kingmike1974 is offline Junior Member

Anyone ever cut on a high carb diet?

My buddy just finished a cut eating 256 grams of carbs a day. He ate a cup of oats with 10 egg whites 4 times a day, pwo he had a scoop of whey and some smarties and he had some chicken and spinach before bed. I think he said the calories were like 2400 but damn he is ripped. he is natural and did not lose one bit of muscle. He said he cut carbs down to 100 a day last year and lost about 50/50 muscle and fat. he still did empty stomach cardio and worked out 4 times a week. NO cheat days for 11 weeks. On his i off day of Sunday he ate oats for breakfast and meat and veggies the rest of the day. I am thinking of trying this but still have some reserve becasue I am a 4mer fat a#*

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    what about good fats?

its possble IMO they are low GI carbs so depending on the amouht he may have had just enough for his maintenance carbs or less... and the diet could have been better

how long was the cardio? did he drink booze during this period?

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Its not that uncomon. Many swedish competitive bodybuilders cut on high carbs. A guy I used to workout with ate just insane amounts of carbs while cutting and was the leanest muther****er I have ever seen. But he was some kind of mutant or something cause he ate more kcal when cutting then I do when bulking.

It might be suitable for some people I guess. Some claim its good, some claim its bad. Both sides have supporters.

kingmike1974 is offline Junior Member
    No drinking. He did cardio for 30-40 minutes monday-Friday and was on a push/pull/leg/arm weekly routine. He said that you can either keep glycogen up constantly or take it out weekly and refill it on the weekends. He chose to keep it filled daily and I cannot beleive him. He has veins in his side where I did not know humans had veins. He drinks but he told me that it is not the calorie or carbs, it is the fact that he had drank 5 beers before and got his test levels checked 2 days after and they were lowered from the alcohol.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Just make sure at the end of the day you are in a caloric deficit and make sure the carbs are primarily Low GI to control insulin flucustions and there shouldn't be a problem if there's enough protein.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Up until last year...i use to cut exclusively on a higher carb diet.

I think it's bodytype dependent tho.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    I think it's bodytype dependent tho.
    Def depends on that as well. Carb sensitive etc...

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Most who are overweight have insulin related issues/blood sugar issues, hence them doing far better on a low carb diet. In addition, many can spare even MORE lean mass while dieting by increasing fats and decreasing carbs.

Again, what works for some may not work for others. I do better cutting carbs and upping fats. I keep far more muscle and lose pure bodyfat doing that. If I cut with carbs too high and not enough fats, I become a smaller person w/the same muscle to fat ratio, and that is never a good thing.

~SC~

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    I cut on almost 400carbs a day. My body just loves complex carbs. I usually run a 45/35/20 split of carbs/protein/fat and it seems to be working very well.

-SHRED

Shred...you sound like i used to be...I found that my body changed over the last two years..so i had to drop my carb intake pre-contest.

Man that sux, I hope that doesnt happen to me because I lovvvvvvvvvve carbs. I tried the low carb thing last year because I didnt know any better, but lost a lot of muscle in the process. This year I find that the more increase my carbs the leaner and stronger I get. We'll see what happens though, so far so good.

how many grams of fat are you taking in with your carbs at 400 gr?

here's the exact numbers:

Totals

Fat = 73.25= 660= 20%

Protein = 291= 1164= 35%

Carbohydrates= 384= 1536= 45%

Total Calories= 3360

I've actually increased those numbers since then, but haven't revised it yet. At around 3600 cal now still using the 45/35/20 split.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    I tried the low carb thing last year because I didnt know any better, but lost a lot of muscle in the process.
    If you ever have time to try that again, make sure to re-do and tinker w/your protein amounts and more-so the fat amounts. That is a huge key to keeping lean mass and losing pure fat, it really is. In addition, when/how you do cardio and what you eat during the day and after weight training all support lean mass preservation and fat loss.

~SC~

Interesting...What's your current Bodyweight Shred?

I never drop carbs under 250-300 grams/day. My body seems to get more ripped on this amount rather than less carbs. The biggest thing that helps me out when I'm dieting is watching for 2 main things, and that is sugar intake and saturated fats. The only time I take in sugar is post workout nutrition and OCCASIONALLY a low fat yogurt w/ breakfast with only like 14 grams sugar in it. And I just try to watch out for saturated fat altogether. I may drop carbs low(150grams/day) a week out from my shows this fall, but thats it.

StayinStacked...how low is your fat intake during this time?

I try to keep it around 90 grams/day, all my fat comes from flax oil, almonds, natty pb.

also, my calorie count is around 3000/day on a diet, I am 219 lbs at 10% right now. I may get as low as 2500 but not until 2 weeks out.

sweeet...care to post an example of a typical day's eating for us here?

no prob, this is my diet to a T.

breakfast- 6 egg whites, 1 whole egg scrambled with Texas Petes hot sauce.
    1 bowl oatmeal
    1 lowfat vanilla yogurt
    cigarette(1 a day, only after breakfast, dont ask just gives me something to look forward to)

meal 2- 1 serving of almonds, 1/2 lb chicken breast

lunch- 1/2 lb chicken breast, 2 servings of brown rice

meal 4- 1/2 lb chicken breast, 2 servings natty pb

meal 5(preworkout)- 6 egg whites, 1 whole egg scrambled
    1 bowl oatmeal

workout

meal 6(pwo) whey and dextrose shake, 60 grams whey protien, 80-100grams dextrose sugar(100 on leg day and heavy back day)

meal 7- either another chicken breast or another 7 or 8 egg whites usually mixed with Simply Potato's Southwest style hash browns, 2 or 3 servings of flax oil, diet pepsi somewhere between my last 2 meals

oh yeah, I also do either another bowl of oats or a bowl of grits at night with my last meal, forgot to mention that. I think my carbs come out to be right around 300 a day on a diet like this

Veretta21 is offline Junior Member
    Obviously our bodytypes have a lot to do with what we inherited, but does anybody feel or know if how we were fed when we were babies and children determined how are body responds to carbs, protein, and fat?

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    veretta I very much so think that the eating habits during childhood is vastly important to how metabolism will develop. Dont have any evidence or so for this but to me it feels obvious. Feed a kid lots of high gi carbs and fat and he will have troubble handling carbs when older. Thats what I think.

Veretta21 is offline Junior Member
    yeah thats exactly how I feel---I never ate healthy when I was growing--always shitfood---until I was like 16----which is why I think my body doesn't handle carbs well now---I have to eat clean or my body tends to put on fat easily in my midsection

Quote Originally Posted by Veretta21
    yeah thats exactly how I feel---I never ate healthy when I was growing--always shitfood---until I was like 16----which is why I think my body doesn't handle carbs well now---I have to eat clean or my body tends to put on fat easily in my midsection

I think this is very true, I hate seeing little fat kids wolfing down food in vast amounts, sitting there with their fat as **** famileies all edulging on a pizza.

Pump_30 is offline Junior Member
    Hey Swole,
    Up the fat intake?.....what kinds of fat?

Just up the tablespoons of flax a day?

That is my trouble cutting up....lose too damn much muscle.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    High carbs for cutting huh??? I'm sure some can pull it off, but not me.... I can't even get to high of carbs when bulking..... I'm to carb sensitive I blow up like a balloon....

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Interesting...What's your current Bodyweight Shred?
    right now 192, trying to get up to 200, but it has been a slow process. I feel like I have to eat non-stop all day to do so. I already feel like I'm eating every minute as it is.

-SHRED

Thread Information