SexyKitty is offline Female Vet

Starting a Cutting Diet - Expert Advise Needed

This monday I will be starting a cutting diet. As some of you may have read in my looooong post last week, I'm looking to reach my training goal in celebration of my upcoming 30th birthday.

This is the first time I have put together a proper cutting diet for myself. This is a rough sketch (amounts of food has not been put in yet). Please take a look at my starting point, my goal and what I plan on doing to get there. I am looking for advice from the true diet experts, male or female, on my macronutrients, the timing of my meals, any supplementation that I may be missing and anything else I may have missed. I also have a few questions at the end. Your advice will be much appreciated.

Hight 5'3, Weight 135lbs. Goal – Lose 15lbs-20lbs for an end weight of 115-120lbs

Caloric Intake – 1700calories/day to start will taper down to 1500 calories/day and then 1200 if necessary

7:00am: 45-60 minutes of cardio on an empty stomach (usually use the elliptical machine) 5-6 days a week

8:30am: Meal 1 (30 minutes after morning cardio)
    Protein shake with 1 scoop protein (all the whey) mixed in crystal light (3 EFA pills)

11:00am Meal 2
    Scrambled Egg Whites (3 egg whites, 1 whole egg), 1/2 cup oatmeal

2:00pm Meal 3:
    1 can of tuna with full fat mayo on a whole wheat pita. Veggies (Cucumbers and Peppers raw)

4:00pm Workout:
    Weights (3-4 times a week) or Hot Yoga (2-3 times a week) (Keep in mind I am no longer trying to build muscle mass, just maintain)

6:00pm Meal 4:

8:00pm Meal 5:
    Chicken Breast or Flank Steak or Grilled Fish and Veggies (brocolli or spinach or asparagus)

10:00pm Meal 6 (on lifting days only):
    Protein/Fat meal but not sure what yet - suggestions?

A Few Additional Questions:

1. Can the oatmeal be the instant plain kind (without sugar) or does it have to be regular oats.
    2. Can the oatmeal be replaced with bran instead?
    3. Where could almonds or peanut butter fit into this diet?
    4. What condiments are acceptable? (I know salsa is okay, how about hot sauce?)
    5. Is fat free, sugar free yogourt okay on occasion? I know dairy products are not good for cutting but it's good for calcium? Just wondering.
    6. Is a cheat DAY once a week acceptable or should I just have a cheat MEAL?

OK, I think thats it for now. Looking forward to your comments.
    Last edited by SexyKitty; 07-14-2005 at 04:12 PM.

Maraxus is offline Banned
    Meal Number 6 can be a protein shake and some almonds, or a shake w/ flax.

1. Can the oatmeal be the instant plain kind (without sugar) or does it have to be regular oats. I prefer regular Oats
    2. Can the oatmeal be replaced with bran instead?yes
    3. Where could almonds or peanut butter fit into this diet?Your pro/fat meals, including number 6
    4. What condiments are acceptable? (I know salsa is okay, how about hot sauce?)Hot sauce is fine, mustard is fine, becareful with bbq and ketchup, lots of sugar, low carb ketchup is ok but it tastes like shit
    5. Is fat free, sugar free yogourt okay on occasion? I know dairy products are not good for cutting but it's good for calcium? Just wondering. You will get more calcium from broccoli, id cut out the yogurt IMO
    6. Is a cheat DAY once a week acceptable or should I just have a cheat MEAL?All depends on how you feel, you can either have a day or just 1 meal, sometimes I take a day, sometimes just 1 meal, sometimes I just skip the cheat meal
    Good luck

IronFreakX is offline Banned

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SexyKitty
    This monday I will be starting a cutting diet. As some of you may have read in my looooong post last week, I'm looking to reach my training goal in celebration of my upcoming 30th birthday.

This is the first time I have put together a proper cutting diet for myself. This is a rough sketch (amounts of food has not been put in yet). Please take a look at my starting point, my goal and what I plan on doing to get there. I am looking for advice from the true diet experts, male or female, on my macronutrients, the timing of my meals, any supplementation that I may be missing and anything else I may have missed. I also have a few questions at the end. Your advice will be much appreciated.

