guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test

Question GI of milk / Sugar though a low GI?

I thought that milk had a low GI but, I have read that the GI of milk and all of the carbs contained within any fat% of milk, come from sugar. Doesnt sugar have a high GI? so how/why does milk "sugar"/carbs have a high GI and therefore rate bad for you?

I am asking this because i have always used milk quite a bit for a protein source.
    Last edited by guest589745; 08-13-2005 at 12:11 PM.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    there are alot of different kinds of sugar. Fructose for instance is a sugar with VERY low gi. Just because a carb is a sugar doesnt mean its a bad carb imo.

If that where the case every fruit on earth would be horrible.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    You are correct Lactose is a very low GI, and I incorporate it in my diet to meet carb requirements, ALL carbs are sugar, sugar is the end result of every carb you consume.

I think however that lactose produces a larger insulin spike then other carbs of comprable gi. Dont know how it works but everywhere I read it says milk realy spikes the insulin.

Yes Milk is more insulinogenic, "this is suspected because milk contains a unique chain of amino acids that are more insulin stimulating than than any alone"

New Glucose Revolution
    Pg.56

Milk may stimulate more insulin production however considering its Low GI value its safe to assume that it is still a stable rise in Blood Glucose. Basically it produces more but it does not spike, that is why its has a low GI.
    Last edited by Giantz11; 08-16-2005 at 10:43 AM.

Alpha-Male is offline Senior Member
    when do you guys usually incorporate it into your daily meal plan, assuming your not getting ready for a comp. or somethin'? i mean, i used to add it to all my shakes, and i really miss it, but a nutritionist steered me away from it awhile back...

and do you go for whole milk?

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    I use milk in 2 out of three shakes a day. So i take 500ml per day. Feels great. I find that too many people find too many thigns wrong with anything. Take things in moderation and you will be fine. People say oh you use too much deoderant you will get cancer, dont have too much oatmeal, dont have too much milk.
    IMO if you have anything in moderation you will be fine. People live a hundred years and dont follow all this strict ass dieting.

-Bino

I only use Skim really, sometimes 1%. I use it whenever I have carbs in my meal. I'm lucky I guess I really don't bloat at all when drinking it. I make some nice Chocolate Milk PWO and also use some in my shake as well. Also a nice glass in the morning.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    I only use Skim really, sometimes 1%. I use it whenever I have carbs in my meal. I'm lucky I guess I really don't bloat at all when drinking it. I make some nice Chocolate Milk PWO and also use some in my shake as well. Also a nice glass in the morning.
    Good man.

Im gonna start using milk pwo aswell. just love the taste.

Thread Information