kingmike1974 is offline Junior Member

preworkout carbs- - sluggish feeling

I was used to no preworkout carbs and everything rolled smooth but since I have been eating oats and egg whites 3 hours prior to lifting I feel more sluggish and my lifts have not improved drasticly with the carbs. Are any carbs at all needed through the day (except PWO & PPWO) to keep mass and lose fat? How important is the PPWO meal. I get alot leaner faster with 80 carbs post and none PPWO rather than splitting them up.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    It's good to have solid food in the 2nd pwo meal, yup!

A liquid pwo offering is just simply absorbed and gone too fast, and you should follow it up w/something else. However, if you have found something that works for you, then I'd continue to do what works.

~SC~

kingmike1974 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Swole, would 15-30 grams of a glucose/malto mix with a scoop of whey promote growth rather than the solid complex carbs 2-3 hours prior to the workout?

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by kingmike1974
    Are any carbs at all needed through the day (except PWO & PPWO) to keep mass and lose fat?
    Depends. I dont need any thats for sure.

How important is the PPWO meal. I get alot leaner faster with 80 carbs post and none PPWO rather than splitting them up
    I notice I can manage without carbs in the ppwo meal but I keep it around just to be safe. But I eat very little carbs in my ppwo meal, usualy like 20grams only. Recently I have switched it upp and trippled it. But I never saw any strenght loss from doing only 20grams. Play around with it until you know how your body responds.

Thanks Swole, would 15-30 grams of a glucose/malto mix with a scoop of whey promote growth rather than the solid complex carbs 2-3 hours prior to the workout?
    if you mean the glucose/malto pre workout? Then its useless and pointless. Carbs(if any)pre workout should be as low gi as possible. Peaking insulin with a high gi food pre workout will only hinder fat loss and make you sluggish when the glucose levels drop.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    However if you were to add some fructose in that mix it woudl not be as bad at all. As matter a fact, I use a small amount of Dex and fruit prework out and I have no problems at all. It really depends on the person. Some people will go hypo during their workout if they consume HI GI carbs Pre-WO, I don't....Go figure??

but fructose when cutting is a realy bad idea. Its been proven time and again that it gets converted to fat easier then any other carb source. Blunts lipolysis horribly, lowers leptin levels.

Wouldnt it be better to eat fruit in that case. Sure they to contain fructose, but atleast you dont get empty calories, the vitamins and other micro's in fruits make up for the bad properties of fructose. But fructose alone=crap imho.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Thats what I meant, from a fruit source. If you are on a low carb diet and you are eating carbs consisting of fructose, its ain't makin you fat. You liver should be completly depleted of glycogen. Mine in particular since I don't eat any carbs until my pre-wo shake.

Ok Sorry for the missunderstanding I thought you meant fructose powder

Thread Information