Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

The alternate diet

Once again I cant make upp my mind fully on what kind of approach I should have. Going to diet for maby 8-9 more weeks then Im done. Will se if I can last that long. My desire to change aint all that big anymore

Anyway I am disgustingly sic of super low carb so Im gonna do a diet that looks like this instead

Meal 1:
    Whey
    Flax/olive oil
    46g protein, 3g carbs, 10g fat 283kcal

Meal 2:
    Mung beans
    Tuna
    veggies
    49g protein, 24g carbs, 1g fat 301kcal

Meal 3:
    Whey
    Apple
    54g protein, 22g carbs, 6g fat 358kcal

Meal 4:
    Lentils
    tuna
    veggies
    47g protein, 25g carbs, 1g fat 297kcal

Meal 5:
    Whey
    Oil
    53g protein, 4g carbs, 16g fat 372kcal

One more apple thrown in during the day

Daily total 250g protein, 95g carbs, 35g fat 1700kcal
    protein is 59% of kcal, carbs 25% and fat 19%

Would like to lower fat more but cant do that since there is fat in my whey powder. Would like for my fat to be 10% of kcal and only from flax and olive. This is the closest I can get. Never tried a realy low fat diet before.

every carb source is lower then 50gi(on a scale where white bread is 100)

I dont expect any great results though since I feel now that I wont be able to put my mind into this 100%.

veggies I eat will be alot of spinach, grean beans, broccoli, tomatoes, cucumber

dazbo is offline Senior Member
    off topic - but I can certainly see how you can get your post numbers up so high !!! All the above could have been in one post!

Anyway, good idea I think. We always want change dont we and at least if you do it you will know how you respond.

I am going to do similar when I finish bulking. that is, rather than being low carb higher fats, Im going equal protein and carbs with low fat just for a month or so to see how I change - if at all.

May help a lot you never know

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    When you run higher carb/low fat diets when trying to lose bodyfat, you usually lose bodyweight (fat AND muscle to a great degree) more-so than solely bodyfat. Even when you reduce all the macros equally (which is not the case in low-fat diets, fats are lowest), to get below maintenance, those kcals and percentages are not ones that support lean muscle and encourage bodyfat to be used. (Since the carbs are used for energy, and nothing is really "burned" from the body. Not bodyfat for sure if plenty of carbs are present for energy/blood glucose) Then on top of that, fats are really low and cannot send the survival message to the body to let stored fat go, as is the case when we are receiving plenty of it via our diet. (Usually in a lower carb environement no matter how long the duration)

Reduced calorie diets I've found are not nearly as good as diets higher in calories, but with lots of them coming from healthy fat sources. I call it encouragement to let stored fat go. This is just what I've found, it may differ for some, but it seems to work very well for myself. Remember that cardio and weights play a big role in the transformation, yes, but that's even more important as those activities need to be supported by certain nutrients, timing, etc.

~SC~

swole what would you think would be a better approach for me.

Either this way or continuing with high fat low carbs but bump upp overall kcal? Not much happens with my body right now and Im at 1700-1850kcal/day. No major weightloss or anything. Im at loss on what to do

Cutting down kcal even more would also be one approach but damn I dont know if I can handle that to be honest.

For literaly months before this I have been on low carb and plenty of good fats. Have gotten something like 60-80% of my fats from flax, olive, nuts and avacado. My body seems to have adapted to this diet totaly.

My weight slowely goes down while strenght increases. But to keep my motivation high I now need to drop a few kg fast so that I can se some kind of change bodywise since I am very very tired mentaly of following a controled diet.

cant throw in extra cutting aids either since I seem to get heart palpations from them all(atleast ephedra and clen ).

Quote Originally Posted by dazbo
    off topic - but I can certainly see how you can get your post numbers up so high !!! All the above could have been in one post!

Anyway, good idea I think. We always want change dont we and at least if you do it you will know how you respond.

I am going to do similar when I finish bulking. that is, rather than being low carb higher fats, Im going equal protein and carbs with low fat just for a month or so to see how I change - if at all.

May help a lot you never know

I have been here since 2001 So the post have accumulated over quite some time.

When it comes to me I sometimes change just for my sanity

this would be the diet I am following now(offcourse I have lost a little more then one kg in 2 weeks so its working).

