Thread: The BANANA???

Flex2winny is offline Associate Member

The BANANA???

Why are we so damn afraid of this fruit? Sugar??? It's not high in sugar at all. In a meal after sleeping for 8 hours, isnt this optimal? To increase our liver gly., so we can function>>> So we can train harder? Soo we can feel better reduce soreness, etc. Shit. We consume mass quantities of milk which have 10x as much sugar (albeit from lactose, nonsimple) but you get my point. Is it SC putting the fear of God into us? If so, it's worked cause I layed off of them, but I want to have them in my oats again!!!!!!!!1

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Flex2winny
    Why are we so damn afraid of this fruit? Sugar??? It's not high in sugar at all. In a meal after sleeping for 8 hours, isnt this optimal? To increase our liver gly., so we can function>>> So we can train harder? Soo we can feel better reduce soreness, etc. Shit. We consume mass quantities of milk which have 10x as much sugar (albeit from lactose, nonsimple) but you get my point. Is it SC putting the fear of God into us? If so, it's worked cause I layed off of them, but I want to have them in my oats again!!!!!!!!1

LOL @ SC putting the fear of god into us

In a cutting diet, sugar is the enemy, even for breakfast. THat is why. Bulking however, I don't see fruit being a problem, as it is low GI and a good source of anti oxidants.

But the sugar is low...i am bulking, but dont want to consume something with no benefits....goal is to stay as lean as possible....hell, pizza every once in awhile isnt bad when bulking either, but I doubt the 2 compare...lol......anyone eat em???? stay lean?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    We consume mass quantities of milk
    Who is "WE"??

Is it SC putting the fear of God into us?
    I don't have that ability, but I do have the ability to transform people entirely 180 degrees, yes, so I may know what I am talking about. Again, you have to have ONE PLAN of attack and do this for weeks on end to see if it works for you. I don't work 1 to 1 with you, so I have no idea what you are doing, what you can get away with, the cardio you do, etc., so I cannot advise.

Some of my clients do "this", some do "that", some do this and that, etc. It's what we as trainers/nutritionists do, we GUIDE people by the results that are reported back to us. I cannot speculate and say "yes you can eat this or no you cannot" as I cannot answer open ended questions accurately. No one can truthfully as there is no true way to know.

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 09-04-2005 at 09:08 PM.

bombastico is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeanMeOut
    LOL @ SC putting the fear of god into us

In a cutting diet, sugar is the enemy, even for breakfast. THat is why. Bulking however, I don't see fruit being a problem, as it is low GI and a good source of anti oxidants.
    Is a banana in the morning (w/oats and whey I usually have for breakfast) on a "gain lean muscle mass kind of diet" ok? Because at the moment I am on that diet plan but I incorporate the banana in. But if it's not good for that type of diet and my goal of packing on 10-12 lbs of lean muscle all the while keeping or shedding a few BF% points off (I am at 16%, would like to gain 10-12 lbs of lean muscle and get to 12-13% BF. Is the banana a good idea for me or not?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Well, one banana is not going to be the difference in your goals, so it's fine to include it in your breakfast on a bulking diet, yes. However, I'd not try to purposely CUT fat AND gain lean mass at the same time, I'd have a focus on one or the other and if you get a nice "side effect" of the other goal, that is great. Better to do very well in one goal and only a little on the other, rather than be sub-par in both areas and just spin the wheels.

Burnout.

~SC~

sc - one final ? and this dies...do you incorporate fruits? If so when and why? Thanks bro.

