mitch911 is offline Member

protien intake frequency

i know that eating every 3 hours on avg is ideal to keep nitrogen balance in the body so that it does not become catabolic...instead of taking 2 50g whey shakes in the day would it be in any way better to split it up into 4 whey shakes of 25g? reasoning behind is that whey digests quicker then real food so this would maintain more of a balance.... just had it on my mind any opinions

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    If it is like something like this that you have in mind...I would give it a try and see if i notice a difference...let us know

so a sample day would be like this
    1-food
    3 hrs
    2-food
    3hrs
    3-shake
    1.5hrs
    4-shake
    1.5hrs
    5-shake
    1.5hrs
    6-shake
    1.5hrs
    7-food
    3hrs
    8-food

-With whey protein, it will take only 20 minutes before almost all of what you have consumed is coursing through your veins. Somewhere between 20-40 minutes, the level of amino acids in your blood has reached its high point. With in the hour it will have gone through the various metabolic processes, either protein synthesis, or oxidation. 11,12,13,14

-So with whey protein, it will take only 40 minutes for blood levels of amino acids and protein synthesis to reach a peak, and in about an hour they will come back to normal after a single feeding of protein. 5,14 This is amazingly fast in comparison to its counter part casein or even whole food.

5. Dangin M., Biorie Y., Rodenas-Garcia C., Gachon P., Fauquant J., Callier P., Ballevre O., and Beaufrere B (2001). The digestion rate of protein is an indipendant regulating factor of postprandial protein retention, Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab, 280 E340-E348.
    11. Miller S. L., Tipton K. K., Chinkes D. L., Wolfe S.E., and Wolfe R.R. (2003). Independent and combined effects of amino acids and glucose after resistance exercise. Med Sci. Sports. Exerc. , 35, 3 449-455.
    12. Mahe R., Roos N., Benamouzig R., Davin L., Luengo C., Ganon L.,Gausseres N., Rautureau J. and Tome D (1996). Gastrojejunal kinetics and the digestion of [15N]beta-lactoglobulin and casein in humans: the influence of the nature and quantity of the protein. Am J. Clin Nutr, 63, 546-552.
    13. Pannemans DL, D Halliday and KR Westerterp (1995). Whole-body protein turnover in elderly men and women: responses to two protein intakes J. Am. Clin. Nutr, 61, 33-38.
    14. Rasmussen B. B., Tipton K.D., Miller S. L., Wolf S.E., and Wolfe R.R (2000). An oral essential amino acid-carbohydrate supplement enhances muscle protein anabolism after resistance exercise J. App. Physiol, 88, 386-392.

Thread Information