xenithon is offline Member

Do you count fibrous veges toward carbs?

Hiya all,

I am on a medium - low carb diet. I get most of my starchy foods in early in the day eg. yam, sweet potato, brown rice, oats etc. In my later meals, I eat tonnes of fibrous veges like brocolli, cauliflower, patty pans, baby carrots, peppers etc. Just wanted to know if you people count those typa carbs in your total daily intake. i read many times that you dont have to cause they are like 'free foods', and I eat quite a lot to keep me full (comes to around 20g carbs). having that 1-2 times a day is an extra 20-40g carbs, so should that be counted?

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Not necessary...

The carbs in most veggies are negligent, so if they're adding, as you noted, 20 gm. of additional carbs, they're negligent.

Keep in mind, however, that each gram of carbohydrates equals 4 calories, so you are adding 80 calories to your total intake. If they are non-starch carbs, it should not be a problem. (The carbs in some, but not all, veggies are simple sugars as opposed to complex carbs. Simple sugars are quick in, quick out. Complex carbs - pasta, rice, potatoes, legumes, etc. - turn into sugar more slowly and are with you longer.)

There are some who advise staying away from carrots, but I am not one of them. The people who advise that are usually into the so-called "low-glycemic" diets, many of which tend to be hype. (So, as far as I'm concerned, veg out on baby carrots all you want - just don't scoop them in onion dip.)

In short, enjoy the veggies - as much as you want. In fact, the more fiber, the better. People (regardless of their age) should get 25-30 grams of fiber per day, and most diets are woefully inadequate when it comes to fiber.

By the way, here in the U.S., both fiber and sugar are listed under the carbohydrates section of nutritional panels on food packages. However, the fiber is not counted toward the total carb count, although the sugar is counted. (The difference between the calories from sugar and the total carbs indicates the calories from complex carbs.)

By the way, xenithon, what are patty pans? Is this a South African or Israeli thingey? (I've never heard the term here in the States.)

xenithon is offline Member
    hmm, I think (after some research) its called scallop squash in many places around the world. come to think of it many veges have different names around the world - kinda confusing haha

http://www.gardenguides.com/seedcata...typanblend.htm

there's some info + pics.

i actually dont have too many carrots - baby carrots are used as a nibble if i get hungry. things like those other fibrous, non-carby vegetables are what I have in quantities with my afternoon/evening protein meals (most have like 3-4g carbs /100).

btw. adding things up, i wanted to know if you can have too much fibre?? I have oats, sometimes twice, very high fibre cereals, tons of veges etc. must be something like 60-70g fibre!

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Fiber, Fiber, and more FIBER. Insufficiant fiber will get you into some serious trouble on the toilet when your consuming as much protien as we do. I even take a fiber dosage of Citrucil(spelling) on top of the 40-60g I get a day.

VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member
    If my memory serves me correct, a high fiber diet will not only give a visit from Hanky the Christmas Poo (that goes out to all you South Park park fans), but it is also linked to promoting a heathy prostate and colon. Fiber is necessary for proper bowel movements. But I would not count them as carbs. Again, if my memory serves me correct, fiber is not digested, it is just passed through (our stomachs can not break it down). Now cows on the other hand, those lucky bastards have 8 stomachs and can turn some bland grass into the nector of the Gods: Milk. At any rate, veggies are real good at fighting off cancer and they have many minerals and vitamans, but I do not count them as part of my carb intake.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    TNT is right witht he veg and fruit I never include them in my diet list I always look at them as empty cals.

As for the fibre I agree witht he guys get plenty of it otherwise you will be having a seperate workout everytime you visit the toilet!

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Fruit??? Come on Billy Boy...sugar city...you can't tell me they are empty cals.. You know better than that.

You're just finding a way to 'cheat' without actually cheating.

Hey man, If no one sees me eat it, it doesn't count. lol

As for fibrous veggies, they're nothing.

Thread Information