Tock is offline Anabolic Member

hard candy during a workout

Um, sometimes, about 3/4 of the way through my workout I start to loose steam . . . so I pop a hard candy (a Jolly Roger), and I get a second wind . . . finish the workout and get home in time for a decent meal.
    I'm curious to know how the Jolly Roger works . . . is the shot of sugar temporarily boosting insulin levels or something enabling me to finish up, or is the situation more insidious?
    Thanx . . .

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Okay brah... simply put: your throwing tissue (carbs) on the fire to keep the logs (fat) from burning.

Try some E/C/A if you need it. If fat loss is furthest from your mind and higher glycogen for strength is more important than fine. However you also start the risk of putting blood in your stomach vs in the working muscle.

overactive-girl is offline Female Member
    warrior, could you explain what you said better? I'm curious about the blood in the stomach comment-- do you mean that metaphorically...meaning to digest the candy instead of blood going only to the muscles, and not the stomach (to digest the candy)?

As far as your question goes Tock-- warrior is right about not wanting to take in carbs during your workout if you are trying to lose body fat, but if your focus is simply to put on muscle, then it is certainly okay to suck on a 25 calorie candy if it is giving you that last bit of energy to blast through your workout. As far as energy metabolism goes, chances are the candy is most likely working as a "placebo" for you...the sugar will give you a bit of an energy boost, but you probably pump out a bit more than you thought you had in you because you took the candy (in other words, the energy was there all along, but taking the candy made you THINK you now have more energy).
    In my opinion, if it works....do it. just don't forget to eat some real food when you get home.

Originally posted by overactive-girl
    warrior, could you explain what you said better? I'm curious about the blood in the stomach comment-- do you mean that metaphorically...meaning to digest the candy instead of blood going only to the muscles, and not the stomach (to digest the candy)?
    Eating prior to workouts is a horrable idea that can put your bodies energy and blood supply into your gut vs the working muscles. During resistance training that can deffinitly limit your pump and workout in general.

A common practice is that the last meal prior to working out should include as little fat as possible to help with faster absorbtion. And complete absorbtion by t-time.

In this case, this is not as pronounced because he is wondering about a simple piece of candy but it should not go above that. I see some people pounding Gatorades (although low in fat - nothing should be put in the stomach - unless you are replenshing glycogen for endurance activities like marathon running) and such on the workout floor and see this as a big mistake for them. But those people are typically your weekend warriors anyways...

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    Tock - unless the sweet is huge I would guess that the benefits you are feeling are more psychosomatic than anything (as overactive-girl says) - the sweetness of the sweet is helping you to feel more energetic.

Warrior - blood is diverted away from the gastrointestinal system during intense exercise. The main negative of having a large meal before exercise is the discomfort of having the bolus in the stomach when being active.

Drinking moderate amounts of fluids (with or without glucose) during a workout is highly recommended.

Daz
    Last edited by defdaz; 10-18-2002 at 05:20 AM.

durbin22 is offline Member
    I don't see how a jolly rancher can give you energy so you can blast through a workout.

Blood is diverted to the muscles but if a meal is consumed too close, especially high in fat, the body is focusing on digestion and not the workout (as in the extra fluids in the stomach). Which can lead to all kinds of workout complications. We agree on this one for sure.

Carb drinks during a workout would depend on the type of training that is being done and the goals for the macrocycle. There is no hard fast rule. For most I would NEVER recommend it since I see most people that are trying to lose fat while building muscle. And the fluid build up in the stomach can cause problems if it can not be used right away. Why do you think this is common practice? I would say only water is needed for most.

A workout should end in a high GI drink to begin recovery and combat cortisol - but not during... again not for most.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't see how a jolly rancher can give you energy so you can blast through a workout.
    =======================

Nevertheless, it helps quite a bit . . . maybe the effect is mostly psychosomatic, but for me, it makes all the difference in the world in getting through the last 8 sets.
    I'll have to experiment with other hard candies to see if it's the flavor or the actual sugar that's working the miracle . . .

Thanks for the replies . . . and the ECA suggestion, gotta try that too. Glad to know I'm not doing anything to sabotage muscle growth. I can sleep better now . . .

Rugby13 is offline Member
    How long should you wait to workout after you have had something eat?

Originally posted by Rugby13
    How long should you wait to workout after you have had something eat?
    If the meal contains fats, which slow absorbtion, you should wait at least 2 hours. If it is basically a carb and protein meal - 90 minutes is adequate.

Well, I keep sugar packets in my gym bag as I've had 3 or 4 major hypoglycemic attacks (usually on leg day) in the last 6 months at the gym, but they're only there to prevent me from passing out

During a work out I do chew gum though... I found it prevents me from gritting my teeth and as a plus I also thing it gives me a better pump (though I'm sure thats all in my head)

Red

Thread Information