Thread: Carb intake??

RebelMan is offline Junior Member

Carb intake??

I am 5'9" and weigh 190lbs. I want to lower my bf without losing muscle. I was wonderin around how many grams per day of carb/protein/fat/calories I should be taking in.

I usually run for about 20 minutes a day for 3-4 days and lift 5 days a week, but may be dropping to 3 days a week.

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Lowering bf without losing muscle is a VERY tricky thing to do. You are running a very fine line of either risking catabolism, or gaining fat. It's hard to paly it perfect.
    What I suggest is a carb rotation...it's what I am doing now, and It's working awesome. PM me, or I can post it if anyone else is interested. It's in another thread, but a completely diff. forum, so you'd probably'd never find it.

xenithon is offline Member
    bump for that post PaPaPumP. is that the one you were talking about before to do with cycling carbs throughout the day, and then switching to carbs only pre/postworkout??

J-Dogg is offline Anabolic Member
    What a lot of peolle will do is only eat carbs in the mid day.

If you got the ambition for it.....do what I'm doing now.

Run....2 times a day.

Run about 1-2 hours after your last meal at night, then run again in the morning.

This burns up all the carbs in your body before you go to bed, then burns only fat in the morning run.

Works pretty good.

Awesome J dogg. I find running too catabolic, and hard on my joints...when I get done running, I feel weak and small...wait....I am weak and small...

Xen: Here ya go

For about a month I was on a moderate carb diet , just upped some cardio. I'm talking 250-300 carb range. The next month I switched to post workout carbs only, with veggies and protein, with moderate fat thruout the day. Veggies play a BIG key, in sustaining the 'full' feeling. Every 10 days that month I did a carb up, so only 3 times...I thought I was losing too much size, so this final 6 weeks, im doing it like this. Monday-Wed: 50g of carbs from rolled oats, barley, rye, and wheat cereal in the first two meals, healthy fats and protein (preworkout meal), postworkout, 50g simple sugars with whey, the next meals are simply veggies and protein. Thursday is 25 carbs with two first meals, same with pre, post and later evening meals. Friday is 0 carbs, only veggies and healthy fats, and protein all day. Saturday, CARB UP LIKE A MO'fucker day...which is also leg day . I eat about 400-500 carbs, drop my protein intake to about 1.5g or so per lb. Fats also drop. Carbs are all from that cereal mixture, wild rice, and sweet potatoes. Post workout is my "cheat meal" for the week, I eat anything that is sugary, and fat free, and LOTS OF IT. Bout 100g worth. With 30-40g whey.

Cardio has been basically how my weight is, if im low...ill up some cals, and drop the cardio, if im heavy...up some cardio, and keep cals constant. That's the jist. Hope that helped.

jbrand is offline Member
    This is a nice little spin of a CKD without the bad breath or irribility of ketosis. sounds very interesting I think i'll give it a try.

BTW...sunday is my lazy day...so I just keeps carbs minimal.

J...seriously bro, if you have time, run the 3 month deal....or just skip right to the good stuff.

Project X is offline New Member
    goto
    http://www.ast-ss.com/asp/weight.asp
    find out calorie requirements as needed. Belive it or not this is actually pretty accurate for calories at least.
    start cardio 1/2 hour a 5-6 day in the mornning use ECA stack 3 times a day

use ratio at 45% -50 % protein 30-35% carbs 15-20% fat

do this for a 2 weeks at end of 2 weeks reasses. Here is mistake people make. instead of dropping calories, increase the cardio. I started diet at 4300 calories cardio at 20 minutes 4 times a week
    220 at 7.5 % i'm now at 3800 caloires cardio 6 times a day 45 minutes and at 218 at 5.5 % this change has occured in less then 6 weeks. My calories have dropped slighly from start but using cardio to offset them so you are burning fat and forcing calories to be absorped. Best of both worlds. I sit on my ass all day day and still burn fat. Not to many people can do this. you have to program your body to it takes about 4-6 weeks to reprogram body

divide caloric intake by 6 meals and get up in midle of night and have protein shake with nuts then go back to bed.
    glutemine is a must before morning cardio 5 grams and must eat 30 minutes later a good solid breafast. Keep ever thing balance and you will be better off and easier to calibrate. its calories in vs calories burned so if you are eating maintence the cardio will burn the fat and the caloric intake and weight traini will maintain your lean muscle mass. The point of no return is 45 minutes of cardio any thing over that you may be risking muscle loss. Moral is this do more cardio to offsett calories you take it

Hope this helps

You're at 5.5???! Why the hell aren't you stepping on stange brother. Some guys barely get to 6% before they are ready contest ready. Dude, sign up for a show.

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by Project X
    goto
    http://www.ast-ss.com/asp/weight.asp
    find out calorie requirements as needed. Belive it or not this is actually pretty accurate for calories at least.
    start cardio 1/2 hour a 5-6 day in the mornning use ECA stack 3 times a day

use ratio at 45% -50 % protein 30-35% carbs 15-20% fat

do this for a 2 weeks at end of 2 weeks reasses. Here is mistake people make. instead of dropping calories, increase the cardio. I started diet at 4300 calories cardio at 20 minutes 4 times a week
    220 at 7.5 % i'm now at 3800 caloires cardio 6 times a day 45 minutes and at 218 at 5.5 % this change has occured in less then 6 weeks. My calories have dropped slighly from start but using cardio to offset them so you are burning fat and forcing calories to be absorped. Best of both worlds. I sit on my ass all day day and still burn fat. Not to many people can do this. you have to program your body to it takes about 4-6 weeks to reprogram body

divide caloric intake by 6 meals and get up in midle of night and have protein shake with nuts then go back to bed.
    glutemine is a must before morning cardio 5 grams and must eat 30 minutes later a good solid breafast. Keep ever thing balance and you will be better off and easier to calibrate. its calories in vs calories burned so if you are eating maintence the cardio will burn the fat and the caloric intake and weight traini will maintain your lean muscle mass. The point of no return is 45 minutes of cardio any thing over that you may be risking muscle loss. Moral is this do more cardio to offsett calories you take it

Hope this helps
    1) getting up in the middle of the night is not worth it IMO, why ruin potential REM 3 sleep? just eat a meal before bed and include a good source of mono/polyunsatured fats (ie: flaxseed oil) to slow gastric emptying.

2) maintenance caloric intake + excessive cardio will not maintain LBM, it will in fact be rather catabolic. cardio doesn't burn fat, it burns calories. on that note, if you are eating at a maintenance caloric intake and doing excessive cardio (i consider the above to be excessive from a bodybuilding perspective) it is highly unlikely that current muscle will be perfectly maintained.

3) i am not sure your dispersion of caloric intake is proper for any kind of athlete. yes, protein is an important factor in an athlete's arsenol, but it should be <= carbohydrate intake when glucose is being used for energy. protein does not fuel the brain. the numbers are close enough to be isocaloric (33%) so that might be worth a try.
    Last edited by jbrand; 04-26-2002 at 03:44 PM.

Thread Information