BigBuddha is offline Junior Member

Diet, nutrition, and the grave yard shift

I make my way as a bartender so my days are skewed as apposed to normal peoples hours ( waking up / going to sleep) Im hoping there is a nutritionist in the group that can help. Example if i start work at 10 and eat dinner then. I wont get home till approx 4, plus 8 hours sleep. Thats no protien almost 15 hours while working in a mild to sometimes high erobic activity from 10 -2. The rule of thumb is to limit your carbs later at night to limit fat gains, but does this apply to me, or should I move up all the times I should eat by a couple of hours? (With the understanding that I am currently trying to cut down my BF%) I bring a protien shake to work and drink that at midnight. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dave321 is offline AR's Salad Tossing Connoisseur
    treat your diet the same as you would if you were working days. Your schedule has completely been shifted, therefor your body will adjust. Eating carbs at night is not neccessarily "bad" if you consume them at proper times... ie. ppwo/pwo. Keep eating according to your regular hours.

I think what I also was trying to convey was, does your body actually slow down at night, or does this process depend on your hours of the day? For example, if I wake up at noon, my body is not going to break down food, and slow metabolism down at the same time as someone who wakes up at nine right? Thanks again.

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    No, beacuse your body thinks it night when its day, and treats it as such, it can't tell the difference

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    I bartend as well and have the same problem. But after some time I dont find it a problem anymore as long as I bring food to work as you do.
    I eat the minute before I walk out the door to work. Then I try to eat a bar about 3 hours into work. By the time I get home its only about another 3 hours later and then I eat home.
    Just try to keep a constant flow of food in the system

Jay, you eat after work as well? What time do you get off, and/or go to sleep.

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    my old roomante was a bartender and he competed dude was stacked...he ate normale just like evreyone eles, 6 meals a day sometimes 7 he would take a shake with him to work but as a bartender you dont work till night so you have allday to eat pluse he didnt work evrey day either

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBuddha
    Jay, you eat after work as well? What time do you get off, and/or go to sleep.
    I typically eat at 8pm or so and go into work at 9. Try to eat around Midnight but never happends b/c I'm usually too busy. Last call here in CT is 12:45 weekdays and 1:45 weekends. So I usually sneak my bar in around that time then pound a shake when I get home beofre I go to bed.

Still wake up hungry though. I just try to keep a constant flow of food in me.

Cool, thanks for the advice. Thats about what I do, just wanted to know if I was causing harm by eating that late. Guess its better than starving your body of what it needs.

radar1234 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBuddha
    I make my way as a bartender so my days are skewed as apposed to normal peoples hours ( waking up / going to sleep) Im hoping there is a nutritionist in the group that can help. Example if i start work at 10 and eat dinner then. I wont get home till approx 4, plus 8 hours sleep. Thats no protien almost 15 hours while working in a mild to sometimes high erobic activity from 10 -2. The rule of thumb is to limit your carbs later at night to limit fat gains, but does this apply to me, or should I move up all the times I should eat by a couple of hours? (With the understanding that I am currently trying to cut down my BF%) I bring a protien shake to work and drink that at midnight. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    i also work at a bar.the staff get 50% off food so i eat 2 steaks and veggies per shift(only costs me 10 bucks!). i just eat at the bar when i get a chance every 3-4 hours.

Thread Information