bigdogc is offline Associate Member
    why dont we incorporate fruits into our diets? i have often thought of this, as well as milk in a daily diet. The pros; fruits and milk can be consumed and keep the dieter satisfied without having to consume many calories. The cons; the carbs are sugar. So how will 20g of sugar effect us? With depleted glycogen in the morning it is easier to utilize fats as a source of energy. If we fill that glycogen up does this effect what our body will use as energy for the rest of the day? Ive never taken a class on nutrition, nor do I research this stuff (not often at least). Lets all look at this from a scientific point of view and see what happens as the body metabolizes milk/fruits in the morning. Who can give us the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogc
    why dont we incorporate fruits into our diets? i have often thought of this, as well as milk in a daily diet. The pros; fruits and milk can be consumed and keep the dieter satisfied without having to consume many calories. The cons; the carbs are sugar. So how will 20g of sugar effect us? With depleted glycogen in the morning it is easier to utilize fats as a source of energy. If we fill that glycogen up does this effect what our body will use as energy for the rest of the day? Ive never taken a class on nutrition, nor do I research this stuff (not often at least). Lets all look at this from a scientific point of view and see what happens as the body metabolizes milk/fruits in the morning. Who can give us the answer?
    great stuff bro......anyone??? I would LOOVE to know the true beneifts of a banana in the first meal...yes, fine, this is a dumb post, but the debate is neverending....please, settle it...what are the beneifts? Do the outweigh the negatives????

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    sc - one final ? and this dies...do you incorporate fruits? If so when and why? Thanks bro.
    Before you work out. The fructose from the fruit helps stimulate you thyroid. Thats when I woul take it.

Sorry you said SC, but take it for what its worth
    abstrack@protonmail.com

how about after am fasted cardio...bout an hour in meal 1?

tatertoos is offline Associate Member
    Fruits are neither the savior nor the devil in a diet plan. My advice... eat them when you want but try not to overindulge as they are carb calories.

If it comes down to it and I have to eat something other than meat and veggies, I'll splurge on a banana or some berries and won't bat an eyelash.

Zoulmate is offline New Member
    Fresh Fruits always good for your health!

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    how about after am fasted cardio...bout an hour in meal 1?
    I dont do it when cutting, but go ahead if you want to.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

diesel21 is offline Member
    so true, i basically eat around 4,000 calories a day while bulking and i barley put any weight on....i even eat plate fulls of pasta b4 bed. haha...

I_Want_Abs is offline Senior Member
    i luv my bananas and all other fruit i blend bananas into my morning protien shakes and have another 4 pieces of various fruits throughout the day apples,manderines,pears etc....
    i dont seem to put on much if any noticable body fat at all so eating that much fruit doesnt bother me + they taste great........
    i find them to be good snacks inbetween meals

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdogc
    If you are on a diet, you are in a caloric deficit. No carbs will lead to weight gain. Your liver and muscle glycogen stores will never be full (esp in the morning, they will nearly depleted). A benefit to keeping muscle and liver glycogen high during dieting is signaling to your body that you are in the "fed" state. When muscle and liver glycogen get too low there are a set of hormonal actions to counter this, one is the deanimation of amino's from gluconeogenesis, this is something you never want. To determine what your body uses for energy will ultimately depend on your caloric deficit and what you have done in terms of nutrient partitioning (exercise). Your body runs on Homeostasis, meaning it trys to keep a balance in everything it does. Your body will use a mix of everything during the day regardless of muscle glycogen.

I_Want_Abs is offline Senior Member
    whats wrong with that

carb only??? Everyone says the nanan is too damn high in sugar,,,,,almost everyone. Here's one post, thoughts?

I disagree about fructose not being in a bodybuilding diet. Fructose is used to replensih liver glycogen which is available for whole body use, the human brain uses around 100g of glucose per day, whereas muscle glycogen is only usable by the muscle. I'm also convinced that maintaining liver glycogen levels helps keep the body from putting on the "stop fat loss" brakes because reduced liver glycogen is a "starvation signal." I've read the human liver can store between 100 and 150 grams of glucose so you would have to consume large amounts of fruit in a small number of sitting to hit the usage plus storage threshold leading to fat storage. My .02

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I'd not try to purposely CUT fat AND gain lean mass at the same time, I'd have a focus on one or the other and if you get a nice "side effect" of the other goal, that is great. Better to do very well in one goal and only a little on the other, rather than be sub-par in both areas and just spin the wheels.

Burnout.

~SC~
    Very well said, I started seeing my first significant mass gains/fat loss (depends on what I was going after) as soon as I came to peace with that simple rule!

Thread Information