Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Eating according to your heritage

I think eating according to your heritage is very important. The ammount of carbs/fat/protein you need is obviously closely link to your genetic makeupp and the easiest way to figure it out is to trace back to what kind of people was your ancestors.

I think those whos ancestors where mostly hunter tribes in northern regions like northern europe(russia, sweden, norway, finland, scotland and the mountain areas of europe ect) is probably adapted to less carbs, more protein and more fat. I can just imagine the natural conditions in sweden before modern day. Very little fruits, not much veggies either. I imagine my ancestors lived mostly on meat and some berrys(not much, the winter is very long so during limited periods). Maby some wierd dishes that could be made from stuff found in the woods. Most of the micros I assume they got from eating ALL parts of the animals like brain, intestines ect.

Now Im not saying northern people should eat brain But what Im saying is that if your ancestors is from northern europe chanses are big you are "made" to eat less carbs and more fat.

If your diet isnt working that well I think it would probably be a good idea to spend a moment thinking about what your ancestors probably ate. The perfect example of this is the inuits on greenland. After introducing modern food into those peoples diets the health has hit rock bottom and obesity climbing.

Another example is lactose intolerance. The people that has for centuries used diary products have very low % of population that is lactose intolerante. While other areas of the world has very high lactose intolerance.

Maby just comon sense but before starting a diet spend a moment thinking about if your ancestors where primarly meat or fruit/nut eaters

I am a good example. I do better strenght and looks wise on lower carb diets. Not even full keto makes me lose energy or make me perform less in the gym.

My ancestry is completely swedish and finish.

My dad is 81 years old and even though he is a alcoholic his health is very good and he is in awsome shape for his age. He almost never eat any carb rich food, just some fruits everyday.
    He mostly eat raindeer and elk meat. Lots of saturated fats and perfect cholesterol.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    I like the theory and I do think that ones Somatype as well as ancestory has to do with genetic makeup as well as metabolism. It's very weird how everything effects everybody differently. If I do low cabr I never feel good, and am on suicide watch 24/7.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    2 years ago , for 1.5 months my diet was fruit , vegetables , wine , fish (all kinds including shrimp , crab , squid etc...)honey , olive oil/flax oil/some butter and water nothing but those..I could see all six abs with veins running down my lower abs , fvcking ripped and energy levels/edurance was thru the roof....Ancestry: Egyptian thats the diet I responded to best and all those pharoh dudes ate almost the exact same things

yeah its fascinating. What is your ancestry giantz?

LAW
    LAW is offline Female Member
    Sounds like an interesting theory. If there isn't already a diet book based on that you could make a lot of $$$. 1/2 german, 1/2 unknown
    German food with their abundance of beer, meats, and dairy products, feature specialties like "Spannferkel" (spit roasted baby pig), "Handkaes" (a smelly type of cheese mixture made with sour cream) and "Schwaebische Kasespaetzle" (small drop-shaped flour dumplings topped with cheese and butter).
    That sounds like a heart attack about to happen. They are the largest producer of Hops too! Beer anyone!
    Last edited by LAW; 09-07-2005 at 08:32 AM.

German and English, which means I can drink a shitload of booze and would have the German Beer gut to follow. Not sure about the dietary nature of those counties but they must have eatten plenty of grains etc.... Cause withouts carbs I cannot function.

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    very interesting johan, food for thought. Kind of an evolutionists approach to dieting.

Well Somatype for sure has an effect on what you look like. If you are a Endomorph, you most likely came from a place where Famine was common and over the course of time your metabolism adapted and you are able to store BF much easier in case of any famine. If you are an Ectomorph from a place where food is abundant, you would not need store BF, and quite possibly the opposite. And so on....

juicy_brucy is offline Ripped, not bulky
    I am prodomanently Irish... so a potato diet for me!

got fina? is offline Member
    I love the theory and am always thinking about stuff like that.
    To me it makes perfect sense, and has to do with how your body changes threw evolution.
    Excellent post....

