z28man is offline Junior Member

Dairy protein mixed w/ whey for slower absorption?

Got a question for you protein gurus. I started a office job about 3 months ago right out of college, leaving much less time for real food meals and cardio/workouts. Right now Im doing the best I can as my job keeps me extremely busy. Although, I am able to get in about 3-4 meals at work. The only problem is the majority of them are mostly whey for protein. What I usually do though is eat a low-fat string cheese stick (9 grams protein but 2 grams sat fat) and about 30-40 grams whey along with a reasonably healthy kashi granola bar. I'll do that a few times at work. For breakfast I'll have some Uncle Sams cereal with 1 cup milk fat-free milk (8 grams protein) and 30-40 grams whey, and right before bed I'll have 6 oz low-fat cottage (20 grams protein) cheese and 30 grams whey. The other meals I do my best to include no whey powder except my PWO shake. I guess Im just asking if the 8-20 grams of protein I get from these dairy based foods enough to substantially slow the digestion of the whey powder taken at the same time? I used to mix healthy fats and oils with my whey to try to slow the absorption but upon further research that doesnt work to well either. Any ideas on this?

LUKA is offline Junior Member
    What year is Your Z28 ?

IronFreakX is offline Banned

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by z28man
    Got a question for you protein gurus. I started a office job about 3 months ago right out of college, leaving much less time for real food meals and cardio/workouts. Right now Im doing the best I can as my job keeps me extremely busy. Although, I am able to get in about 3-4 meals at work. The only problem is the majority of them are mostly whey for protein. What I usually do though is eat a low-fat string cheese stick (9 grams protein but 2 grams sat fat) and about 30-40 grams whey along with a reasonably healthy kashi granola bar. I'll do that a few times at work. For breakfast I'll have some Uncle Sams cereal with 1 cup milk fat-free milk (8 grams protein) and 30-40 grams whey, and right before bed I'll have 6 oz low-fat cottage (20 grams protein) cheese and 30 grams whey. The other meals I do my best to include no whey powder except my PWO shake. I guess Im just asking if the 8-20 grams of protein I get from these dairy based foods enough to substantially slow the digestion of the whey powder taken at the same time? I used to mix healthy fats and oils with my whey to try to slow the absorption but upon further research that doesnt work to well either. Any ideas on this?
    Read the CUTTING sticky

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Maby the 8-20grams of slow acting proteins wont slow dow the whey that much but it will give a continous supply of aminoacids. I wouldnt worry to much about how fast acting a protein is to be honest. Just eat often and that wont be a issue.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    adding fibers will probably slow it down also. chew down a tabelspoon of flax seeds before drinking the shake. A good way to keep the stomach healthy to.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    What further research did you do that told you Healthy Oils with your Whey is not a good choice???

z28man is offline Junior Member
    My z28 is a 1997 30th anniversery edition. White w/ orange stripes (not stock).

I read the cutting sticky long ago, and although most milk proteins do have refined sugars, Im not really trying to get extremely ripped. As I said, just trying to do the best I can to keep up with my bodybuilding lifestyle. Dont have time to sit for 10-15 minutes every couple hours cutting up steaks, chicken breast, fish, etc.

[QUOTE=Giantz11]What further research did you do that told you Healthy Oils with your Whey is not a good choice???[/QUOte

This is the general consensus Ive seen as of late, especially at AMminds.com, the guy BOBO over there really knows his stuff with nutrition. Something about liquid fats/oils do little for slowing the absorption. The fats ofcourse will take longer to be digested than the whey, but no longer for the whey. It was said that solid fats could have some slowing of protein absorption but not as good as combining slow digesting proteins with fast.

I have a good amount of fiber every meal, so hopefully that's helping.

I definetly eat at least every 2-3 hours as Id get hypoglycemic if I waited any longer.

[QUOTE=z28man]My z28 is a 1997 30th anniversery edition. White w/ orange stripes (not stock).

I read the cutting sticky long ago, and although most milk proteins do have refined sugars, Im not really trying to get extremely ripped. As I said, just trying to do the best I can to keep up with my bodybuilding lifestyle. Dont have time to sit for 10-15 minutes every couple hours cutting up steaks, chicken breast, fish, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    What further research did you do that told you Healthy Oils with your Whey is not a good choice???[/QUOte

This is the general consensus Ive seen as of late, especially at AMminds.com, the guy BOBO over there really knows his stuff with nutrition. Something about liquid fats/oils do little for slowing the absorption. The fats ofcourse will take longer to be digested than the whey, but no longer for the whey. It was said that solid fats could have some slowing of protein absorption but not as good as combining slow digesting proteins with fast.

I have a good amount of fiber every meal, so hopefully that's helping.

I definetly eat at least every 2-3 hours as Id get hypoglycemic if I waited any longer.
    I tried amminds.com...nothing came up
    tried aminds.com...said in some wierd language that site is under construction...
    searched for BOBO on google this is wut i got...

BOBO is one huge muthafvcka.....
    just messin with ya...got a valid link?

AnabolicMinds.com....And yes Bobo does know his shit real well.

I just read Bobo's comments on the matter, and well I certainly wouldn't argue with the man. So i guess fat may not slow the digestion of the Protein however it will provide your body with an alternate energy source that will allow you to utlize the protein for other functions i.e. tissue repair etc...

Here's the link to that particular thread:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25399

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    AnabolicMinds.com....And yes Bobo does know his shit real well.
    Checked it out...yeah looks like he does....

Thread Information