Hight 5'3, Weight 135lbs. Goal – Lose 15lbs-20lbs for an end weight of 115-120lbs

Caloric Intake – 1700calories/day to start will taper down to 1500 calories/day and then 1200 if necessary

7:00am: 45-60 minutes of cardio on an empty stomach (usually use the elliptical machine) 5-6 days a week
    MAKE SURE ITS 65-75% OF UR MHR
    8:30am: Meal 1 (30 minutes after morning cardio)
    Protein shake with 1 scoop protein (all the whey) mixed in crystal light (3 EFA pills)

SUSBSTITUTE FOR REAL FOOD...FOR THE ADDED THERMOGENIC EFFECT
    11:00am Meal 2
    Scrambled Egg Whites (3 egg whites, 1 whole egg), 1/2 cup oatmeal
    OATMEAL ALREADY HAS FAT...DONT MIX EM TOGETHER...A GOOD IDEA IS NOT TO OVER 5GRAMS FAR IN PRO/CARB MEAL
    2:00pm Meal 3:
    1 can of tuna with full fat mayo on a whole wheat pita. Veggies (Cucumbers and Peppers raw)

DONT MIX CARBS AND FATS...ESP WHEN CUTTING...AND DONT MIX STUFF LIKE PITA BREAD...DONT EAT COLORED PEPPERS

Weights (3-4 times a week) or Hot Yoga (2-3 times a week) (Keep in mind I am no longer trying to build muscle mass, just maintain)

6:00pm Meal 4:

8:00pm Meal 5:
    Chicken Breast or Flank Steak or Grilled Fish and Veggies (brocolli or spinach or asparagus)

NE LEAN MEAT WITH ALMOST NO FAT...AND SOME CARBS....THIS IS PPWO MEAL....HAVE THIS MEAL WHEN THE PWO SHAKE EFFECT GOES AWAY...
    10:00pm Meal 6 (on lifting days only):
    Protein/Fat meal but not sure what yet - suggestions?

LEAN STEAK..WITH EFAS...OR MONOSATURATED FATS...LIKE OLIVE OIL...WHICH EVER U DIDNT HAVE...
    A Few Additional Questions:

1. Can the oatmeal be the instant plain kind (without sugar) or does it have to be regular oats.NOPE..AND EVEN THE 100% ROLLED OATS...HAVE A MEDIUM GI OR BORDERING ON HIGH
    2. Can the oatmeal be replaced with bran instead? DUNNO POST THE INGREDIENTS
    3. Where could almonds or peanut butter fit into this diet? IN A PRO/FAT MEAL
    4. What condiments are acceptable? (I know salsa is okay, how about hot sauce?)YEAH JUST MAKE SURE IT DOESNT HAVE CORN SYRUP , DEX , SUGAR ,TOO MUCH SODIUM..etc...
    5. Is fat free, sugar free yogourt okay on occasion? I know dairy products are not good for cutting but it's good for calcium? Just wondering.
    DUNNO POST THE INGREDIENTS AND NURTRION INFO...BTW THE STUDIES THAT WERE DONE ON CALCIUM RELATED FAT LOSS...THE PEOPLE WERE USING SUPPLEMENTAL CALCIUM NOT FROM DAIRY OR FOODS FOR MOST OF THEIR INTAKE
    6. Is a cheat DAY once a week acceptable or should I just have a cheat MEAL?
    I HAVE A CRAP CHEAT ONCE EVERY3-8 WEEKS(HAVENT HAD 1 IN A MONTH NOW...)
    AND A CLEAN CHEAT ONCE A WEEK...WHICH TRANSLATES INTO INCREASING CALORIES...FROM UR ORIGINAL DIET...WHICH WILL RESULKT IN THE SAME GOAL OF THE CRAP CHEAT....THE CRAP CHEAT IS ONLY FOR SANITY...WHICH I DONT NEED NEMORE
    OK, I think thats it for now. Looking forward to your comments.
    CAPS....
    those are off the top of my head..@ 2am
    ill post the full version 2morrow...btw u got a good starting base for ur diet...l8r...

Ok, everything above made sense except for one thing I dont get - Why no coloured peppers???

I'll make a few adjustments and re-post.

Thanks guys

Maraxus is offline Banned
    Sugar content.

Ok, made some adjustments and I think this looks a bit better...but why do I still feel like something is missing?

