IronCy is offline Senior Member

Morning Cardio and the meal after

Just wondering, for those of you who do AM cardio on an empty stomach, what does your first meal comprise of? How long after the cardio session do you eat?
    -Cy

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Usually whey/oats/eggwhites.... 45mins later.

SexyKitty is offline Female Vet
    I eat a protein/fat meal about 30 minutes after. Usually a protein drink in crystal light and a tbsp of Udo's oil. Protein/Fat so as to not totally blunt lipolysis.

mitch911 is offline Member
    50g protein shake with 1bs flax aprx 45 mins after

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries
    3/4 cup oats, 5 egg whites, 35 g whey, fruit
    45 min- 1 hr after

_Tiger_ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronCy
    Just wondering, for those of you who do AM cardio on an empty stomach, what does your first meal comprise of? How long after the cardio session do you eat?
    -Cy
    Eggs/oatmeal.....
    who's that in your avatar...*drools*

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    If I eat fat/pro, I eat right away as there are no carbs to interfere with the wave of lipolysis that usually lasts about 45 mins. to an hour.

If I eat pro/carb, I wait about 35-45 mins. to eat.

~SC~

SexyKitty is offline Female Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    If I eat fat/pro, I eat right away as there are no carbs to interfere with the wave of lipolysis that usually lasts about 45 mins. to an hour.

If I eat pro/carb, I wait about 35-45 mins. to eat.

~SC~
    So I should be able to eat my pro/fat meal immediately after cardio, then my pro/carb meal 2 1/2 hours later? OR as an alternative could I not have anything to eat at all right after cardio but have a pro/carb meal say 1 hour later and still have the same effect?

Quote Originally Posted by SexyKitty
    So I should be able to eat my pro/fat meal immediately after cardio, then my pro/carb meal 2 1/2 hours later? OR as an alternative could I not have anything to eat at all right after cardio but have a pro/carb meal say 1 hour later and still have the same effect?

Indeed! However, go ahead and have a carb/pro offering 45 mins. after cardio if you are having carb/pro. No need to wait "TOO" long, and an hour is quite a long time. It takes a while for the food to get into your system anyhow, it's not like once you swallow it's on.

~SC~

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    I tried eating a pro/fat meal after cardio in the mornings, and I was lacking energy big time. I find I can still lose fat quite easily by including carbs in the AM after cardio, PWO, and PPWO.... worked incredibly well for me so far.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    I tried eating a pro/fat meal after cardio in the mornings, and I was lacking energy big time. I find I can still lose fat quite easily by including carbs in the AM after cardio, PWO, and PPWO.... worked incredibly well for me so far.

Yeah same here, and what most people don't relize is that a Pro/Fat illicits an isulin response as well, so its best to wait 45min to eat whichever you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Yeah same here, and what most people don't relize is that a Pro/Fat illicits an isulin response as well, so its best to wait 45min to eat whichever you choose.
    Protein/Fat illicits no where NEAR a slin response that will blunt lipolysis. The key is to make sure your fats are high enough and your protein is not insanely high so that your body turns excess into sugars. That in itself takes quite a bit of work/energy, so it wouldn't matter anyhow.

Having said that, you really can eat fat/pro right after cardio. If you feel the need to wait 45 mins., then that is something you are entitled to do, but I have my clients eat within 5-10 mins. and there are no ill effects from doing so.

~SC~

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    After reading the new glucose revolution it appears that indeed this situation can happen:

"There are some instances, however, where a food has a low glycemic value but a high insulin index value. This applies to dairy foods and to some highly palatable energy-dense "indulgence foods." Some foods (such as meat, fish, and eggs) that contain no carbohydrate, just protein and fat (and essentially have a GI value of zero), still stimulate significant rises in blood insulin."

The New Glucose Revolution

Hence having fats/pro in the correct balance, as fats surpress insulin surges.

All good, like I said each person has a different approach, and that's just fine.

~SC~

Thread Information