BeerBaron is offline Senior Member

Nausea while lifting cured!

A lot of people on this board comment about nausea while lifting, mainly large groups like legs and back. I too had this problem and always thought it was due to lactic acid release from lifting. Usually I would hit the gym up after class, eating a protein bar on the way containing about 32g pro/ 16g carb purchased at a store on my way. I knew it was far from an ideal pre work out meal, but I figured it was better than nothing. So almost everytime I would lift after class I would feel at least a little sick, and sometime puke. With school out for a little, I have been taking my diet a lot more seriously. I noticed if I ate a lot of good quality carbs before my workout I would not feel nausea. So I tried not eating any carbs before working out, and I felt sick. Has anyone else had a similar experience, or is my body just crazy?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I usually get that feeling when I don't breathe correctly during heavy lifts, or during squats when I do 20 reps w/a moderate heavy weight and don't breathe correctly. I eat a carb/pro meal before the gym so I have ample blood glucose, and notice no nausea from that at all, no. It's usually breathing/rest between set related for me.

~SC~

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I can avoid the nasual all togheter if I work out first thing in the morning on a totaly empty stomach or dont eat anything at all for atleast 2 hours pre workout. If I eat 1 hour before workout and hit legs I cant go nearly as hard because of the puke factor.

So I dont need the carbs atleast. Its almost like I workout better when I havent eaten carbs at all pre workout.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    I can avoid the nasual all togheter if I work out first thing in the morning on a totaly empty stomach or dont eat anything at all for atleast 2 hours pre workout. If I eat 1 hour before workout and hit legs I cant go nearly as hard because of the puke factor.

So I dont need the carbs atleast. Its almost like I workout better when I havent eaten carbs at all pre workout.
    I have tried lifting on an empty stomach in the morning as well with no luck, I could still feel the nausea setting in; infact I remember it being worse. It's funny how with something as simple as oat meal I feel a million times better in the gym. Goes to show how different things work for different people.

I think it probably has something to do with how sensetive we are to low blood sugar. I am very un sensitive and my blood sugar can drop way below normal before it effects me thats probably why I get away with it. It possibly works the other way for me then. That I am more sensitive to high blood sugar then regular people

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron
    A lot of people on this board comment about nausea while lifting, mainly large groups like legs and back. I too had this problem and always thought it was due to lactic acid release from lifting. Usually I would hit the gym up after class, eating a protein bar on the way containing about 32g pro/ 16g carb purchased at a store on my way. I knew it was far from an ideal pre work out meal, but I figured it was better than nothing. So almost everytime I would lift after class I would feel at least a little sick, and sometime puke. With school out for a little, I have been taking my diet a lot more seriously. I noticed if I ate a lot of good quality carbs before my workout I would not feel nausea. So I tried not eating any carbs before working out, and I felt sick. Has anyone else had a similar experience, or is my body just crazy?
    I get that too sometimes if I lift VERY heavy. Immediately after finish a set I feel like vomiting? Is this what you are experiencing?

Yes, a lot of people experience this. There are a few possible reasons for this feeling.

isnt lactic acid buildup and air shortage the main cause? Not sure though. I only get naseous when I do several heavy medium rep sets with short rest periods. Like 4 sets of 10-15 rep squats followed by 3 sets of straight legged deadlifts with short rest periods. Or a couple of sets of walking lunges.

I never get nausea if I do heavy as 1-3 rep sets.

I always assumed it was lactic acid from lifting large muscle groups, but eating carbs seems eliminate that feeling in me (so far). It would make sense that my blood glucose levels would be down after sitting in class for a couple hours, which could be attributed to nause while doing strenuous activity. I'll have to push it to the limits tomorrow when I do legs and see if I can't invoke that feeling again. I'll let you know how it goes.

do that (thumbsup)

this is just a theory my mind came up with so might be TOTALY off but I am so acustomed to low carb diets that maby my body can tap into fat reserves for energy more easily and that is why I dont get nausea even while working on a empty stomach since I never have lack of energy

Honestly sometimes I even have better energy when I dont eat carbs pre workout. I feel fresher, lighter and more explosive.

cant be only lactic acid when I think about it since I never get the nausea when on stairmaster and I sure as hell get more lactic acid from that. Strange...never thought about what causes it realy.

For me also the worst nausea hits me when I am done with the working. If I do a realy intense workout the nausea hits me like 5 minutes after the workout. I sometimes cant even stomach the shake but have to wait until it goes away(15 minutes or so).

Had a preworlout meal of oats, which might I add was very hard to eat with novocane numbing my entire lower lip (filling fell out). Lifted shoulders first which went well, actually had a personal best of 185x6 on military press up two reps from last week. Went on to legs and felt pretty good all the way through. When I was going heavy on leg press at the end of my work out I could start to feel it coming on right after locking the weights, but taking a little extra time between sets helped to eliminate that. I was paying attention to my breathing mainly to eliminate that as a possible factor. It seems to look as if my previous feelings of nausea may have been caused by a combination of low glucose and lactic acid, but I feel as if the nausea could still happen

Thread Information