Reelmuscle is offline Associate Member

summer is over, time to bulk!!

Well, It is time to bulk up. 24 yrs old, 5'7, 175 lbs, 9-10%. Here is my bulking diet, PLEASE critique..I am doing a "kinda sorta" clean bulk..

Meal 1: Two 4" whole wheat pancakes, 6 egg whites w/1 full egg, 1 multi vit.
    (P/C)

Meal 2: A portion of pasta, veggies, 8 oz. Chicken breast
    (P/C)

Meal 3: 1 Cup of whole wheat oatmeal, bowl of fruits, Protein shake
    (P/C)

Workout

Meal 4: PWO- 1:2 Protein/dextrose (50/100)
    (P/C)

Meal 5: 8 oz extra lean sirloin, baked potatoe, veggies
    (P/C)

Meal 6: 8 oz chicken breast, baked potatoe
    (P/C)

Meal 7: Protein shake, 2 tbs natty pb
    (P/F)
    Last edited by Reelmuscle; 08-09-2005 at 12:44 AM.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelmuscle
    Well, It is time to bulk up. 24 yrs old, 5'7, 175 lbs, 9-10%. Here is my bulking diet, PLEASE critique..I am doing a "kinda sorta" clean bulk..

Meal 1: Two 4" whole wheat pancakes, 6 egg whites w/1 full egg, 1 multi vit.
    (P/C)

Meal 2: A portion of pasta, veggies, 8 oz. Chicken breast
    (P/C)

Meal 3: 1 Cup of whole wheat oatmeal, bowl of fruits, 2 tbs of natty pb
    (P/C/F)

Workout

Meal 4: PWO- 1:2 Protein/dextrose (50/100)
    (P/C)

Meal 5: 8 oz lean sirloin, baked potatoe, salad
    (P/C)

Meal 6: 2 cans of tuna w/ 2 tbs of mayo (I hate this meal)
    (P/F)

Meal 7: Protein shake, 1 tbs flax (Can I add a bran muffin too?)
    (P/F)

I don't like meal 6 because I HATE tuna. Any suggestions for a 6th meal?

Can I add a bran muffin with meal 7? Like I said, this is a "Kinda sorta" kind of bulk..lol.

Please critique. Thanks fellas.
    um... overall (although you didn't supply the appr. amount of each macro per meal) it looks like a LOT of protein..possibly too much...Afterall, you're only 175 lbs (LBM of about 158 lbs)...and if you bump your protein/caloric intake too high over maintenance...you WILL get fat. Gaining more fat than muscle is not the goal of bulking.

That aside, Meal 3 really isn't a complete meal (no 'complete' protein source)...and Meal 5(PPWO) really isn't a pro/carb meal persay...With Steak as the protein source, it's more along the lines of pro/fat/carb.

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    um... overall (although you didn't supply the appr. amount of each macro per meal) it looks like a LOT of protein..possibly too much...Afterall, you're only 175 lbs (LBM of about 158 lbs)...and if you bump your protein/caloric intake too high over maintenance...you WILL get fat. Gaining more fat than muscle is not the goal of bulking.

That aside, Meal 3 really isn't a complete meal (no 'complete' protein source)...and Meal 5(PPWO) really isn't a pro/carb meal persay...With Steak as the protein source, it's more along the lines of pro/fat/carb.
    For meal #3, I concentrate more on my carb intake so I can have sustained energy for working out. The oatmeal for crash-free enrgy source and the fruits for instant energy (Got this reasoning from the latest M&F)

As far as meal #5, it is 95.5% lean sirloin. It only contains 4.5 grams of fat.

If I don't know what I am talking about, please tell me. And if the above is not good, what do you recommend?

bump.. Any help?

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    i agree with nark the protein intake seems too high for someone your size. you def need to clean up some of those meals. I wouldnt combine all macro's as much as you do either.

-SHRED

Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    i agree with nark the protein intake seems too high for someone your size. you def need to clean up some of those meals. I wouldnt combine all macro's as much as you do either.

-SHRED
    Well, what do you recommend??

Also remember that this is a bulking diet..

