you come to the conclusion that it was acid from diet soda?

Perhaps this had something to do w/not being to the dentist in 3 years?

Reason I ask, is I drink diet soda like it's going out of style, and my dental exams every 6 months are just fine. Maybe it just depends on the person??

~SC~

well, my dentist said so, but i guess i should have worded it properly:

"the acid in regular and diet pop has the potential to contribute to enamel breakdown and when combined with sugar can contribute to rampant decay"

you're a hardcore diet fiend, so im sure you don't go near much sugar, but over the past few years, my diet (and workouts for that matter) have been...subpar.

"The pH of regular and diet pops ranges from 2.47-3.35. The PH in our mouth is normally about 6.2 to 7.0 slightly more acidic than water. At a PH of 5.2 to 5.5 or below the acid begins to dissolve the hard enamel of our teeth"

this is proven fact, but i guess it's when you throw sugar (bad sugar) into the mix, you can have problems...btw, i did mention that even though i wasnt going to the dentist, i did, and do, brush twice a day and floss at night.

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-Male
    okay, this isnt in regards to sweetners, it's about the acids...

went to the dentist wednesday...up to this point, ive never had a single cavity, family history of strong, good teeth, Soniccare brush 'em twice a day, floss at night...havent been to a dentist in about 3 years or so, and HOLY SHIT...6 fillings and 2 crowns! one is so bad, it might need a root canal! guess why????? yeah, all the frickin' diet soda i drink, the acids are eating away at my teeth...and it doesnt matter how much you brush or floss, unless you do it IMMEDIATELY after drinking the soda, the damage is done...needless to say, i am very upset, not cuz all the drillin' that's about to take place, but 'cuz i may have to give up my diet sodas!!!! well, or carry a frickin' toothbrush and toothpaste everywhere i go...son of a bitch...i never get to have any fun...
    hmmmmmm I always thought they told you to stop drinking soda because of the sugar, as thats what made you teeth go bad. Am not sure its the acids bro. News to me anyway.

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    I don't drink any type of soda anyway. Just water for me thanx!

here's some more...just google the shit, it's out there:

"Tooth decay: Don't think your teeth are safe because you stick to diet soda. The acid in all varieties of soda (regular, diet, cola and non-cola) is even more damaging to teeth than sugar. Acid wears away and weakens tooth enamel, which in turn can lead to cavities and other forms of tooth decay. In fact, a study in the January/February 2005 issue of General Dentistry found that non-cola soft drinks, energy/sports drinks and commercial lemonade "showed the most aggressive dissolution effect on dental enamel." To minimize the damaging effects, try not to sip these types of drinks for long periods of time and rinse your mouth with water or brush your teeth afterwards"

SC, i'm sure you're not the onlyl one who drinks the hell outta soda with no problems, but it doesnt mean everyone will be so lucky

alphaman is offline Member
    I've heard this as well. As a matter of fact(I don't know if it's true or not), I'va also heard that if you leave a nail(hammer&nail kind) in a glass of coke for a month or so, the nail will disintigrate!

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Yeah, I know acids are bad for ya, no argument there!

~SC~

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey AM thats why i just inject the soda .. better than orally drinking soda with less sides..
    Last edited by Deezuhl; 06-21-2005 at 09:35 AM.

yannick32 is offline Associate Member
    I did ear that somewhere too i guess that if you dont abuse you should be fine.

just got back from the dentist, 2 FRICKIN' ROOT CANALS!!!!! dood, i hate pain...yeah, i think MODERATION is key here...ohhhh, thank God for Vicodin

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    My grandfather never brushed his teeth in his life. He always ate an apple before bed and he never had a single cavity or a single visit due to teeth issues in all of his life.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    My grandfather never brushed his teeth in his life. He always ate an apple before bed and he never had a single cavity or a single visit due to teeth issues in all of his life.

I'm assumiing the apple is what did it? How did he keep them clean?

And did he drink diet soda?

Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    I'm assumiing the apple is what did it? How did he keep them clean?
    dont know bro. he never brushed or gargled. always ate an apple before bed.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    And did he drink diet soda?
    He drank regular pop and lots of alcohol. My grandfather lots his leg after 50 due to ganggreen from diabetes. He never followed the doctors orders.

He drank- Pure Alcoholic.
    He smoked
    He drank pop

Never had a cavity or trip to the dentist though, LOL
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    It was probably the ascorbic acid in the apple that did the trick. I read in a book(Fit duch vitamine) that a bunch of biochemist after learning how good ascorbic acid is for the teeth started instead of brushing they ate one whole lemon each morning and night and that keep there teeth and mouth in perfect condition.

its suposed to works since the ascorbic acid kills the karies bacteria and strenghtens the gum while it makes calcium more efficent in rebuilding the teeth.

Dave321 is offline AR's Salad Tossing Connoisseur
    I drank 5 diet pepsi's yesterday... feelin a little quarky...

GQSuperman is offline Banned

same here

never had a cavity in my life.. got to grad school and drank diet pepsi all day and night to keep me up for work/studies. brushed and flossed twice a day, but had no dental insurance for 2 years. i moved on to an other grad program for my PhD with dental and had two cavities....one needing a root canal. it was all the pop i'm sure.

besides, dental cleanings just clean your teeth, just as brushing/flossing does. with the fluoride in the drinking water and mouth washes/tootpastes, not seeing a dentist shouldn't be the end of the world. they simply spot problmes before they get to the point of things like root canals.

on that note, i did hear about a study on some sort of chemical, that when applied once to teeth may render caviites a thing of the past. it is supposed to permanantly protect teeth from the bacteria that cause cavities...with just one application....dentists could be a thing of the past.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    its suposed to works since the ascorbic acid kills the karies bacteria and strenghtens the gum while it makes calcium more efficent in rebuilding the teeth.
    wouldnt the acid eat up or dissolve the enamel?

aperently not. I also thought that was odd but think about it like this. We are evolved to eat fruits. So its obvious it cant be that bad for our teeth. What is bad is all the processed s*it we eat day in and day out.

aperently not. I also thought that was odd but think about it like this. We are evolved to eat fruits. So its obvious it cant be that bad for our teeth. What is bad is all the processed s*it we eat day in and day out.
    We also ate raw meat?but now if i eat it beware of the horrible gas , stomach aches....

r u sure bout that tho.....ill just eat after every meal and b4 bed cuz i hate brushing my teeth b4 bed....feels gross.....

well as far as I know acidity isnt a issue caries bacteria is. So if ascorbic acid kills of caries bacteria there is no big problem. I would think that ph level of the mouth can restore itself pretty quickly if the saliva secretion is working properly. Lactic acid bacteria for instance can protect the mouth but they need low ph to exist so if low ph was so bad for teeth that would contradict itself.

also we are only talking about eating one lemon. Not pure ascorbic acid

so its kool i can eat a lemon 2 times a day a nd once b4 bed and not brush my teeth? that would be kool

lol Im not saying Im SURE it will work. I just read that a couple of biochemists in california does it since they figured out it would be better then brushing. Try it and let us know lol

lol Im not saying Im SURE it will work. I just read that a couple of biochemists in california does it since they figured out it would be better then brushing. Try it and let us know lol
    dentists here hurt like hell and cost alot.....im mailing u the bill if this fails

haha jk bro ill try it for a week and then go the dentist....

dood, i dont know where you got that info, but lemon juice has a pH of about 2.3, very acidic, which is NOT GOOD for teet...once the pH in your mouth drops below 5.5, it starts to corrode the enamel...saliva acts as a buffer, so anything that could act in a similar manner should help...i have no idea where this lemon crap came from...here is an experiment conducted to see how long it took for the pH to return above 5.5 after ONE swallow of cola