Fine tuned diet, critique

Alpha-Male is offline Senior Member
    Well, it's tough to ever "semi-dispute" anything with Swole, simply cuz he looks so damn good , but i have to tell you, couple years ago, before i came to this board, i had been going to a nutritionist here in Houston for a few months, and she had me on a high protein, moderate carb (200-300g), and almost ZERO fat regimen (had fruits, no PWO shakes with dex, lots of things that "go against" some of the teachings here), and i have to tell you, i went from about 18% all the way down to around 8% (in under a year), and my LBM increased...overall weight came down slightly...all-natural (except the last two months ), and no cardio...again, it worked for me, and may not be optimal, but should be noted that it's a viable alternative, especially if you keep it strict and watch overall Kcal consumption, and work out religiously...i can admit that the scientific data is there to back up lots of these issues with pre/post workout nutrition, but it almost seems as if we're splitting hairs with some of this stuff, in our never-ending search to find that "perfect" blend that will turn us all into Swolecats

i am currently in the process of attempting to devise a "new and improved" diet for myself, and have been perusing many sites and reading many books to come up with the "perfect" plan...but i think in the end, i just need to jump in and see what works best for me...i am going to incorporate many if not all of the principles ive seen on this board into my next plan, to see how they work for me and if my results are that noticable...

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Alpha.....I most certainly believe what you are saying but any Nutritionist that would have you eating next to no fat is insane....Fat are way more important to ones physiological/physical/hormonal well being than carbohydrates are. Simply put with a zero fat diet you can/will die....What kind of protein were you eating because maybe you were ingesting alot more fat than you actually thought??? Did you include Omega's? I would love to know because I have never heard of anyone advocating a near Zero fat diet.

i'm sorry, maybe i should've said very low fat...tuna, chicken, 99%lean ground turkey, egg whites with one yolk/twice a day, yams, brown rice, oatmeal, half a banana and strawberries in my shake with ON whey, green beans, melons/berries...no EFA supplements or flax seed...didnt die

I dont think there is any perfect plan. Maby different apporaches that is either equaly good or suits some better then others.
    I guess trial and error within resonable limits is the best approach.

I have to point out though that when I say "low fat" I mean a diet that still includes decent ammounts(15-20grams) of EFA rich oils.

Im wondering though if the phytochemicals and flavinoids in some carb foods(like beans)would be a aid in fatloss. Im trying to look at it from a micronutriten point of view also not only macro. Its tricky.

I think maby micronutritens somehow is neglected when planning bb diets.

Take a thing like phantotenic acid. A korean doctor has succesfully treated obesity with high dosages of phantotenic acid. Its well know that its crucial for fat metabolism and he showed its value in high dosage(here is the abstract alpha http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...t_uids=8583972 There are no results or dosages in that abstract but its quoted in a book and he used 2,5grams 4 times a day and avarage weightloss was 1,2kg/week. No hunger or fatigue was reported and no ketones found in the urine as is usual with regular restricted kcal diets).

Would be fun to se what kind of diet would optimise all the hormones ect for fat burning. Raising leptin, lowering ghrelin and so on.

Indeed!

When you can get to know exactly what is best for you, then you're basically set!

People will differ, that's for sure. It's about adjusting if it doesn't work, keeping accurate recall of what has been tried, what didn't work, etc.

Training and cardio have a lot of input to all of this too, and genetics are what basically say what is best/not best for you.

~SC~

dazbo is offline Senior Member
    hey swole. Like your replies on this one. Is there any chance you could post your typical days diet while cutting please ?? Or PM it to me ? I know you're much bigger but it would give me and idea and maybe help me choose another form of diet for myself. Im really bored with the one Im on cos its not really working a great deal I dont think.

Thanks

Well, right now I am bulking so I can let you know how that's going!

When I cut, I use phases, so there never one period of time where I do the same thing for a consistent period. I reduce carbs as time goes on if I need to, and I up the cardio activity and fats.

~SC~

SpinalTap is offline Junior Member
    about the whole "seeing what works best" thing. should you do the diet for about 2 months or so before you decide if it worked or not? it seems to be it would take more like a year since when you try a new one, i figured it wouldnt realy change to drastically if it still had the basic ideas from this site.

SpinalTap is offline Junior Member
    one more thing for Johan: when do you do cardio?

well I would know after 4-5 weeks of it works. If I aint dropping atleast half a kg(about a pund) every week then I consider it a bad approach.

I do cardio before breakfast on empty stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap
    about the whole "seeing what works best" thing. should you do the diet for about 2 months or so before you decide if it worked or not? it seems to be it would take more like a year since when you try a new one, i figured it wouldnt realy change to drastically if it still had the basic ideas from this site.
    actually, i know guys who measure/readjust every two weeks, but most shoot for at least a month...again, taking a peek in a mirror is prob. your best bet

Thread Information