Dally is offline The Dally Lama

whats the most amount of protein per serving?

that you should have in a pwo meal and ppwo meal that would be used of course for muscle building only and not fat storage?

in a 230pound man at about 10% or whatever my avatar looks like.... generally.

what about not pwo or ppwo just say a the first meal in the morning? how much protein is best?

bump. i want to know too.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    I personally think its best to take your daily protein requirement and split it up evenly throughout the day. PWO and PPWO you could use a little less as you are taking in carbs with it, so the carbs will be protein sparing. The main thing is that you eat enough to maintain a positive nitrogen balance, that will correlate into muscle building.

makes sense...

but if we were to say, that you just had a serious leg workout as opposed to a biceps workout...

what amount if any would be beneficial and or wasted. I think simply that your body would be able to uptake more on leg day ... obviously but how much is too much? you mentioned the total amount spread over the day...yeah that seems reasonable but when it comes to pwo and ppwo those are more important meals ...overall than daily meals before and thereafter. I agree with the nitrogen balance, Im just wondering how much at one time is well... too much.

1819 is offline Senior Member
    i always thought, as a rule of thumb, your body can only absorb about 60 or so grams of protein an hour. thats what i always went by. i hope someone can chime in because now im curious as hell.

DerDon is offline Junior Member
    Whats PPWO mean?

Quote Originally Posted by DerDon
    Whats PPWO mean?

thats your second meal after working out... pwo post workout meal ppwo post post workout meal

I agree and have heard that too about 60 grams as being the most the body can assimilate in I think one hour or was it 30 grams a half hour..yes the same BUT, what if you have 30 and then 30minutes later another 30 so as to not overdoo the protein and promote fat storage?

where the hell is dalcowbag or SC or Johan.....

FAK

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I wouldnt say the proteins not used for muscle building is wasted. Its still a "better" energy source then carbs for instance. In this case with better I mean higher thermic effect so less net kcal for the body to utilize. as much as 25% of the kcal of protein gets burnt when the body uses it.

that is the reason I never worried about eating to much protein in a meal. To much wont hurt, to little will. Restricting other macros is always a better approach if cutting.

So I cant answere your question on what the optimal ammount is

I dont think it would be possible to give any amount that is perfect. It depends on how well you digest it and digestion depends heavily on ph in the stomach, on enzymes that depends on micro nutrients and so on. Every little thing makes a impact.

Making sure you get all the micro's needed for protein breakdown will probably mean higher utilisation of the protein you eat I recon. Not something I am well read on unfortunaly.

I btw think protein content in pwo and ppwo should be higher then other meals. The insulin peak will make it more likely for amino acids to be absorbed into the muscles so why not flood the body at those 2 meals with protein just to be safe

Because maximum protein synthesis occurs at its peak 24hr after your workout. So when and how much protein you eat is of lesser importance than your over all protein intake. If you are in a postive nitrogen balance muscle repair will be able to occur. Carbohydrates are the most protein sparing macro, immeadiately stoping proteolysis, that's why i said you could eat less at these times. Not to mention refilling glycogen is the body's primary concern at this point.

well correct me if Im wrong but there is more to anabolism then protein synthesis so one shouldnt stare themself blind on that alone.

My point was when carbohydrates are present protein intake doesn't need to be as high. None of it will go to waste as it can during other parts of the day when carbs are not present.

yeah I se your point and Im not saying that is wrong Im just saying that in order to maximise the use of the natural insulin peak its not a bad idea to flood the body with aminoacids at the same time. We want to maximise shuttling of amino acids into muscle after all right?

if you cut down a bit on protein at pwo meal maby the net sum of amino acids transporter into the muscles will be lowered. Why not increase it to be safe since the excess wont be wasted either.

As long as it fits your macros no big deal.

Thread Information