Thread: Yogurt

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer

Yogurt

Just wondering what you guys think of yogurt. Pro's vs. Con's. I like to have some yogurt every morning with my eggs toast and oatmeal. I know it has sugars in it which arent the best. But is it something that should be avoided when eating clean?
    Thanks

-Bino

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    I eat nonfat yogurt almost every day, I was wonderin the same thing.

Lets hope SC or another well informed person reads this then ... lol

-Bino

SHRED is offline Senior Member
    I think it all depends on your goals etc....

If I was cutting, I wouldn't touch the stuff.

If I was bulking I would incorporate it into my diet but just make sure that you find a brand that is relatively low in sugar.

Sugar is no good regardless , cutting or bulking ......IMO.

S.P.G is offline AR Workout Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff_Daddy

If I was bulking I would incorporate it into my diet but just make sure that you find a brand that is relatively low in sugar.

i agree....

Ya I was somewhat worried about the sugar. Thanks a lot guys. Is there such thing as sugar-free yogurt?

-Bino

I think a company called Blue Bunny makes one but I heard the stuff isn't very tasty.

Phyll is offline Associate Member
    YEs, there are several sugar-free yogurts out there, but most of them still have a lot of sugars in it; not necessarily processed sugar as the regular version, but lactose, fructose, maltose and other sugars found in milk, corn starch, etc.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    The sugar content is absolutely fine, what do you think carbs are?? Sugar! Would you eliminate all sugars while cutting? hell no (Unless you are Keto). If you can fit it into you cutting diet yogurt is a great source of Low Gi carbs, enzymes as well as calcium and protein. I eat it every day and don't have a problem. If you are lactose intolerant maybe that would be an issue. My pre Workout meal right now is Yogurt/Granola/Honey and a whey shake.

BTW, Just make sure it is Plain, Low Fat Yogurt and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Giantz11; 08-17-2005 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    The sugar content is absolutely fine, what do you think carbs are?? Sugar! Would you eliminate all sugars while cutting? hell no (Unless you are Keto). If you can fit it into you cutting diet yogurt is a great source of Low Gi carbs, enzymes as well as calcium and protein. I eat it every day and don't have a problem. If you are lactose intolerant maybe that would be an issue. My pre Workout meal right now is Yogurt/Granola/Honey and a whey shake.

BTW, Just make sure it is Plain, Low Fat Yogurt and you'll be fine.
    IMO I would def rethink this if his goal is to cut.

Mixing sugars with fat etc......will increase chances for fat storage even at a low GI.

JMO

Well if he is eating Oatmeal already then I doubt the Yogurt would make that big of a difference. But if he's having Eggs and Egg whites (So lets say 2 whole Yolks) that really won't be much of an issue, as a little healthy fat with carbs is fine, again IMO .

I am not cutting at the moment at all, if that clears anything up. Just a general question on what you guys thought of it. I just enjoy the taste of it and like having it in the mornings.

But now im confused as to whether the sugars are good or bad...

The sugars are low Gi, and I don't see a porblem with Yogurt at all. Just make sure its plain, low fat. Plain meaning there are no additional sugars added. The sugar from Yogurt is Lactose, which in our conversation about milk the other day is more than fine.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino
    I am not cutting at the moment at all, if that clears anything up. Just a general question on what you guys thought of it. I just enjoy the taste of it and like having it in the mornings.

But now im confused as to whether the sugars are good or bad...
    Give it a little while. Im sure more people will chime in.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff_Daddy

~SC~

Thanks for all the info. I think I will have yogurt in my diet still, a low sugar low fat brand with not too many additives and not have it quite as often.

Thanks again.

-Bino

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    Me not defending yogurt would be like Johan saying he doesn't gice a sh!t about vitamin C

So here's some info for ya...

bor
    From HealthNewsDigest.com

Diet
    Journal of Obesity Finds Yogurt Promotes Fat Loss
    By
    Mar 21, 2005, 15:04

Study to be published in the International Journal of Obesity finds yogurt promotes fat loss

(HealthNewsDigest.com) March 16, 2005—While some calorie-conscious people may drop dairy products when they’re dieting, a new study suggests this strategy could backfire. The study to be published in the upcoming April issue of the International Journal of Obesity reveals that yogurt may help turn up the body’s fat-burning ability – making it easier to lose fat while maintaining lean muscle.

The study – submitted by lead researcher Michael Zemel, Ph.D., professor of nutrition at the University of Tennessee – found that individuals who included Yoplait Light as part of their weight loss plan lost significantly more weight compared to others who simply reduced calories. The yogurt eaters lost 22 percent more weight—an average of 14 pounds, 66 percent more body fat and 81 percent more trunkal (stomach) fat during the 12-week study.

“The results are impressive,” according to an editorial discussing the newly published study in the same issue. The editorial goes on to say that this research is important because losing fat while “protect[ing] lean body mass is essential for the development of appropriate dietary recommendations.”

Zemel and colleagues at the University of Tennessee studied the impact of adding yogurt to a reduced-calorie diet on 34 healthy obese adults who were randomly assigned to one of two diet groups.

The Yoplait Light group consumed about 1,100 mg of calcium each day, which included three servings of Yoplait Light yogurt. The control group consumed a low calcium diet with only one serving of dairy per day, a reflection of the typical American diet, which is chronically low in calcium. In fact, more than 85 percent of people in the United States do NOT eat the minimum recommended three servings of dairy foods per day.