8:30am: Meal 1 (Pro/Fat, 30 minutes after morning cardio)

11:00am Meal 2 (Pro/Carbs)
    Scrambled Egg Whites (4 egg whites, 1 whole egg), 1/2 cup bran buds (this is 47 on the GI, lower than oats, and I have no time to cook oats)

2:00pm Meal 3 (Pro/Fat)
    1 can of tuna with olive oil and lemon juice. 20 Almonds or 2 tbs Peanut Butter

6:00pm Meal 4 (PWO)
    PWO Nutrition (Same protein shake as before but with dextrose added, 60g)

8:00pm Meal 5 (Pro/Carbs)
    Chicken Breast or Flank Steak or Grilled Fish, Veggies (broccoli/spinach/asparagus, green veggies only) and 1/2 yam OR 1/2 cup brown rice

10:00pm Meal 6 (Pro/Fat):
    Protein drink with EFA pills

I'm going to try to alternate my cheat weeks, ie. clean cheats with crap cheats. I'll have to play this by ear depending on how I feel.
    Last edited by SexyKitty; 07-14-2005 at 09:11 PM.

Bump for more feedback

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Ok, made some adjustments and I think this looks a bit better...but why do I still feel like something is missing?

Scrambled Egg Whites (4 egg whites, 1 whole egg), 1/2 cup bran buds (this is 47 on the GI, lower than oats, and I have no time to cook oats)

Chicken Breast or Flank Steak or Grilled Fish, Veggies (broccoli/spinach/asparagus, green veggies only) and 1/2 yam OR 1/2 cup brown rice

I'm going to try to alternate my cheat weeks, ie. clean cheats with crap cheats. I'll have to play this by ear depending on how I feel.
    Overall looks pretty solid, now ya can always change what ya eat for your meals keeping your macro's the same.

Great! I'm actually excited to be starting this diet. I say that now but I'm sure if you ask me a month from now I'm gonna be hating it. Thanks for all the feedback

SK.

Cool

IF U DONT HAVE TIME..KOOL...BUT IF U DO SUBSTITUTE FOR "REAL FOOD"..

HAVE A TBS OF VINEGAR....WITH THIS...

-COTTAGE CHEESE &OLIVE OIL
    -LOW FAT MEAT..WITH MONO-FATS....AND VEGGIES

IF U HAVE TIME...
    -I think u need more fiber in there
    -glutamine..pre cardio
    -and 5grams b4 bed or in Pwo shake..
    -a good multi
    -Vit C--2-5 grams
    -vit E--200 iu
    -B-12 IM..once a week
    -clen or Eca(if u choose to do this...post the cycle and dosage in this same thread)
    check out my post in another thread
    3 weeks to go, no more fvcking around

Dont use the harris-formula to determine ur calorie intake which can be 15-30% off..use smth called Nitrostix..or have ur oxygen cycle measured....

I think thats it......
    good luck....

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    -glutamine..pre cardio
    Wouldn't suggest this, you'll just use it as energy via gluconeogenesis.

the cardio she will be doing wont be anaerobic...

the glycolytic pathway...like the atp/cp..pathway..is anaerobic...once you have depelted atp/cp..the body must breakdown carbohydrates to produce more atp...this process uses either glycogen or glucose...to convert adp back into atp...which results in a waste product.....lactic acid
    lactic acid builds up more quickly than it can be flushed out...which causes muscular fatigue...so you have to stop..or slow down untill..lactic acid is removed...it is then converted to lactate which is less toxic...to be used as an energy substrate...or to produce more glucose...(gluconeogenesis)

but she wont be doing anaerobic activity...so she wont be using...the glycolytic pathway......

Or will she?? Im kinda new to the small details of metabolism ....

Any ingested fuel source will be used before the body turns to available blood glucose which will then turn to FFA's. Even during periods of aerobic exercise. Glutamine is an AA which will be treated as a fuel source. Thats why I say just skip it before cardio.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Any ingested fuel source will be used before the body turns to available blood glucose which will then turn to FFA's. Even during periods of aerobic exercise. Glutamine is an AA which will be treated as a fuel source. Thats why I say just skip it before cardio.
    I dont agree....and arguing is a waste since none of us will change our minds after we're done.....well @least i wont....
    peace...

Thanks guys for you're help. I'll investigate the glutamine issue and decide what I'm going to do about that.

As for the clen /eca, I've ran clen, several cycles and had good results, for the past year so I'm okay there. I'm going to run it again this time around I just havnt decided if it will be 2 weeks on/2 off like I did before, or 10 straight weeks with Benadryl. Honestly, the last time I ran clen I was experiencing quite a bit of chest pain so I'm still struggling as to what I'm going to do. I'd like to find some acetyl-l-carnitine for some cardio protection but have been told I may not be able to get it in canada.