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    German and English, which means I can drink a shitload of booze and would have the German Beer gut to follow. Not sure about the dietary nature of those counties but they must have eatten plenty of grains etc.... Cause withouts carbs I cannot function.
    I wonder how civilised the german "barbarians" where. Does germany have good soil for growing grains ect?

Quote Originally Posted by LAW
    Sounds like an interesting theory. If there isn't already a diet book based on that you could make a lot of $$$. 1/2 german, 1/2 unknown
    German food with their abundance of beer, meats, and dairy products, feature specialties like "Spannferkel" (spit roasted baby pig), "Handkaes" (a smelly type of cheese mixture made with sour cream) and "Schwaebische Kasespaetzle" (small drop-shaped flour dumplings topped with cheese and butter).
    That sounds like a heart attack about to happen. They are the largest producer of Hops too! Beer anyone!
    Im pretty sure there is research going on about this. Just a idea I threw out now but I have faint memories of reading stuff about it sometime.

Giantz what does "somatype" mean exactly? Im not familiar with that word

Well Somatype for sure has an effect on what you look like. If you are a Endomorph, you most likely came from a place where Famine was common and over the course of time your metabolism adapted and you are able to store BF much easier in case of any famine. If you are an Ectomorph from a place where food is abundant, you would not need store BF, and quite possibly the opposite. And so on....
    Damn I hate my ancestors. Offcourse if there is a war or shortage of food Il be able to survive and stay strong for a LONG time

Somatype refers basically to Body type, Mesomorph, Ectomorph, Endomorph. People are usually not just one type but a blend. I for example am a Meso/Endo. I can put n mass quite easily and I'm very strong and musular. However fat gain is also very very easy as well as difficult to remove. My BF setpoint is naturally about 14% so getting uder that causes a cascade of hormonal changes.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    Im pretty sure there is research going on about this. Just a idea I threw out now but I have faint memories of reading stuff about it sometime.
    Giantz what does "somatype" mean exactly? Im not familiar with that word

The bodytype you are born with :endo , etco , meso etc...

Damn I hate my ancestors. Offcourse if there is a war or shortage of food Il be able to survive and stay strong for a LONG time
    Ill hunt you down and have you for lunch

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFreakX
    2 years ago , for 1.5 months my diet was fruit , vegetables , wine , fish (all kinds including shrimp , crab , squid etc...)honey , olive oil/flax oil/some butter and water nothing but those..I could see all six abs with veins running down my lower abs , fvcking ripped and energy levels/edurance was thru the roof....Ancestry: Egyptian thats the diet I responded to best and all those pharoh dudes ate almost the exact same things
    What kind of meals did you make with these foods bro? I'm curious.

Somatype refers basically to Body type, Mesomorph, Ectomorph, Endomorph. People are usually not just one type but a blend. I for example am a Meso/Endo. I can put n mass quite easily and I'm very strong and musular. However fat gain is also very very easy as well as difficult to remove. My BF setpoint is naturally about 14% so getting uder that causes a cascade of hormonal changes.
    I think my BF% setpoint is right around that aswell. Maby a bit higher like 15-16%. Thats where I stabilise when I eat when Im hungry and what I want. I can always very easily get down to 11-12%bf but at that point my body hits the breaks bigtime.

I think I am as close to pure endo as possible. I gain fat very fast but I dont gain muscle fast.

I wonder if the bf% setpoint is the most healthy point to be at....

Let me tell you if you are a pure Endo, you're doing a GREAT job for even getting that low. Getting below your setpoint is a real bitch, however there are ways to help this.

next time I cut Il be your guinnea pig for sure

that I cant get below 10% is for sure not lack of trying, lack of general knoweledge or lack of effort. I dont think I have ever encountered anyone that have such a hard time getting ripped and gain fat so easily.

The BF setpoint is where you want to be perioid. It is where the body wants to be and its where you perform optimally. Once you get below your setpoint the brain gets smarter than you and tries to end this madness.

