MaidenOnslaught is offline Junior Member

How much Cal, Pro, Carb, Fat?

Hi, I'm just starting out. If any one can help me out? I would like to know How much Cal, Pro, Carb, Fat for a 315 lbs guy. My goal to lose weight, So I guess I'll doing a cutting diet from the sticky i read. I'll be hitting the weights at night, and cardio in the morning.

Thanks!

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Off the top of my head you are going to need to be eating about 3,000 to 3,400 cals, depending on physical activity and so on....Since you didn't give me a height I'm going to assume that you are of average height which means you are way overweight (not knock on you at all). Which means that insulin sesitivity is most likely shot, I would do a flat out Keto diet for a month of two to help shed fat and improve insulin sensitivity. If not a keto something similar where you can have a clean carb up day once per week. Once you get down to a lower weight then I think it'd be better to get on a more balanced program. That's IMO.

Mogambo is offline New Member
    from my understanding the ratio is 4:1, so atleast 5 grams of fat fro 20 grams of protein, this was the thought of old school trainers like vince gironda, i havent been able to find any recent info on the subject.

Yeah 4:1 fat to protein, Polyunsaturated fats being prefered:

Differential metabolic effects of saturated versus polyunsaturated fats in ketogenic diets.

Fuehrlein BS, Rutenberg MS, Silver JN, Warren MW, Theriaque DW, Duncan GE, Stacpoole PW, Brantly ML.

Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA.

Ketogenic diets (KDs) are used for treatment of refractory epilepsy and metabolic disorders. The classic saturated fatty acid-enriched (SAT) KD has a fat:carbohydrate plus protein ratio of 4:1, in which the predominant fats are saturated. We hypothesized that a polyunsaturated fat-enriched (POLY) KD would induce a similar degree of ketosis with less detrimental effects on carbohydrate and lipid metabolism. Twenty healthy adults were randomized to two different weight-maintaining KDs for 5 d. Diets were 70% fat, 15% carbohydrate, and 15% protein. The fat contents were 60 or 15% saturated, 15 or 60% polyunsaturated, and 25% monounsaturated for SAT and POLY, respectively. Changes in serum beta-hydroxybutyrate, insulin sensitivity (S(I)), and lipid profiles were measured. Mean circulating beta-hydroxybutyrate levels increased 8.4 mg/dl in the POLY group (P = 0.0004), compared with 3.1 mg/dl in the SAT group (P = 0.07). S(I) increased significantly in the POLY group (P = 0.02), whereas total and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol increased significantly in the SAT group (both P = 0.002). These data demonstrate that a short-term POLY KD induces a greater level of ketosis and improves S(I), without adversely affecting total and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, compared with a traditional SAT KD. Thus, a POLY KD may be superior to a classical SAT KD for chronic administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Off the top of my head you are going to need to be eating about 3,000 to 3,400 cals, depending on physical activity and so on....Since you didn't give me a height I'm going to assume that you are of average height which means you are way overweight (not knock on you at all). Which means that insulin sesitivity is most likely shot, I would do a flat out Keto diet for a month of two to help shed fat and improve insulin sensitivity. If not a keto something similar where you can have a clean carb up day once per week. Once you get down to a lower weight then I think it'd be better to get on a more balanced program. That's IMO.

hahaha... yes I'm over weight. I'm 6'1 and I work in front of a computer. I walk a 1 mile a day from the garage to work. But I started the stationary bike in the morning and plan to start hitting the gym in couple of weeks. Insulin level? I've been getting slight head aces since I started to eat healthier, would that have anything to do with it???

No basically what I meant was your insulin sensitivty is probably very low (this is not good). Due to the fact that you are overweight, inactive and most likely don't have alot of muscle mass. This can all be reveresed, and you can do it by taking the proper steps as it seems you have done! So great job on that. I suggested the keto diet so you can control insulin levels and help improve insulin senitivity. Couple this with exercise, weight loss and muscle gain you will have greatly improved sensitivty and can go about by reintroducing carbs back into your diet. Now I don't think you have to go keto, but I think in your situation it would help. And if you have already lowered carbs, then yes that could be what the headaches are from. This will pass as soon as your body adjusts to ketones.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    No basically what I meant was your insulin sensitivty is probably very low (this is not good). Due to the fact that you are overweight, inactive and most likely don't have alot of muscle mass. This can all be reveresed, and you can do it by taking the proper steps as it seems you have done! So great job on that. I suggested the keto diet so you can control insulin levels and help improve insulin senitivity. Couple this with exercise, weight loss and muscle gain you will have greatly improved sensitivty and can go about by reintroducing carbs back into your diet. Now I don't think you have to go keto, but I think in your situation it would help. And if you have already lowered carbs, then yes that could be what the headaches are from. This will pass as soon as your body adjusts to ketones.

I have some muscle mass left. I'm fat, but I'm not huge! I have belly, love handles and a fat arse

Hahah, well hey man its up to you. I certainly don't think you have to go Keto it was jsut an option. Otherwise exercise, diet and weights do a nice job at getting the job done as well.

Thread Information