SexyKitty is offline Female Vet

Dry Skin while Cutting

About 2 weeks into my cutting diet I noticed that my skin has been REALLY dry, especially in my hands and feet. It's summer here, hot as hell and very humid so I usually never get dry skin in the summer. Moisturizer doesnt seem to be helping iether, my hands feel dry all day.

I'm wondering if this is a sign I'm not getting enough fats in my diet. My diet consists of approx 25% fat daily and I get it from the following sources:

Udo's Oil
    Flax Oil
    Olive Oil
    Natural PB

Does anyone know if dry skin is a sign of a lack of dietary fats or perhaps some other dietary deficiency. I will research a bit on the net but wondering if anyone else has any experiences.

Thanks,
    SK

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    yeah that could be a factor
    as well as a lack in certain vitamins and/or minerals

Yeah, just read that a lack of EFA's do cause dry skin. It's also common in people who do not digest fats easily. I might up the Udo's Oil by a tblsp and see if it makes a difference. It's also recommended to up the Vitamin A, beta carotene, b viatamins and zinc as it could be due to those deficiencies.

Quote Originally Posted by SexyKitty
    Yeah, just read that a lack of EFA's do cause dry skin. It's also common in people who do not digest fats easily. I might up the Udo's Oil by a tblsp and see if it makes a difference. It's also recommended to up the Vitamin A, beta carotene, b viatamins and zinc as it could be due to those deficiencies.
    dont over do the vit A+beta carotene side effects are bad

a nice b complex with maybe Im b-12 once every 2 weeks(1000mcg) , vitamins e 400 iu

and 30-40 mg of zinc??

try 10 grams of b5 helps in cutting without ne sides or exercise...nice huh?

Take ur saturated fats too!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IronFreakX
    dont over do the vit A+beta carotene side effects are bad

a nice b complex with maybe Im b-12 once every 2 weeks(1000mcg) , vitamins e 400 iu

and 30-40 mg of zinc??

try 10 grams of b5 helps in cutting without ne sides or exercise...nice huh?

Take ur saturated fats too!!!!
    I definitely need to start taking a b complex but fvck I'm going broke with all these supplements.

I'm get enough saturated fats from the meats I eat. I'm a carnivore at heart. I also throw in whole eggs (hard boiled) as part of protein fat meals so I get saturated fats there as well.

I dont want my fat intake to exceed 25-30% of my diet though, more than that and I turn into a cow.

try 10 grams of b5

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    would be wierd if you get dry skin form lack of efa with all those different fats. Do you eat alot of veggies? fruits?

If digestion is a issue throw in some sprouts in your diet. Alfalafa sprouts in particular. Or buy digestive enzymes but they cost ALOT.

also try to dubbel or tripple your multi vitamin dosage. But make sure at first the vitamin d content isnt to high to do this. that is about the only thing in the mulit tabs you can overdose.

Try using fish oil instead of flax oil. Maby you have some kind of problem where you cant turn alpha linolenic acid to epa and dha. Dont know if those later 2 are already in udos though.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    would be wierd if you get dry skin form lack of efa with all those different fats. Do you eat alot of veggies? fruits?

If digestion is a issue throw in some sprouts in your diet. Alfalafa sprouts in particular. Or buy digestive enzymes but they cost ALOT.
    It might be lack of EFA'a. I take the fats I mentioned above but not all of them everyday, I mix it up bw those fats and take some some days, the oters othe days. But according to my calculations I made sure it's about 25%, maybe I'm off.

I have to admit, I am very bad with the multi's and other supplements. I often forget to take them. I am also quite broke right now and would rather spend my money on food and protein powder. I am out of most of my viatamins right now and realistically cant buy more until next month. Fvck being broke sucks!!!

I hear that. Beeing broke is harsh. But try the sprouts, wheat sprouts contains plenty of minerals, lots of vitamin e and efa's. Alfalfa sprouts help in digestion and contains shitloads of other stuff. Both are dirt cheap. Buy alfalfa seeds and sprout them yourself.

How about veggies and fruits? do your diet contain plenty of those? Otherwise vitamins is needed I am a firm belive that vitamin deficiencies royaly screws upp metabolism. Especialy lack of the b vitamins, they are needed in many of the steps in the citric acid cycle. A good b vitamin supplement shouldt be more then 5-6 bucks.

Hope the dry skin problem goes away. EFA's shouldnt be needed everyday so its odd. maby you are showering alot now with the extra cardio and the hot weather?

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    I hear that. Beeing broke is harsh. But try the sprouts, wheat sprouts contains plenty of minerals, lots of vitamin e and efa's. Alfalfa sprouts help in digestion and contains shitloads of other stuff. Both are dirt cheap. Buy alfalfa seeds and sprout them yourself.

How about veggies and fruits? do your diet contain plenty of those? Otherwise vitamins is needed I am a firm belive that vitamin deficiencies royaly screws upp metabolism. Especialy lack of the b vitamins, they are needed in many of the steps in the citric acid cycle. A good b vitamin supplement shouldt be more then 5-6 bucks.