Don't worry Johan I gotta few ideas for you that might make it easier than you thought getting lower BF.

Quote Originally Posted by AandF6969
    What kind of meals did you make with these foods bro? I'm curious.
    wake up have grilled shrimp/olive oil and wine

go to the beach for a couple of hours have some fish and fruit

spend time in the beach , going to the mountains , desert etc... then have some more fish and olive oil and a couple of fruits

at nite Id eat yes , more fish/crab/squid drink some more wine , party have sex again

I had no set schedule really I just ate when i was hungry , drank bout 3-4 glasses of wine a day and did alot of walking , swimming , sex ,volleyball , hiking , pushups , pull ups , etc.. no weights

wake up have grilled shrimp/olive oil and wine

go to the beach for a couple of hours have some fish and fruit

spend time in the beach , going to the mountains , desert etc... then have some more fish and olive oil and a couple of fruits

at nite Id eat yes , more fish/crab/squid drink some more wine , party have sex again

I had no set schedule really I just ate when i was hungry , drank bout 3-4 glasses of wine a day and did alot of walking , swimming , sex ,volleyball , hiking , pushups , pull ups , etc.. no weights
    You lucky bastard.

You lucky bastard.
    that was the life...Man do i miss it ...but I aint so lucky now...Having a harder time dieting now even tho my diet is better fuckin wierd

that was the life...Man do i miss it ...but I aint so lucky now...Having a harder time dieting now even tho my diet is better fuckin wierd
    Usually the way it works out!

bigdogc is offline Associate Member
    i think its a great theory. genetics play such a role in bodybuilding. what are some of the properties that are associated with good genetics though? i could imagine some people have more testerone levels, more IGF levels, higher protein sythesis level, less cortisol, less insulin /gh resistance naturally. are there any true ways to test for "good genetics"?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogc
    i think its a great theory. genetics play such a role in bodybuilding. what are some of the properties that are associated with good genetics though? i could imagine some people have more testerone levels, more IGF levels, higher protein sythesis level, less cortisol, less insulin/gh resistance naturally. are there any true ways to test for "good genetics"?
    I belive you can test for the genetic make up of muscle fibers, fast twitch and slow twitch. That should help one determine a sport. Genetics has alot to do with ones hormone levels.

yeah along with that u can check for hormone levels and I think u can do a DNA thing the ones they use to find out if certain families have those wierd ass rare diseases , Lung capacity test , Etc.. etc... Or you can just have a beer and relax

yeah along with that u can check for hormone levels and I think u can do a DNA thing the ones they use to find out if certain families have those wierd ass rare diseases , Lung capacity test , Etc.. etc... Or you can just have a beer and relax
    Just make sure the Beer of choice is alined with your herritage. That means I'll be drinking a nice cold Becks!

bigdogc is offline Associate Member
    20 keystones a day= ~2000 calories. The RDA would be very happy that i am getting enough nutrients

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    great post..
    very interesting..

Girlyman is offline Associate Member
    well I better eat some dogfood because I'm a mut

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlyman
    well I better eat some dogfood because I'm a mut
    Then I'll stick to ambrosia because I'm a mother fvcking GOD

diesel21 is offline Member
    dam, lucky me, i always stick to my italian food,,,,,,,,, i can't even imagine how crappy it tastes in other states, in ny you can find some decent places, but its still not ITALY italian food...

can't beat mamma's cookin

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Where would this leave someone like me of very very mixed ancestry? lol

Technically a black male: but with brown skin; green(hazel) eyes; and a straight nose..indicating African/mixed-European descent...lol

um... plenty of meat...pleanty of carbs...plenty of fat...and beer?

Interesting post as always Johan.

~Nark

Ambulance is offline Member
    I'm Irish, does that mean I should shuffle down the kilt lifter and samuel adams? haha just kidding, good read.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    so what if your are extremely mixxed??? lol. a little bit of europe, some africa in there, maybe some australioan too?? lol

i am 100% european though, and i kinda like your theory

Thread Information