You're already taking carbs in the two meals prior to meal 3...so the 'concentrating more on carb intake" in meal 3 is bunk. You aren't in carb-starved state that this carb-dominant meal will have any dramatic effect on your energy levels during training.

A meal must be pro+carb or pro+fat to qualify as a meal... doesn't matter if you're bulking or not. A bulking regime's purpose is to increase the total number of consumed kilocalories over that required for maintenance. The amount required for sustained weight gain is usually around 500 kcals over maintenance...the macro ratios don't change just because you're bulking.

Breakfast: pro+carb; PWO: pro+carb; PPWO: pro+carb
    Other meals: pro+fat

simple.

And the reasoning of meal 3 is flawed: combining oatmeal with fruit will produce a more steady insulin spike than fruit alone... i.e. no 'instant energy'. ('instant energy' in itself is bunk too)

Ok, how about this...

Meal 1: Two 4" whole wheat pancakes, 8 egg whites, 1 multi vit.
    (P/C)

Meal 2: Extra lean sirloin, 2 slices of swiss, bowl of salad
    (P/F)

Meal 3: 2 cans of tuna, 2 tbs of full fat mayo
    (P/F)

Meal #4: 8 oz chicken breast, 1.5 cup of rice
    (P/C)

Workout

Meal 5: PWO- 1:2 Protein/dextrose (50/100)
    (P/C)

Meal 6: PPWO- 8 oz extra lean sirloin, baked potatoe, veggies
    (P/C)

Meal 7: 8 oz chicken breast, 2 tbs of natty pb
    (P/F)

Meal 8: Protein shake, 1.5 tbs of flax
    (P/F)

I know you said only P/C on three of the meals, but I NEED carbs before I work out, hence my 4th meal is a P/C meal.

Does this look better?..I just don't think this will fill me up..
    Last edited by Reelmuscle; 08-09-2005 at 01:13 AM.

The macros are cleaner...Still a lot of calories IMO...but start it and see how you progress on it. If you put on too much fat you can just cut back.

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    The macros are cleaner...Still a lot of calories IMO...but start it and see how you progress on it. If you put on too much fat you can just cut back.
    You know, it is weird because I will tell you right now that this meal plan will make me screaming for food at night because i am ALWAYS hungry. I just don't think this is enough, but you know better than me. What should I do comes my after my 8th meal and i am still starving?

Thanks for your help btw. Much appreciated.

What should I do comes my after my 8th meal and i am still starving?
    Go to sleep...

No really...i somehow don't see you getting hunger pangs on this diet.

Try it and then come back here with your feelings on it...bump this thread too in response.

Generally if you get hungry too often you'll have to play around with your macros: cutting some carbs in the favour of adding some dietary fat. Dietary fat has higher saeity.
    Last edited by *Narkissos*; 08-09-2005 at 02:01 AM.

Thanks buddy. Your help is much appreciated. I will go to sleep now and bump this thread in a week or 2 to let you know how it is going. I can almost guarantee you i am going to be bitchin about how I am always hungry at night, lol, but we will see.

Thanks again man.

Instead of starting a new thread, i thought I would ask this question here.

For a PWO meal, i know the norm is a 2:1 of dextrose to protein. What i am wondering is:

Is it ok to throw in a cup of quaker whole wheat oatmeal in that shake making it a oatmeal/dextrose/protein shake instead of just dextrose/protein?

And if it is ok, would the ratio of dextrose to protein still be 2:1 or does that differ now that I have an extra 33 grams of carbs coming from oatmeal? Thanks in advance

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    Instead of starting a new thread, i thought I would ask this question here.

For a PWO meal, i know the norm is a 2:1 of dextrose to protein. What i am wondering is:

Is it ok to throw in a cup of quaker whole wheat oatmeal in that shake making it a oatmeal/dextrose/protein shake instead of just dextrose/protein?

And if it is ok, would the ratio of dextrose to protein still be 2:1 or does that differ now that I have an extra 33 grams of carbs coming from oatmeal? Thanks in advance
    I guess its ok but its unnecessary...stick to the basics, PWO - dex / prot 2:1

if it is not necessary, does that mean it is bad? I am bulking now, and i want the extra calories, but if this comes of as "bad weight" then i will not take it.

Thread Information