In the table on the right you can see the our Stephan Daan Raymon
    Results. You can see that saliva is in normal pH saliva normal 6,9 6,9 7,2
    conditions neutral, and that cola has a high pH cola 2,7 2,7 2,7
    acidic pH value. You can also see the pH of pH saliva – 15 sec 4,6 4,8 4,9
    your saliva drops to a value around 5. After pH saliva – 3 min 5,9 6,3 6,1
    3 min the pH is above 5.5, and there is no pH saliva – 5 min 6,2 6,5 6,7
    decomposition of your enamel anymore. pH saliva – 10 min 6,8 6,9 7,1
    But you can also see that after 10 min of
    taking a large swallow of cola the pH of your saliva is just a little bit under his normal value.

yeah, 3 minutes for one swallow, that means quite a bit of time for a whole can, eh? there is something on the market now, it's like a mint/drop that you take immediately after eating/drinking that's purported to act as a buffer...i would research that long before trying this LEMON B.S., IMO...peace

thats why I said Im not sure it works and that I only read that a few biochemists are doing it. No where did I say its a fact. I just thought it was interesting and I wouldnt be suprised if it turns out to be true. Who knows what other protective things are in fruits ect. We havent figured it all out yet. But I do know one thing. Humans are made for food like that and we didnt have tooth brushes 10 000 years ago. Not ph buffers either.

Look at wild animals. They have perfect teeth.

btw atlest here there is sugarfree candy that acts as a ph buffer and that neutralises acids after each meal. they taste SO good but god damn they are horrible to the stomach.

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    How did you come to the conclusion that it was acid from diet soda?

Perhaps this had something to do w/not being to the dentist in 3 years?

Reason I ask, is I drink diet soda like it's going out of style, and my dental exams every 6 months are just fine. Maybe it just depends on the person??

~SC~

Ditto...... I drink atleast 3-4 cans of diet soda every day and I never get cavities. I also go to the dentist for a checkup / cleaning every 6 months. I really think it is more the fact that he hasn't been going in for regular checkups than anything else.

wild animals, and people of 10000 years ago also didnt have cotton candy, cupcakes, and especially CARBONATED SODA! and not all animals have perfect teeth ya' goober , please tell me your kidding...and chill, i wasnt doggin' ya bro, just didnt want some guy cursing you later at the dentist office cuz you told him eating lemons at night would keep him from getting cavities ...PEACE

AM

again, as is the case with Swolecat i'm sure, you arent combining any sugar with your soda, are you? if so, i dont know what to say cuz it's a proven fact that carbonated soda corrodes your enamel...PERIOD!

lol yeah I know those things are horror and thats why I dont eat shit like that(except cheat day) and I avoid to drink anything but water.

I used to have HORRIBLE teeth as a kid and I still have a yellow collor to them(cant even get it polished away) So now I dont risk them anymore. I think a more natural way of eating without processed foods and simple carbs is the way to go for teeth health.

I realy jope no one would only use lemons for like a year just because of my advice

alpha do you think it might be possible that acid only do serious damange if the mouths natural defenses(bacterias ect) is already weakened? Maby a healthy mouth can neutralise it very quickly(not just by raising ph but by other mechanism).

Just throwing out some ideas.

dammit...well shit, let's see...off to the search pages

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    Genetics!

lol check the pauling institute they might have something on it. I know a famous swedish imunologist(she has written several books. The self healing human and others)is cooperating with a company that sells a pro biotic that is suposed to help the mouth alot protecting against stuff like that. She has a very good reputation so I would buy it if I could afford it.

also ascorbic acid is shown to almost imidietly stop mouth bleeing incase anyone has a problem with a bleading gum.

well, apparently there are many enzymes secreted into the saliva that are involved, so i'm assuming that if you are defecient in anyone of these (still havent found a direct link) then you could have problems, and that could definitely be genetic...they also showed that the body's production of saliva and these enzymes goes way down at night during sleep, so it would seem that night-time care is ESSENTIAL...duh i guess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information