Flex2winny is offline Associate Member

Powerade vs dext vs oats?

I got a trainer in my gym that uses powerade instead of str8 dex in his pw shake. 1st ingredient is high fructose syrup. Junk IMO, would it be inferior to dext?

I've been using low GI carbs, as I feel the body never needs that much sugar at once, no matter what state its in. What's your opinion? Read all the stickies and really have reseached this. Just want your opinion.

Rock88 is offline Junior Member
    Well your wrong buddy. After workout your body's glycogen levels have been depleted and you need glucose fast.The reason people use high GI carbs is to replace glycogen levels as fast as possible to start the recovery process.You can use low GI carbs but expect a slower recovery.

Flex2winny is offline Associate Member
    Wrong buddy, or just not you way of thinking? I'm sitting around 8% bf and want to bulk up lean and clean.......I train late and can barely get in another meal before bed. THus my reasoning. If you were me, what would you do? I'm finished training at 630 and bed by 1000. 3 meal suggestion?

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    i would eat something like cottage cheese or casein before bed and also a low GI carb

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Well your wrong buddy. After workout your body's glycogen levels have been depleted and you need glucose fast.The reason people use high GI carbs is to replace glycogen levels as fast as possible to start the recovery process.You can use low GI carbs but expect a slower recovery.
    First of all to be glycogen depleted it takes about 3 days with very little carbs, getting into ketosis would be an example. And whats wrong with a slower recovery if you are not doing a further activity??? If you are going to bed, what's the problem??

rssumme is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    First of all to be glycogen depleted it takes about 3 days with very little carbs, getting into ketosis would be an example. And whats wrong with a slower recovery if you are not doing a further activity??? If you are going to bed, what's the problem??

No one ever answers this question. I just want to hear the pro High GI side of the arguement but it never happens. There has to be a reason they prefer this way. Why the secret?

Veretta21 is offline Junior Member
    the reason I always heard was what rock88 said and that there is a "window of about an hour" that you need the high GI's--I ain't listening anymore going to use oats/honey/banana for my pw shakes for now on---always for the last couple years have been wondering if dumping massive amounts of sugar into my body will hurt it---and I don't want to find out either anymore

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    After exercise your muscle cells are primed/stimulated for INCREASED uptake of nutrients, hence the reason people use high gi products like dextrose and whey isolate for easily assimilated amino acids. Insulin is very anabolic , and when you have increased uptake, combining the two is good idea in this time-frame to begin the recovery process and make use of more nutrients than is the norm at any other time.

~SC~

SC--you ever try using low GI's for PW or has it always been high GI's?

I always use dextrose and isolate myself and I love the results. If it ain't broke, ........

~SC~

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    what can we take from a statement like this....

after working out with weights. If I have a dextrose/protein isolate shake I DO NOT feel sore the next day. If I DONT have a dextrose/protein isolate shake and just eat something normal or just protein fat then I am SORE the next day.

I edited this as it was phrased incorrectly.
    Last edited by Dally; 08-11-2005 at 10:19 AM.

Personally I would rather not be sore, it would make me think the exact opposite for what you said---I would think that it shuttled all the nutrients into my muscles and it would help them to be primed for another workout---however being sore does not mean a muscle is not ready to be worked again

Quote Originally Posted by Veretta21
    Personally I would rather not be sore, it would make me think the exact opposite for what you said---I would think that it shuttled all the nutrients into my muscles and it would help them to be primed for another workout---however being sore does not mean a muscle is not ready to be worked again

HOLY SHIT!!

completely wrong the way I phrased it...

if she is sore, its from NOT have a dex/pro shake

she is NOT sore or as sore when she has one.

sorry for the mixup.

DOMS and hypertrophy don't correlate

muscle soreness is directly related to a stress is it not? and equally thereafter hypertrophy/recovery.....

what do you mean exactly they donk't correalate?

thanks bud.

What I mean is soreness doesn't tell you whether or not you are recovering. You're telling me you've never had a hard leg day and been sore for 2 days afterwards, even with a Dex/Pro shake??? It depends on the severirty of the micro tears one endures during training.

MaidenOnslaught is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I always use dextrose and isolate myself and I love the results. If it ain't broke, ........

~SC~
    Hi SC, what would be a good alternative (non powder but real foods) to dextrose? I’m sure I’ll forget to order dextrose when I run out

Sweet tarts!

~SC~

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    I alwas found DOMS to be a great indicator of the fact that a certain bodypart hasn't fully recovered yet...

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Sweet tarts!

~SC~
    honey is good.

drinu is offline Junior Member
    isnt honey a mix of glucose and fructose ?

and if sugar is bad for the body should it be it all the time ??

i always go with oats ,whey and sometimes add a banano to my post workout shake

I alwas found DOMS to be a great indicator of the fact that a certain bodypart hasn't fully recovered yet...

Eur J Appl Physiol. 2001 Mar;84(3):180-6. Related Articles, Links

Markers of inflammation and myofibrillar proteins following eccentric exercise in humans.

MacIntyre DL, Sorichter S, Mair J, Berg A, McKenzie DC.

School of Rehabilitation Sciences, University of British Columbia, T325 2211 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 2B5, Canada. [email protected]

The purpose of this study was to examine the time-course and relationships of technetium-99m (99mTc) neutrophils in muscle, interleukin-6 (IL-6), myosin heavy chain fragments (MHC), eccentric torque, and delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) following eccentric exercise in humans. Twelve male subjects completed a pre-test DOMS questionnaire, performed a strength test and had 100 ml blood withdrawn for analysis of plasma IL-6 and MHC content. The neutrophils were separated, labelled with 99mTc, and re-infused into the subjects immediately before the exercise. Following 300 eccentric repetitions of the right quadriceps muscles on an isokinetic dynamometer, the subjects had 10 ml of blood withdrawn with repeated the eccentric torque exercise tests and DOMS questionnaire at 0, 2, 4, 6, 20, 24, 48, 72 h, and 6 and 9 days. Bilateral images of the quadriceps muscles were taken at 2, 4, and 6 h. Computer analysis of regions of interest was used to determine the average count per pixel. The 99mTc neutrophils and IL-6 increased up to 6 h post-exercise (P < 0.05). The neutrophils were greater in the exercised muscle than the non-exercised muscle (P < 0.01). The DOMS was increased from 0 to 48 h, eccentric torque decreased from 2 to 24 h, and MHC peaked at 72 h post-exercise (P < 0.001). Significant relationships were found between IL-6 and 2 h and DOMS at 24 h post-exercise (r = 0.68) and assessment of the magnitude of change between IL-6 and MHC (r = 0.66). These findings suggest a relationship between damage to the contractile proteins and inflammation, and that DOMS is associated with inflammation but not with muscle damage.

Thread Information