Furthermore, dieters could be undermining their efforts to lose weight since an estimated 66 percent of dieters in the U.S. cut back on dairy foods such as yogurt, milk and cheese.

All subjects in the study received an individualized diet plan that provided 500 fewer calories than their usual daily intake. Body weight and blood pressure were recorded weekly, and total body composition was assessed before and after the 12-week intervention by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA).

“Not only did yogurt help the study participants lose more weight—the average weight loss was 14 pounds—they were about twice as effective at maintaining lean muscle mass,” Zemel said. “This is a critical issue when dieting -- you want to lose fat, not muscle. Muscle helps burn calories, but it is often compromised during weight loss.”
    Losing Where it Counts

The participants who included yogurt in their diets also lost 81 percent more fat in the stomach area, which is the most dangerous type of fat. “Apple-shaped” obese individuals who carry extra fat around their middle section are at an increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, stroke and some types of cancer.

The calcium-rich diet helped the participants lose more than an inch around their waist. This represented about a six-fold greater decrease in waist circumference.
    “Successful weight maintenance involves small lifestyle changes that can be easily done on a daily basis,” said Dr. James Hill of the University of Colorado, who is the lead researcher for the National Weight Control Registry and author of the recently published The Step Diet Book. “The science connecting yogurt and weight loss is very encouraging, and what could be easier than including yogurt in your daily routine?”

Evidence is Mounting
    Zemel has been a pioneer in this emerging area of research examining the relationship between calcium and weight management. He was the first to discover that small changes in the calcium levels of fat cells alter signals within the cell that control the production and breakdown of fat. Getting enough calcium in your diet seems to trigger the body to burn more fat and reduces the amount of new fat the body makes.

His previous studies have found that in a reduced-calorie diet, as calcium intake goes up, weight and body fat go down. A diet low in calcium appears to stimulate the production of fat-producing enzymes and decreases the activity of enzymes that break down fat, Zemel said.
    “The moral of the calcium story is to not dump dairy when you’re dieting,” Zemel said. “Not only is it critical to keep your calcium levels high so you won’t lose bone density, it will also help you maintain your muscle mass and increase your fat loss. A diet rich in lowfat dairy foods, like yogurt, can help make your weight lost efforts easier.”
    Zemel recommends three servings of dairy foods a day, particularly fat free and lowfat choices.

Dairy (yogurt) augmentation of total and central fat loss in obese subjects. Zemel MB, Richards JD, Mathis S, Milstead AM, Gebhardt LP, Silva E. The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996-1920.

www.HealthNewsDigest.com

bor
    Medical News Archive

Eat Yogurt, Lose Belly Fat

Dairy Calcium in Diet Melts Fat Abs

By Daniel DeNoon
    WebMD Medical News Archive Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD
    on Tuesday, April 15, 2003

April 15, 2003 -- Don't dump dairy delights when dieting. That's the word from researchers who found that adding yogurt to a low-calorie diet helped people lose belly fat.

University of Tennessee scientist Michael Zemel, PhD, put 34 obese people on a low-calorie diet. Sixteen of them got pills with 400 to 500 mg of calcium per day. The other 18 people ate a higher calcium diet -- enough yogurt to give them 1,100 mg of calcium per day.

After 12 weeks, everybody lost a lot of fat. The comparison group had six pounds less fat, and the yogurt group lost about 10 pounds of fat. But those who ate Yoplait Light yogurt in the General Mills-sponsored study looked different from those who didn't. The yogurt eaters' waists shrank by more than an inch and a half. The comparison subjects lost about a quarter of an inch from their waist size.

Body scans showed why. Sixty percent of the yogurt eaters' weight loss was belly fat, while only 26% of the comparison group's loss was belly fat.

"Not only did yogurt help the study participants lose more weight -- the average weight loss was 13 pounds -- they were about twice as effective at maintaining lean muscle mass," Zemel says in a news release. "This is a critical issue when dieting. You want to lose fat, not muscle. Muscle helps burn calories, but it is often compromised during weight loss."

Zemel's earlier research shows that calcium -- especially dairy calcium -- slows down the body's fat-making process. He says that dieters should eat three servings of fat-free or low fat dairy products every day.

"The moral of the calcium story is to not dump dairy when you're dieting," Zemel says. "Not only is it critical to keep your calcium levels high so you won't lose bone density, it will also help you maintain your muscle mass and increase you fat loss."

It's unclear if the source of calcium affects fat loss -- whether it makes a difference if the calcium comes from the diet (dairy products) or from calcium supplement pills.

Zemel presented the study findings at this week's Experimental Biology 2003 meeting in San Diego, Calif.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCES: Experimental Biology 2003 meeting, San Diego, April 11-15, 2003. News release, General Mills, Minneapolis.

Good posting Bor!

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by bor
    Me not defending yogurt would be like Johan saying he doesn't gice a sh!t about vitamin C

So here's some info for ya...

eating some yoghurt everyday is doing a big favor to your digestion system.
    Last edited by Kärnfysikern; 08-17-2005 at 12:55 PM.

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    I use to eat alot of yoghurt. Probably 2 pots ED. I have cut it out completely now and notice a big difference in how cut i look. Not that i am... but you get my drift.

Thread Information