Hope the dry skin problem goes away. EFA's shouldnt be needed everyday so its odd. maby you are showering alot now with the extra cardio and the hot weather?
    I'll try the sprouts, I like sprouts anyway so it will be easy to encorporate into my diet.

Honestly, I probably am not getting enough veggies. I am trying my best to add green veggies to at least 3 or 4 of my meals, but realistically I get them in at 2 meals a day. I'll eat mainly broccoli, asparagus, cucumber, mushrooms. But broccoli is what I eat the most. I am also going to try to start eating some things like spinach, chinese brocoli (it's awesome!), and some more of the leafy vegetables.

I'm cutting so I have eliminated all fruit which I miss very much.

OK. As of today I am going to make a promise to myself to get strict on the vitamins. I am incredibly proud of myself that I have been so disciplined with my diet this time around so next step for me will be to get strict with the vitamins. I'm going to have to come up with some kind of routine to ensure I take them everyday because thats the worst part for me, just forgetting.

For someone who is broke, and can only take the bare minimum, what would be a good list of supplements to be taking (especially since I dont eat enough fruit and veggies). I was thinking the following but please add as necessary:

A mulit vit and mineral
    Vit C
    Vit B's (or is this redundant since I have the multi?)

What else? And remember, I'm broke

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member

For someone who is broke, and can only take the bare minimum, what would be a good list of supplements to be taking (especially since I dont eat enough fruit and veggies).

Aite...lemme see.

As a student and a competitive bodybuilder, from year to yea ri'm forced to cut on a budget...

This is my bare minimum stack:

1. a Multi (a GOOD one...one that you trust)
    2. a fat-burner (one with added phytonutrients... this is usually cheap)
    3. a bottle of b-complex
    4. a bottle of vitamin-C

That's about it.

To cut corners but not short-change myself:

1. I ditch the protein powder and eat my protein (it's better metabolism-wise anyway. Besides, unless you're 200+ it really isn't difficult to eat to amount of protein you need daily for maintenance).

2. add cheap (i.e. in season) veggies to my meals...to cover my phytonutrient/anti-oxidant bases...without breaking the bank

3. add canned veggies to the mix (cheap addition...and studies show that canning only reduces the vitamin C amount...Doesn't really affect other vitamins seeing that the canning process halts enzymatic degredation.)

4. Drink (both green and black) tea and coffee... (to supplement my fat-burning regime...that way my bottle of fat-burners lasts longer)

5. Cut down on variety ('cept when it comes down to veggies). Cutting itself isn't supposed to be expensive...as it only generally involves restricting caloric intake. If one is strict and drafts one's diet around lets say. 1-3 protein sources; 1-3 carb sources; 1-3 fat sources...and supplement with inseason/canned veggies, cutting should be cheaper than offseason eating.

It's what i do. Going overboard on supplements isn't necessary IMO.

~Nark

A mulit vit and mineral
    Vit C
    Vit B's (or is this redundant since I have the multi?)

you can add fruits again. ppwo especialy. Make a pro/carb meal out of a fruit and a shake instead of a pro/fat meal. I would never eliminate fruits completely unless competing.

I would still use the vitamin b even if you have a multi. b vitamins are very cheap.

Narcisso I would like to se something about the canned veggies. Not doubting but everything I have read is that canned veggies are shit and frozen is the next best thing to fresh.

Supplements imo is more important while cutting because when bulking we dont risk beeing deficient as much as when cutting. If you want to get away cheap rather drink then eat your protein since whey protein can be found disgustingly cheap(trueprotein for instance).

This isnt cheap but go with organicly grown veggies. Buying cheap veggies is throwing away money. I only look at cheap veggies as stomach filler nothing more. They contain so low levels of vitamins, minerals and so on that they are practicly useless. Rather 1 serving/day of organic veggies then 4 servings of cheap veggies.
    Sprouts is by the way a better source for antioxidants and phytochemicals then veggies and alot cheaper and homegrown so no pesticides. If you cant afford organicly grown veggies then go with sprouts and use shit veggies as stomach filler if you need it.

Since you have cut out diary I assume? a calcium and magnesium supplement would be needed. Calcium helps with fatloss and magneisum balances it out since to much calcium without magesium is a negative thing. Dont buy dolomite as calcium source, its cheap but rich in heavy metalls.
    I also always notice more energy when supplementing with magesium and potassium, pretty obvious since they are important for cellular function.
    This is also a cheap supplement.

I nowdays rather cut down on foods and spend more on supplements then the other way around since foods are shit(if not organicly grown) and not a good source for all we need for optimal body function.

to sum it up:
    a multivitamin(dubbel the recomended dosage)
    a b vitamin complex(dubbel this aswell)
    vitamin c(at the VERY LEAST 1 gram a day. I wouldnt suggest anything below 5grams ever realy but since you are broke 1g would atleast be decently sufficient).
    Magnesium/calcium/potassium
    alfalfa and wheat sprouts
    flax seeds and other seeds.(dirt cheap and natural anti estrogen)
    Zink

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    I suffer from dry skin/dermatitis on my hands. I have a medicated cream from the doctors that works but i found something even better..... My Australian Gold 'Hemp Seed' moisturiser. Brilliant stuff. My hands have never looked so good

Thread Information