I also ran T3 in the past but felt like shitt! I may do it again but cytomel is pretty pricey around here so we'll see.

Perhaps this will help:

Absorption and metabolic effects of enterally administered glutamine in humans
    P. Dechelotte, D. Darmaun, M. Rongier, B. Hecketsweiler, O. Rigal and J. F. Desjeux
    Institut Nationale de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale Unite 290, Hopital Saint-Lazare, Paris, France.

To assess absorption and metabolic effects of enterally delivered glutamine, a total of 10 healthy subjects received perfusions of natural L-glutamine at graded infusion rates (ranging from 0 to 126 mmol/h; n = 2-8 subjects at each rate) along with a nonabsorbable marker (polyethylene glycol) through a double-lumen nasojejunal tube. Perfusions were administered after an overnight fast during three consecutive 1- or 2.5-h periods and in a randomized order. In eight subjects, continuous intravenous infusion of D-[6,6-2H2]glucose, L-[1-13C]leucine, and L-[15N]alanine was simultaneously performed. Glutamine was nearly quantitatively absorbed over the 30-cm study segment; estimated Km and Vmax of glutamine absorption were 2.48 and 2.32 mmol/min over the 30-cm study segment. Enteral glutamine administration induced 1) a dose-dependent increase in plasma glutamine level; 2) a rise in the plasma level and appearance rate (Ra) of alanine (from 191 +/- 42 to 213 +/- 51 mumols.kg-1.h-1, P less than 0.05, for 0 and 46.8-mmol/h glutamine infusion rates, respectively) and in plasma levels of glutamate, citrulline, aspartate, and urea; 3) a decline in plasma free fatty acid and glycerol levels; and 4) no change in leucine or glucose Ra. We conclude that glutamine is efficiently absorbed by human jejunum in vivo and may directly inhibit lipolysis, whereas it neither affects proteolysis nor glucose production in healthy postabsorptive humans.

bigdogc is offline Associate Member

Scrambled Egg Whites (4 egg whites, 1 whole egg), 1/2 cup bran buds (this is 47 on the GI, lower than oats, and I have no time to cook oats)[b] get rid of the whole egg and have 8 egg whites

at 131lbs you may not even need 60g, cut carbs down to 45 if you can
    if this is a carb meal stay away from the fatty meats, steak/salmon
    Protein drink with EFA pills make sure to take the cassein protein

anyway, just my 2cents.. as for supplements, 5g of glutamine whether you take it or not won't change the outlook of your goals much at all. running clen /t3 combo will do wonders, but personally i find taking ECA stack is much simpler. good luck and drink plenty of water !!

Switch to Albuterol which is very similar to clen with out the sides such as cardic tissue death! PM me if you want more info.

bump for more opinions...ill tell ya bout ur study 2morrow....

I've also decided to take advice and cut out the 1 whole egg from my egg whites, will have 6 egg whites instead. Can I add salsa to this for taste? I'm also going to cut out the starch from Meal5, too close to bedtime.

I def need more veggies but can I add veggies to a Pro/Fat meal?? Would that be considered mixing fats and carbs even though veggies are not starchy carbs? Sorry for the stupid question, just trying to find a good spot for extra veggies. I might chop some asparagus and mushroom up and add it to the egg whites as an alternative.

I've also decided to take advice and cut out the 1 whole egg from my egg whites, will have 6 egg whites instead. Can I add salsa to this for taste? I'm also going to cut out the starch from Meal5, too close to bedtime.

I def need more veggies but can I add veggies to a Pro/Fat meal?? Would that be considered mixing fats and carbs even though veggies are not starchy carbs? Sorry for the stupid question, just trying to find a good spot for extra veggies. I might chop some asparagus and mushroom up and add it to the egg whites as an alternative.
    yeah add wutever u want as long as it doesnt have Dex , corn syrup , too much sodium , if ur not sure bout smth post the ING here....

yeah u can add veggies to a pro/fat meal....not corn,peas , carrots , colored veggies , well not all of them...iif ur not sure check them on the GI site...the one with the syndey univ...the other sites are not reliable....

Mushrooms are kool...I use them alot...

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I hope no one has mentioned these things before but here is what I think.

I would rather take a combination of flax and olive oil instead of the EFA pills if you can stomach it. Its cheaper and besides the EFA's it gives alot of fats thats not essential but still important.

If you notice your weight loss stalls then ditch the bran buds and do this meal as a pro/fat meal. I would drink some vinegar and add a mouthfull of seeds before the meal.

