eljeffe is offline Junior Member

Solid food vs Suppliments research?

I have been told that I eat too many suppliments instead of solid food, which is true, my question being does anyone know of any scientific studies that have been conducted that show solid food gives more gains than a supplimental equivilant? I always thought a calorie was a calorie. Thanks in advance

ie a food with 30 g of protien vs 30 g protien suppliment

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    A calorie is not a calorie at all, that does not take into effect the thermal value of food, impact on blood sugar, digestion rates etc.... So when people on here say eat more whole food its for good reasons. First off digesting whole foods take longer and have a much higher thermal value, meaning it takes calories to process these foods as well as you are fuller longer. Supplements your diet with too many things also leaves out too many important things such as vital micronutrients that are found in abundance in whole foods. The human body was meant to consume wholesome, healthy natural foods, when given these things it functions optimally. Do I think you need to supplement some protein, hell yeah. Also supplementing some Oils, such as flax and Fish is a good thing. But you should make it a priority to eat whole foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    A calorie is not a calorie at all, that does not take into effect the thermal value of food, impact on blood sugar, digestion rates etc.... So when people on here say eat more whole food its for good reasons. First off digesting whole foods take longer and have a much higher thermal value, meaning it takes calories to process these foods as well as you are fuller longer. Supplements your diet with too many things also leaves out too many important things such as vital micronutrients that are found in abundance in whole foods. The human body was meant to consume wholesome, healthy natural foods, when given these things it functions optimally. Do I think you need to supplement some protein, hell yeah. Also supplementing some Oils, such as flax and Fish is a good thing. But you should make it a priority to eat whole foods.
    Cool thanks, all real good points, have you ever seen anything in a study showing this, I am not doubting you at all, I actually agree just curious?

I mean I can show you study that state the thermal effect of protein meals as well as studies that show protein increases satiety as well as appitite. But these are done with whole food sources, it should be obvious that powdered Whey Protein will not accomplish this. I think I can dig up something that states the digestion timeframe of Whey, which is much quicker than any whole food source, Esp. if that whole food source has some fat too.

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    so Giantz? basically what your saying is protein from food is better than from whey because of the thermal effect the food produces? - keeping the body more active and burning more calories as a result

i always new food was better than whey but wasnt sure why until now

obviously i new that whey digests quicker - which is why we use it PWO

i personally only use 2 scoops PWO - and 1scoop in the morning with my oats

Also whey is the body really has to work much harder to break down wholefood sources of protein. Keeping you in the fed state longer, which is key when dieting, also helping you expend more cals too (thermal effect). The benefits are numerous, I'd suggest getting most of your protein this way, only using Whey when you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Also whey is the body really has to work much harder to break down wholefood sources of protein. Keeping you in the fed state longer, which is key when dieting, also helping you expend more cals too (thermal effect). The benefits are numerous, I'd suggest getting most of your protein this way, only using Whey when you have to.
    So would that mean that if you are trying to bulk then you would want to have a low thermal state, I know the answer to this is no but why is that?

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    Other reasons being that whole food is abundant with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants in their natural form which are better absorbed in such a way. Ever wonder why people bother eating fruit veg and meat, when they cud save time by drinking crap - the answer being it isnt quite the same. Food offers you different digestion rates depending on what you eat, plenty of anitoxidants, vits and minerals, fibre/ roughage and you shud get as much of ur caloric intake as poss from whole foods, tho in certain situations (eg post workout) supplements can be superior.

Thread Information