Thread: suggestions...

Alpha-Male is offline Senior Member

suggestions...

hey bros...well, i've got a herniated disc L5-S1, and two moderate bulges above that...i've decided to go ahead with an operation, simply cuz this back pain has limited me for years from doing heavy squats, deads, etc, and my core strength has suffered greatly, and in turn, my overall development.

my question is...since i'm obviously going to be laid up and out of the gym for awhile, what would you guys suggest for a "maintenance" diet? i pretty much figured my Daily Caloric Expenditure, bw*11*.15(15%sedentary daily activity level), and since i won't be in the gym, what would a good macro ratio be? you think 1.8g/kg bw should be good for protein, since that level would at least, theoretically, keep me in a postive nitrogen balance? also, i'll probably still keep 6 meals a day, so should i cut carbs out of the last two? and would i be okay mixing small amounts of good fats (say around 10g or so) in with my carb/pro meals? any help is appreciated...

AM

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    aplpa this wont answere your question. But have you seen a chiropractor for your back?

I had a herniated disc. Fortunaly I could fix it within only 4 months but it was the worst pain I have ever had in my life so I feel your pain bro. Sux not to be able to sit for more then 5 minutes without the burning sensation.

what did you do? i had thought about going for traction and possibly seeing a chiro, but i didnt figure that would really fix the problem, maybe alleviate some of the symptoms for awhile...but i want to be active, and i figure that i could probably get by okay with some conservative treatment, but i'd likely have to go in every time i pushed the envelope physically...

At first I did everything my physical therapist and doc told me. Avoided everything painfull didnt work back ect and it got WAY worse. So I said screw this and started to do everything that did hurt. I couldnt bend over more then so I could touch my knees so I wanted to get back my range of motion so I could touch toes. I started doing straight legged deadlifts forcing myself down a bit more ever week along with alot of ab work. The pain doing those exercises was horrendous worst I have ever feelt but the injury got better and better. When I could touch my toes again I was pretty much pain free in daily life and 1-2 months after that I had no pain at all anymore.

I guess it was risky as hell doing this. Never went to a chiro since I couldnt afford it. But they sure can fix problems not only alleviate symptoms. Give it a shot before surgery. Try EVERYTHING POSSIBLE before surgery. When surgery is done it can never be undone so before you take that step make sure you have exhausted every possibility in existance. Surgery can permanetly **** things upp...

any suggestions on the diet part? i mean, if i'm not going to be working out, AT ALL, what's a good macro ratio you think? and should i keep carbs outta my last two meals of the day...any input is appreciated.

Keeping protein high would still be good to avoid catabolism and keep metabolism high.
    Maby 50-60% of kcal from protein? carbs pretty low since you wont need any carbs when not performing any physical activity. But carbs is very anticatabolic so it would be a toss upp betwen keeping gains in the best way but add fat or losing a bit without fattening upp.

But no carbs in the 2 last meals is probably smart I recon.

anyone else???

Thread Information