Sickest Abs is offline Junior Member

Question about how much protein/carbs I need per day

can someone help me out..I am 6'0 188..trying to put on mass..
    how much carbs and protein should do I need to consume per day...

beenie is offline Senior Member
    0 Carbs. 300 to 400g protien.

dern180 is offline Member
    300 grams of protein per day. Or 1.5 per pound of your body weight.

Originally posted by beenie
    0 Carbs. 300 to 400g protien.
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm 0 carbs for putting on a lot of mass..carbs are most important as well..I know that..

Originally posted by Sickest Abs

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm 0 carbs for putting on a lot of mass..carbs are most important as well..I know that..
    If you already know the answer why are you asking the question?

u serious bro.!?!?!? i am saying how much carbs do I need ot consume..I know for a fact that to put on lots of size u need to eat a lot of carbs..I am not sure how much g/bodyweight or whatevr..thats what i was asking..

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    I am with you abs. I don't think you asked a bad question here. How many carbs does he need????

bump

peace,
    ttgb

NoLimits is offline Member
    I would aim for 300 to 400 grams of protein with at least 400 grams of clean carbs. Or you can always go with the 40-40-20 plan. Which is 40% of your calories from protein, 40% from carbs, and 20% from fats. Try to eat atleast 3500 calories a day if not more. Hope this helps!

xenithon is offline Member
    okay okay everyone calm down. beenie - i ask this nicely - we all know how much you believe in the wonderful zero carb diet, but please do NOT prescribe this for someone looking to bulk. many thank

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    Carbs are very important in supplying the body with a good energy source. Now the low carb diet may work for some and there are alot of bodybuilders that compete that that might hit this type of diet for a week or 2 before a comp to maybe trim down their BF somewhat. The simple fact is that they have SOOO much more muscle mass than the average guy that they can afford to drop a few punds in this area without it being a major or noticable issue. With out carbs your body can not process the protien that you are talking in and thus alot of it is either consumed as a energy source or is cast off as waste or worse possibly converted to BF. The key to getting big is to eat and I mean to eat ALOT. Eat clean but eat ALOT. Now if you begin to see bodytfat percentages rise, then you will HAVE to increase your cardio to burn off the excess calories that you are taking in. Reall, you have seen some of the guy's here. They take in as much as 4000 calories a day. Now how do you suppose they can take in such vast amounts without gaining BF. Cardio and eating clean. But mostly cardio.
    Tobey
    Last edited by Tobey; 05-03-2002 at 02:41 AM.

Originally posted by xenithon
    okay okay everyone calm down. beenie - i ask this nicely - we all know how much you believe in the wonderful zero carb diet, but please do NOT prescribe this for someone looking to bulk. many thank
    His question was specific. He asked "How many carbs do I need?" I answered with my opinion. Then he told me I was wrong.

I suppose it really dependes on what he means for bulking. If the idea is to get fat and then try to turn the fat to muscle than lots of carb and lots of protien are great. If you eat too much protien, it will convert to fat also, its just much harder to do because you would have to eat sooooooo much.

So if you want to get lots of fat to convert eat lots of carbs (with protien). Lots of Pizza and ice cream, and oreo cookies will do the trick. Hey it helped me bulk up to almost 300 lbs!

I didn't really mean to come down on Sickest Abs, it was just that he asked for opinions, I gave him mine and he told me I was wrong. The benefit of this type of dicussion is that he can expect to get lots of differing opinions and he can choose one.

One other thought. I was traveling in Japan recently and observed that the guys there are really small. Thier entire diet consits of carbs and there is very little protien. So, is it fair to conclude that carbs don't build muscle? They were low in body fat too. Is it fair to assume carbs don't cause fat?
    Last edited by beenie; 05-03-2002 at 12:05 PM.

xenithon is offline Member
    i'm stepping onto the wall now. dont have time for petty arguments. as you said beenie, this site IS for discussions ans posting ones own opinions so hey, all is cool

Originally posted by xenithon
    i'm stepping onto the wall now. dont have time for petty arguments. as you said beenie, this site IS for discussions ans posting ones own opinions so hey, all is cool
    Yea, I am with you on that. I must confess that I only have theories on bulking, as I have never really done it. So, he can take my opinion for what its worth (please don't quantify).

In retrospect I wish that I had been a little kinder in my response as I know that I apreciate civility as much as the next guy (and possbly more).

I am really interested in knowing why with such a wierd diet by American standards, the Japanese people have such low bf%.

Just as a note however. I went to a gym in Tokyo. I usually use dumbells for my bench press (Once a week dumbells once a week barbells). I generally use 100 lb dumbells. In my gym there are zillions of guys who fo a lot more weight than I can. In Tokyo the heaviest they had was 25 Kilos (I think thats about 50lbs). I asked for something closer to 45 Kilos, and they jerry-rigged something up for me. This was a fully equipeted gym and it was very nice, as were the people. Unfortunately the jerry-rigged weights were very unstable, but I am driven so I figured I would work with what I had. As I lifted, everyone in the gym stopped to watch me as if I were some sort of a monster or something. It was really quite funny but it made me feel really good. I think I should move to Tokyo!

How does this realte to the thread? Well actually it doesn't. I just HAD to tell someone about it.

RICKY1979 is offline New Member
    bulking or cutting ,you should never ever have a zero carb diet! thats just not very bright

Thread Information