This one looks good. You migth toss in a avacado sometimes instead of almonds just to keep things changing.

If weight loss stalls you might cut down on dextrose a bit. But as a last resort.

Add some sprouts just because of the micro content.

Looks good. Let us know how your weightloss progresses. What would be the macro content of this diet by the way?

ohh and add a good multivitamin in case your not doing it. Alot of the vitamins are crucial for fatty acid metabolism and beeing deficient in any of them might lead to less fat loss. Check my bulking post and follow those vitamin/mineral recomendations.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    I hope no one has mentioned these things before but here is what I think.

Looks good. Let us know how your weightloss progresses. What would be the macro content of this diet by the way?
    OK...I just have a few more questions then. Sorry for all the ???, i just want to make sure i do this RIGHT this time around.

1) I'll probably alternate bw EFA pills and actual oils, depending on what I have. I do hate the oils but I will MAN UP and take it. What about Udo's oil as an alternative to flax/olive oil combo?

2) If I Make Meal 2 a pro/fat meal instead of a pro/carb meal will I be getting enough carbs in my diet for fat burning and enough fibre for keeping the ol bowels in check? As an alternative what if I do alternate days, e.g day 1 meal 2 will be pro/carb, day 2 - meal 2 will be pro/fat. I will test it out and see how it goes?

3) Any views on if I lose the dextrose all together? I dont want to risk losing more muscle mass but more inportantly I dont want to inhibit fat loss iether.

Thanks again. This is ALMOST perfect. I'm going to re-write it, add in my clen /T3 cycle and all supplementation.

Looks like tomorrow is going to be a BIG grocery shopping day. I think I'll also have to get one of those weekly pill counters to keep track of all the supplements. If I get the courage I will also post my BEFORE pics.....but no flaming alowed

Thanks to all of you for the help and suggestions.

SK

OK...I just have a few more questions then. Sorry for all the ???, i just want to make sure i do this RIGHT this time around.

1) I'll probably alternate bw EFA pills and actual oils, depending on what I have. I do hate the oils but I will MAN UP and take it. What about Udo's oil as an alternative to flax/olive oil combo?

2) If I Make Meal 2 a pro/fat meal instead of a pro/carb meal will I be getting enough carbs in my diet for fat burning and enough fibre for keeping the ol bowels in check? As an alternative what if I do alternate days, e.g day 1 meal 2 will be pro/carb, day 2 - meal 2 will be pro/fat. I will test it out and see how it goes?

3) Any views on if I lose the dextrose all together? I dont want to risk losing more muscle mass but more inportantly I dont want to inhibit fat loss iether.

Thanks again. This is ALMOST perfect. I'm going to re-write it, add in my clen /T3 cycle and all supplementation.

Looks like tomorrow is going to be a BIG grocery shopping day. I think I'll also have to get one of those weekly pill counters to keep track of all the supplements. If I get the courage I will also post my BEFORE pics.....but no flaming alowed

Thanks to all of you for the help and suggestions.

SK
    1. Udo's is a greay chooise but horribly expensive. If you can afford it then go for it A cheaper and just as good alternative would be hemp oil. It has naturaly almost the perfect combination of fats. But I dont know if you can find it there.

2. The fibers from seeds will keep your stomach going along with the fibers from veggies. Add veggies to each pro/fat meal and seeds as often as you like. My stomach has never been better.
    You can do the pro/carb as meal 2 on workout days and pro/fat as meal 2 on rest days. Thats how I do it now. NO carbs at all on rest days and 3-4 pro/carb meals on workout day. Seems to work for me.
    For fibers every morning I swallow a mouthfull of Psyllium seeds, I follow that upp by chewing a mouthfull of flax seeds. Then I eat my breakfast. During the day I eat 4-5 mouthfulls of flax and I swallow like 2 mouthfulls of psyllium to. So Im getting ALOT of seeds and ALOT of fiber. I try to aim for 100g fibers every day. The lentils on workout days also gives me alot of fibers.

3. Try to run with this diet for a while and se what happens. Give it 4 weeks before making any change. Dropping dextrose would be the absolute last thing to do. The last resort. But how much is neede I dont know. I get 60g dextrose in my pwo shakes and Im around 190ibs. Still gaining strenght.

Hope this diet will give the results your looking for
    Last edited by Kärnfysikern; 07-16-2005 at 10:21 AM.

Thread Information