Thread: Celiac Bulker

Girlyman is offline Associate Member

Celiac Bulker

Well I just found out this past spring that I'm celiac (can't tolerate gluten) I am 22 years old 5'10" 166 pounds (gained 15 this summer). Ok I am on a bulking diet ( I believe ) I am trying to gain to about 185 pounds ( then I'll start cutting bigtime ) I am a competitive skier so cutting will be very easy in the winter with 4-5+ hours of training a day. My inablity to tolerate gluten makes me diet choices a lot slimmer. I can't eat wheat, oats, bread, sauces, pretty much can't eat anything manmade.

I have read the stickies and it made me realise I know less about the proper dieting than I thought. I am curious that I might not have enough fat in my diet (considering it have almost none) which would be bad for bulking I assume. I also have a specific question about my PWO shake.

My diet is as follows.

1.5-2lbs of chicken a day (pan fried in olive oil)
    roughly 15 servings of brown rice (hate brown rice but I hear it healthier)
    1-2 pounds of greenbeans and broccoli
    10ish servings of fruit (mandrin oranges)
    3 muscle milks and water
    6-7 hard boiled egg whites
    1 flax seed oil tab, 1 fish oil tab
    I pretty much eat every 3 hours, my solid meals consist of chicken and rice and the veggies.
    I drink muscle milks in between solid meals and after workouts
    I eat the oranges usually with the muscle milks becuase they almost have no carbs.
    I alternate solid meals and muscle milks throughout the day

Ok question #1 Since muscle milk is primarily casein does that mean its a shitty PWO shake?
    Question #2 I am getting the feeling I need to add fat to my diet, confirm?

I have been gaining weight I just can't tell if its muscle of fat. I've been lifting for about 5 weeks now and I'm getting stronger but I get the feeling that I'm starting to pick up some extra pudge in the stomach region. I train every other day, not really paying attention to the day of the week. I have been doing lots of squats, leg presses, flat and inclines. Pretty much alternating those every other lifitng day, and I just threw shoulders into the mix this week.

I was just curious if this diet was WAY off or if I'm moderately close to a good one. I don't like to work any harder than I need to so I'd like to be able to maximize gains.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Hey bro, yeah you aren't gettting enough fats at all.....You need to make sure that you have a total of 15 fish and flax caps. I'd add some Olive Oil to you Veggies and cook you chicken in butter. It'd be a good idea to throw down a few of those Egg Yolks too. Muscle Milk is shitty PWO because its high in fat. I would find another protein source. MM tends to combine sugars and fats, so its a no no. Other than that you seem to have a good idea of how to eat cleanly. I'd suggest you look at the bulking stick on top, write out a diet and post it!

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    bulking sticky def bro. Like giantz said you need more fat. I would recommend getting flax oil and ditching the capsules. Udo's flax oil is what you want 1tbsp. at a time. Bump the carbs up as well.

Well one of the main reason I take MM is because I called those guys and they said its gluten free which is not easy to find as far as powders go. Anyone know a good protein shake thats gluten free off that top of their head?
    I appreciate the input, Would nuts be a good source of fat to throw into the mix? Im not a big fan of dairy, it occasionaly makes me sick.
    Also I thought 15 servings of rice and 10 servings of fruit would be a lot of carbs, how much more should I bump those up?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm pretty new to this whole thing and I don't have any friends to consult.

Hey man just give us your diet out line, what you eat at each meal and how much of it. Then its easier to judge. I don't know any Protein that's Gluten free of the top of my head, sorry bro. Nuts are a gret source of fat, Almonds, Natural Peanut Butter, Peanuts, Almond Butter and so on.

Well to be honest I don't cut out specific portions at each meal. What I do is cook 1.5-2 lbs of chicken a night throw it in a big pan with 3-4 cups of rice (uncooked cups, yes I cook them) and some greenbeans and broccoli. I pretty much eat it throughout the day, everyday. I just try to guess and eat 4-5 meals out of it. What options do I have other than cooking each meal everytime or weighing the food or......

