Thread: GI Diet Article

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator

Post GI Diet Article

What do you guys think?

Sticking to a diet is tough so it's important to find one that's relatively easy and won't set you up for failure.

Rick Gallop, former presideent of The Heart and Stroke Foundation says he's found a diet plan that works and it's called the G.I. Diet.

Lately the term G.I. or glycemic index has been thrown around a lot. Gallop defined it as a medical term describing the speed at which the body digests food and turns it into sugar or glucose, which is the body's source of energy.

Many people may be under the impression that when they taste something sweet, that food must have a high glycemic index. But this is not necessarily the case.

"It's the speed of digestion," Gallop said. "The idea here is to concentrate on the low G.I. foods, the ones that break down slowly, leaving you feeling fuller longer, so you're not looking for your next meal."

If you have high G.I. foods, Gallop explained, the ones that break down very quickly – typically highly-processed foods made from white flour such as cookies, doughnuts and bagels – 10 minutes later you're looking for your next fix.

The following are just a few examples of high-, medium- and low-G.I. foods.

Red Light Foods
    These are some high G.I. foods to avoid if you want to lose weight.

• Watermelon
    • Cantaloupe
    • Prunes
    • Bagels
    • Regular popcorn
    • Torilla chips
    • All sweetened juices and fruit drinks

Yellow Light Foods
    Eat in moderation once you've achieved your desired weight levels.

• Mangoes
    • Bananas
    • Whole wheat pita bread
    • Whole wheat shredded wheat

Green Light Foods
    Gallop said by and large you have a pretty free hand to eat as many of these food as you like. But be reasonable and use common sense.

• Apples
    • Oranges
    • Grapefruit
    • Blueberries
    • Raspberries
    • All-bran cereal
    • Whole-grain bread (always look for 2-1/2 to 3 grams of fibre per slice)
    • Beans
    • Carrots
    • Broccoli
    • Cucumber
    • Low-fat, low-sugar yogurt
    • Large-flake oatmeal

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    What that guy has "discovered" is old news that bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts have known for years on end. I don't see anything ground-breaking about it. As well, even low gi carbs can ruin fat loss efforts, so that is far from "the answer". It's a good start, yes, but starting is only the beginning.

Just my $.02

~SC~

noneyours is offline Junior Member
    were would whole wheat flour fall on the G.I scale. I'm not talking about bread made from whole wheat flour, im just talking about drinking whole wheat flour with water. This is what the label says "stone ground from hard red wheat
    100% of the wheat germ and bran"
    would this be a good thing to take throughout the day with my whey protien for l-glutamine and some good carbs? Would I be better off with something even lower (relatve) in the GI index throughout the day? any recomendations?

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by noneyours
    were would whole wheat flour fall on the G.I scale. I'm not talking about bread made from whole wheat flour, im just talking about drinking whole wheat flour with water. This is what the label says "stone ground from hard red wheat
    100% of the wheat germ and bran"
    would this be a good thing to take throughout the day with my whey protien for l-glutamine and some good carbs? Would I be better off with something even lower (relatve) in the GI index throughout the day? any recomendations?

whole wheat has a gi of 59(on the scale where white bread is 100). Whole wheat flour cant be that much higher if its realy whole wheats.

The people that "fail" on the GI diets I think dont do everything they can to use gi as low as possible and dont use the tricks to lower it even more. fats, seeds and apple cider vinegar can substantialy lower gi of a food and if the foods gi is very low to begin with(like beans and lentils) it will hardly cause any insulin release(just like no one cares about the carbs in penuts).

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    I think the GI is a great way to determine the quality of a carbohydate. Yes there are several ways to lower the GI as Johan pointed out, which also makes it easier to consume to Mid-GI food and turn it into a low GI meal. Obvisouly if ones selects all Low GI foods and over eats they will still get fat, but in general if you eat Low GI foods you will tend to have greater satiety and well as a smooth rise in blood sugar. The main this I think most can take away from GI type diets is that Carbs are nt the enemy they were made ou to be by all the low carb diets.

Thread Information