I found this stuff it kinda looks shitty though
    http://www.qfac.com/supps/dream_protein.html

I also found this hippy looking shit
    http://www.jayrobb.com/cat_proteinWheyVan_6_lb.asp

Could someone who knows his supplements take a look over those and tell me if they are decent or not? thanks a bunch fellas
    Last edited by Girlyman; 08-18-2005 at 02:34 PM.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    I used to do exactly the same thing

count the calories @www.fitday.com

figure our ur needs with the harris benedict formula

trust me ur results will be alot better/faster

Shit brotha those are some expensive proteins, 39 bucks for 1.5 pounds. I's say get that one and only use it PWO in a shake, the reast of the day rely on whole foods it'll be alot cheaper that way. You might want to look here allthewhey.com and see if their Whey Protein Isolate has any gluten, good chance it might not.

Well I email those guys and asked them about gluten, we'll see. As far as the harris benedict forumla don't I need to know my Body fat % ? (I have no clue what it is right now)

Ok I just punched in my #'s and for now I'll stick with moderately active
    pro fat carbs
    Moderately Actv 1336 668 1336 (cals)
    Moderately Acti 334 74 334 (grams)

That seems outrageous, 334 grams of protein? Can't that much protein seriously screw you up? My parents warned me of something called Gout(sp?) if you eat to much protein.

I'll try it, now to break down all the foods I eat into categories and start figuring something out. 334 grams of protein is gonna be 22 grams of protein per 4 oz of chicken= 15- 4 oz servings = 3.75lbs of chicken per day or 2.75 lbs with 3 protein shakes. That just seems like a shitload of meat, I am way off my target right now.

Carbs = 35 grams per .25 cup of brown rice so 10- 1/4 cup servings = 2.5 cups of rice a day(uncooked)= 350 grams of carbs . With my fruit intake I am definetly going over in the carb department and under in the protein department.

I think it's time for me to hit the store and buy a measuring cup and do this shit right.

If anyone can suggest good easy cheap fat to throw in the mix and about how much a day I should be eating, I would greatly appreicate it
    Last edited by Girlyman; 08-18-2005 at 03:35 PM.

Don't need it. Just Height, Weight, Age, Sex, Activity Level.

2.2lbs of chicken give you about 280grams of protein

and ur macros are way off...ill give a formula...

I used the Excel calculator in the bulking sticky, I'm 5'10 (70inches) 166 pounds and 22 years old

2.2 gives 280 grams? The chicken I have in my fridge ays 22 grams of Protein per 40x serving 16 oz to a pound so wouldnt each pound only have 88 g's of protein, so 2.2 lbs being 193.6 grams of protein?
    Last edited by Girlyman; 08-18-2005 at 03:43 PM.

BMR = 66 + (13.7 X wt in kg) + (5 X ht in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)

1 inch = 2.54 centimeters
    1 kilogram = 2.2 lbs.

Activity factor
    Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
    Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
    Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
    Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
    Extr. Active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or
    2 X day training, marathon, football camp,
    contest, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Girlyman
    I used the Excel calculator in the bulking sticky, I'm 5'10 (70inches) 166 pounds and 22 years old

2.2 gives 280 grams? The chicken I have in my fridge ays 22 grams of Protein per 40x serving 16 oz to a pound so wouldnt each pound only have 88 g's of protein, so 2.2 lbs being 193.6 grams of protein?
    Nutrition Facts

Amount Per 5 oz, boneless, cooked, skinless chicken breast
    Calories 209.64
    Calories from Fat 37.86

% Daily Value *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Fat 4.21g 6%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturated Fat 1.18g 6%

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.916g

Monounsaturated Fat 1.43g

Cholesterol 106.9mg 36%

Sodium 539.46mg 22%

Potassium 259.71mg 7%

Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%

Dietary Fiber 0g 0%

Protein 40.23g 80%

Wonder why mine for 4oz would be 22g's and yours for 5oz would be 40g's? Thats pretty bizarre, so anyway I calculated my shit I'm gonna need 2850 calories a day with mod active lifestlye. What ratio of Proteins to Fats to Carbs should I use with that?

Cutting Ratio 50/35/15
    40/30/30

Bulking Ratio 40/20/40
    40/25/35
    pro/fat/carbs

smth like that...

Ok thanks a lot freak, I gotta get ready for work I'm gonna write up a whole plan and post it here later if you wouldn't mind looking it over I'll owe ya one.

sure..

Thread Information